Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I've only watched one episode so far, but I like it, and I think Finn Jones is a pretty good Iron Fist. Is he ever going to get his costume? I don't mind if he doesn't have it immediately, as long as he gets it at some point, like DD. It would be a pretty easy one to do imo.

Just past ep6 now.

Thus far it's...a challenge to stay fully invested in. Danny doesn't feel like an especially well-defined character - his temperament, attitude and competence vary wildly, sometimes from scene to scene, and I still don't really know what the hell he wants. Like, I get that he returned to NYC because he was homesick, but why make such a big deal about reinserting himself into the company? He knows nothing about business and, given how okay he is with wearing rags and going without shoes, cares little for money. So his sense of entitlement feels out of place. It's also a bit weird that he gives so much of a damn about the Hand after bailing on K'un-Lun because he got bored waiting for them, essentially.

Not really feeling Finn Jones either. He's fine, but he's yet to really hit a particular high note that seals him as this character. Charlie Cox really nailed the charming, well-meaning lady's man attitude that identified him as very much a Waid/Samnee Matt Murdock (albeit stuck in a Frank Miller world); Krysten Ritter opens every conversation with a withering disdain that fit Jessica Jones like a beaten-up leather jacket; and Mike Colter has that 'articulate tough guy' vibe down to a science. I'm not really getting an equivalent from Jones, so all we have to identify Danny as a character are the things the script provides - the flashback/hallucination bits, the over-explaining, etc. Also, if you don't mind me indulging my Social Justice Blackmage side for a moment, good lord does this skinny-ass pale dude look monumentally stupid doing all those tai chi poses.

Actually, on that subject, I almost wish the show was prepared to lean even more into cultural appropriation and whatnot. It'd piss people off, but throwing more stereotypical 'Asian' stuff in there would at least give the project a sense of artistic identity, which it desperately needs.

What do I actually like...well, the Meachums, in general. The amount of boardroom drama going on in a show about Iron Fist is bonkers, but there may be a certain genius to it since the Meachums are a better-defined bunch of characters than anyone else in the show. Harold is the immediate stand-out because he's just so weird, and David Wenham has an off-kilter charm to his line delivery that makes him feel very magnetic, yet still intimidating. But Ward and Joy grew on me pretty fast, too. It's a shame that they feel almost like satellites as the Hand-related stuff takes over.

Colleen Wing is badass, as promised. I'm not quite feeling her character arc - I'm not really sure what her arc is, at least not after ep4 or so - but Jessica Henwick has great screen presence and her fights are usually more frenetic and tense than any involving Danny, so, sign my name to the 'give us a Daughters of the Dragon show plz' petition.

Oh, and ep6 was honestly terrific. It's the first one where the stuff about Danny is absolutely the most important thread (but still doesn't devalue what the others are doing), and not coincidentally feels the most like an old-school Hong Kong martial arts flick...
    spoilers:
    ...right down to forcing Danny into a mini-kumite against Gao's favourite pack of weirdo assassins.
    end of spoilers
    Hopefully the back half lean more in that sort of direction.
    Hey, you! Visit the Domino Appreciation Thread right now, or DOOP GETS IT!

I'm wondering about the timeline compared to the other Marvel Netflix shows considering the inclusion of Carrie Ann Moss
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I'm wondering about the timeline compared to the other Marvel Netflix shows considering the inclusion of Carrie Ann Moss
    It's clearly set after Luke Cage. It's made obvious once Claire shows up.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's clearly set after Luke Cage. It's made obvious once Claire shows up.
    Madame Gao refers to Daredevil and Luke Cage. (without using their names) in episode 7.
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Class 5 Roaming Vapor BeastieRunner's Avatar

Daughters of the Dragon, Heroes for Hire, Moon Knight, Blade is what this series makes me want to see on Netflix next.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Jersey City - or you can call it the TWiLighT Zone

Saw the 1st Ep, yeah I'm thinking there is some SJW bias going on here, it may not be the greatest tv show but it isn't bad in anyway or form
    Last edited by 5Eyes; 03-18-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    At one point Claire gives Danny one of Luke's bullet-riddled hoodies.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Daughters of the Dragon, Heroes for Hire, Moon Knight, Blade is what this series makes me want to see on Netflix next.
    I'm not sure how Heroes for Hire would be different from Defenders, a show that was IIRC originally going to be called Heroes for Hire.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    Madame Gao refers to Daredevil and Luke Cage. (without using their names) in episode 7.
    She calls them by name too later on

So I watched the fist two episodes, and only because it had really bad reviews, so I wanted to know how bad it actually was.

And turns out that it's perfectly good. What were the reviewers thinking? Fights could be better, but they're certainly not bad. The only real problem I have is that it's really slow. I don't know if I'm going to finish the whole season. But I still wouldn't call it that big of a problem to warrant such bad reviews.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Colleen Wing is the only interesting character in this show. Without her, I'd fall asleep.
    Yeah, that's pretty much where I am, six episodes in.

It's interesting to see a lot of people looking for 'justification' for the bad reviews. It's basically Batman vs Superman all over again, although now it's not an anti-DC bias that is inspiring critics to write a bad reviews, it's an SJW bias. Because the one thing it absolutely, positively couldn't be is that they just weren't keen on the show. Which is odd... because it doesn't seem like a huge leap to think that anyone might not enjoy Iron Fist. For all sorts of reasons, many of which have been mentioned in the reviews.

For me, Iron Fist isn't all that dissimilar to any of Netflix's previous Marvel efforts. And as I haven't been a huge fan of any of those so far, it just seems like the critics are finally catching on... maybe now the "gritty realism" novelty is wearing off. Full disclosure, I only watched the first couple of episodes of season 1 of Daredevil before skipping to the finale to see if it had improved. It hadn't. For season 2, I watched an episode or two out of curiousity about Elektra but again, it wasn't for me.

Jessica Jones I did stick with, although in the end, that was almost entirely down to Tennant's performance, which was the one thing about the whole series with any kind of life to it. And having been bored bandy by Luke Cage during JJ, I didn't bother watching his show.

And so to Iron Fist, which I was going to skip too. But curiosity got the better of me and I did start watching. And yep, like Tennant in JJ, there's only one character/performance right now that has kept me coming back for one more episode. And that's Colleen. Everyone else is... meh. To be fair, there's nothing inherently bad about the show in tangible terms (such as bad writing or performances). It's more simply about what the show isn't. It isn't interesting, it isn't exciting, it isn't engaging. It's just episode after episode of stuff happening... without much really happening.

The guy playing Danny is alright, he's likeable enough. But he's also not the most charismatic of characters - although, to be fair, the same applies to Netflix's Matt, Jessica and Luke, so he's in good/bland company.

I'm still planning on watching the rest of the series, but I might find my finger hovering over the Fast Forward button whenever Colleen isn't on screen soon... and I don't imagine I'll be missing much if I do speed things up a little.

On another note, Colleen's fight scenes have been great - but they're retrospectively making Jessica look even more useless by comparison, considering that they exist in the same universe. OK, Jessica isn't trained but she is strong - I mean that's basically her thing - and yet she often/frequently/let's be honest, most of the time, would struggle to take out even one or two average bad guys. Meanwhile, here's Colleen almost effortlessly taking down two trained fighters, twice the size of her.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 03-19-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    On another note, Colleen's fight scenes have been great - but they're retrospectively making Jessica look even more useless by comparison, considering that they exist in the same universe. OK, Jessica isn't trained but she is strong - I mean that's basically her thing - and yet she often/frequently/let's be honest, most of the time, would struggle to take out even one or two average bad guys. Meanwhile, here's Colleen almost effortlessly taking down two trained fighters, twice the size of her.
    It's the lack of training.
    Jessica could kill those cage fighters with one blow each and there isn't much they could do to defend themselves, but she lacks the skill to take them out quickly without killing them. She needs to hold back a lot in fights.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Jersey City - or you can call it the TWiLighT Zone

It's interesting to see a lot of people looking for 'justification' for the bad reviews. It's basically Batman vs Superman all over again, although now it's not an anti-DC bias that is inspiring critics to write a bad reviews, it's an SJW bias.
    Here's the thing, If you like Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and watch Iron fist and hated it, which is pretty much like any Marvel Netflix's series, we're gonna search for a reason, because the series is pretty much in par with any of the other series, and Unlike DC-Fans (I really do like you guys but lets admit you guys really cannot take bad review and I'm being kind when I say that) who panned critics for being anti-dc which is rooted in pretty much nothing, our reasoning does, ever Since Iron Fist was first announce, the SJW been been in all out war harassing on why Danny Rand is not Asian ... so yes, some of us come up to the conclusion that their review is skewered for that reason or if you prefer we can use the some-what non-rooted reason and say that Rotten Tomatoes is owned by WB (and I say some-what because they kind of do )

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

It's interesting to see a lot of people looking for 'justification' for the bad reviews. It's basically Batman vs Superman all over again, although now it's not an anti-DC bias that is inspiring critics to write a bad reviews, it's an SJW bias. Because the one thing it absolutely, positively couldn't be is that they just weren't keen on the show. Which is odd... because it doesn't seem like a huge leap to think that anyone might not enjoy Iron Fist. For all sorts of reasons, many of which have been mentioned in the reviews.
    There's been an SJW bias against the show the moment Finn Jones was cast as Danny. Dumb shit like this were common around coverage of the show

I've read reviews with a clear SJW bias such as a reviewer saying how "problematic" a scene was with between Danny and Colleen when he was lecturing her about overextending her use of external force while fighting. Apparently it's wrong for a white guy to give advice to an East Asian on improving the way they fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's the lack of training.
    Jessica could kill those cage fighters with one blow each and there isn't much they could do to defend themselves, but she lacks the skill to take them out quickly without killing them. She needs to hold back a lot in fights.
    That's an explanation I've seen before, but it never really rang true, certainly not all the time. Not least of which when she legitimately struggled to get a pair of scissors out an old mans hands... and old man intent on killing himself, thus rendering any concerns Jessica might have had about breaking a bone or two kinda redundant.

It didn't help either that Jessica's levels of strength and durability were pretty inconsistent throughout much of the series too. But even accepting the idea of her being more of a brawler and potentially always holding back, it still feels odd that at this point, Colleen would be a more effective hero to have by your side in a fight than a woman who can stop a car. Occasionally.