Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman's Powers in the DCEU

Hey guys!

I thought I might start a specific thread about Diana's powers in the DCEU because there is a lot to tell!

From the little footage that we have, we know that she is super fast, super strong, might have the ability to fly among other things, without mentioning her special power wave attack that we find so little in the comics. She has used her bracelets as an offensive weapon by banging them together on very few occasions.

But about her super strength, I have actually made some research about the Tank-like automobile that she lifts and throws and I have found that it might be a Ehrhardt E-V/4 which weighs up to 7.75 tons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrhardt_E-V/4

wwtank1.jpg
    wwtank2.jpg
    Ehrhardt_1.jpg

Judging by the way she seems to effortlessly lift it and throw it, we have a pretty good showcasing of her super-strength. She has also been shown to throw people around like they were made of foam and her battle against Doomsday is another pretty explicite display of her super-strength.

Now, when it comes to the power wave thing, I have found a couple of occurences of her banging her bracelets together in an offensive mode in the comics.

The first one was in issue 201 after Hera kicked the floating Islands of Themyscira because Zeus angered her when he was caught spying on Artemis.
    Diana had to deal with the Tsunami which resulted from the crashing of the Islands in the ocean:
    17274185_1845681992338830_1869799098_n (1).jpg
    17274506_1845682002338829_699308953_n (1).jpg
    17269581_1845682029005493_1528653203_o.jpg

The other ones were during Gail Simone's run when Zeus unlocked the code in Diana's bracelets and she also sort of banged her bracelets together in order to defend herself against the goddess Pele and also the Cottus. She is shown crossing her arms, banging her bracelets together, which triggers an electrical explosion around her.

Now, judging by the cinematic visual effects, it is hard to tell what kind of energy is unleashed. Is it pure energy? Or some sort of "solare/electric" flare? The power wave in the origin trailer has different visual effects than the ones in BVS and the JL trailer. Maybe there are various degrees of intensity which influences the type of energy unleashed?
    Last edited by enish; 03-17-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Cool idea for a thread!

You've got most of what she's displayed so far.

Not really a unique power for Diana herself, but the spoilers mentioned that all Amazons apparently speak hundreds of languages, which is how they are able to communicate with Steve. Gotta say, I find that one a bit strange. Steve speaks English. English didn't even EXIST in any form until......what? A thousand years ago? Being very generous?

Also not a power, but one of her capabilities: her sword. We saw it can cut a creature like Doomsday with no problems whatsoever. Superman's fists and heat vision never seemed to do any visible damage to Doomsday. Neither did bullets and missiles from the US military or Batman's plane. Nether did a nuclear explosion. So that sword seems to give Diana the ability to practically bypass super-toughness in a way that no other superhero yet has demonstrated.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Issue 35 from Simone's run:
    17357496_1847053902201639_1787454081_o.jpg

Issue 39 from Simone's run:
    17373153_1847053885534974_1353513624_o.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post

Not really a unique power for Diana herself, but the spoilers mentioned that all Amazons apparently speak hundreds of languages, which is how they are able to communicate with Steve. Gotta say, I find that one a bit strange. Steve speaks English. English didn't even EXIST in any form until......what? A thousand years ago? Being very generous?
    That got me thinking, there is also this report that she had read a book about the sexual pleasure, but I don't remember the title so I can't pinpoint the actual era from which it comes. If they indeed have books and knowledge about the evolution of the outside world, they must have gotten those books from the outside world right? And you have highlighted an interesting point about English, since its actual form is really recent when seen from a historical perspective, so either it is a cultural and historical shortcut OR there definitely something going in there.

http://comicbook.com/2017/03/06/wond...dceu-revealed/

If this is true, then we can put the shockwave power to bed as being tied to her bracelets. Apparently these powers come from her. Not her accessories.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I wonder why Wonder Woman was able to defeat Ares but doesn't stand a chance against Superman, I reckon that power is to Ares what kryptonite is to Superman

Quote Originally Posted by username_ View Post
    I wonder why Wonder Woman was able to defeat Ares but doesn't stand a chance against Superman, I reckon that power is to Ares what kryptonite is to Superman
    What evidence do we have that Diana wouldn't stand a chance against Superman? We saw her go toe-to-toe with the thing that killed him and she inflicted real damage on him, whereas Superman's powers did nothing.

Right now, evidence points strongly in the direction that Diana could kick Clark's ass in a straight fight. She has the defensive capability to negate his ranged advantage from his heat vision. Heck, we saw her take heat vision from Doomsday and it didn't seem to hurt her anyway. She's definitely demonstrating super-strength in her own trailer, so she can hit him hard enough to hurt him. She's got energy blasts. She's got a sword that can probably cut him. She's got the Lasso, which enabled her to hold Doomsday at bay. She may or may not even have flight. And, of course, she's actually a skilled fighter. And we've seen how poorly Clark does against skilled fighters in MOS and BvS.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    What evidence do we have that Diana wouldn't stand a chance against Superman? We saw her go toe-to-toe with the thing that killed him and she inflicted real damage on him, whereas Superman's powers did nothing

Right now, evidence points strongly in the direction that Diana could kick Clark's ass in a straight fight. She has the defensive capability to negate his ranged advantage from his heat vision. Heck, we saw her take heat vision from Doomsday and it didn't seem to hurt her anyway. She's definitely demonstrating super-strength in her own trailer, so she can hit him hard enough to hurt him. She's got energy blasts. She's got a sword that can probably cut him. She's got the Lasso, which enabled her to hold Doomsday at bay. She may or may not even have flight. And, of course, she's actually a skilled fighter. And we've seen how poorly Clark does against skilled fighters in MOS and BvS.
    The whole Snydervsere is predicated on Superman being invincible, we've already caught a glimpse of the future - the Knightmare - where Superman's picked them off one by one. Flash travels back in time to warn Bruce, Bruce assembles the Justice League to avert the Knightmare

The whole Snydervsere is predicated on Superman being invincible,
    He got his ass kicked by a mere mortal. He DIED in his second major battle. Not so much.

we've already caught a glimpse of the future - the Knightmare - where Superman's picked them off one by one.
    1.) That is NOT a glimpse of the future. That's Batman having a bad dream brought on by some bad Thai food until evidence suggests otherwise.

2.) Not a word was said about the fate of Diana or anyone else in the Knighmare world. For all we know she was running a resistance cell elsewhere and simply hadn't had the opportunity to engage him yet.

Flash travels back in time to warn Bruce, Bruce assembles the Justice League to avert the Knightmare
    So, no actual evidence, then?

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

It's almost as if you're knew to Superman, Vanguard-01

It's almost as if you're knew to Superman, Vanguard-01
    Nope. I know Superman and his history quite well. It is you who seem to be unaware of how things work these days.

Superman WAS the greatest hero in the DCU for a long time, it's true. Then some thirty-odd years ago, Batman knocked him off his throne as King of the DCU, and he has never come close to reclaiming it.

There's a ton of evidence to support Diana being able to beat Superman. There is none that she can't. These are the facts. And it's a moot point anyway, since we have no reason to believe they'll be fighting anytime soon.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 03-18-2017 at 06:59 PM.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

The whole Snydervsere is predicated on Superman being invincible, we've already caught a glimpse of the future - the Knightmare - where Superman's picked them off one by one. Flash travels back in time to warn Bruce, Bruce assembles the Justice League to avert the Knightmare
    If anything, the battle against Doomsday proves otherwise.

With all due respect, I don't understand why you are so easy to dismiss Diana's feats, basing your arguments mostly on assumptions while there are various hints and statements from the producers that very much confirms the extent of her powers? I Think you might have a very biased readings on Diana's abilities so far, especially when it comes to debating about the Doomsday fight. Let me just remind you of something, when Supes came back to Earth, he had recovered entirely thanks to the sun. He had direct contact with pure solar energy, unfiltered by the atmosphere and I pretty much think that he was super-charged.

Even a super-charged Superman was no match to a Doosmday who had already evolved like 3 times. And that's when Diana came to intervene physically against him, she intervened against a level 3 Doomsday for the gods' sakes! A Doomsday who had survived and recovered from missiles, gunshots, and a nuke! Still she was able to tank him and hurt him and was also able to recover pretty fast from him throwing her around, and we cannot say the same for Superman.

Up to this point we can only rely on the actual footage we have indeed, but there are also comments from the cast, the director, the producers who have given us hints and teased us about Diana's power level on several occasions. And the level of reliability and officiality cannot be questionned.

Geoff Johns said that Wonder Woman is like a blend of Batman and Superman, she "has the powers of Superman" but is a much better fighter. Some people who have been to the Edit bay have reported that Diana, in the DCEU, is actually more powerful and stronger than long term DC comics fan could ever hope. I believe you can find the sources on the Comicbook.com website, that is the source I base my current statements upon.

Now, we are yet to read any actual statements from DC and Warner Bros officials that say anything about WW being weakened or that she would not win a battle against Superman, which I think is a possibility when you see how they fared against Doomsday. Not mentionning the fact that she was actually designed to be able to kill gods.
    Last edited by enish; 03-19-2017 at 03:35 AM.

Enhanced senses

BUT, when Diana got to intervene, she faced a Doomsday who had already evolved two times and that's when she tanked DD's laser beam and puhsed him back with the power wave attack. Right after that, Superman got powered back by the Sun and actually storms down from the sky to push Doomsday away from where he was standing. That is when we have a glimpse of Diana's heightened senses as she immediately looks in his direction as soon as she hears the sound barrier being broken by Supes' entrance. These enhanced senses are also hinted in trailer n2 where Diana is shown to be a bullet timer, she can see bullets move and that's why she can block them.

Enhanced combat abilities:

Doosmday evolves for a third time and here we have a glimpse at Diana's ability to analyze the battlefield and her opponent,showcasing her strategical thinking , as she realizes that DD feeds on energy, which eventually limits their range of attacks indeed. They must not feed him more! Diana knows it, and this explains her fighting choice thus she will not fight with brute strength!

Does Diana Fly?

Diana launches the assault in a super or i should say wonder jump which seems ambiguous to me, because she could as well have been flying in that shot. The speed is sustained and in brief blink and miss shot, you can see that Superman is flying behind her. If he is so fast, he should have been able to fly past Diana who is supposedly just "jumping" right? The way she lands at DD's feet feels controlled and precise, and she also seems to control her landing speed, so there's definitely more than just jumping in this shot. There's also another shot which seems ambiguous to me and got me to think that she might have been flying too there.

Our doubts can even be more funded in the trailers for the solo WW movie in some particular brief shots. To me she cannot just be jumping in those shots, not in that position.

Some will ask : Well then, why didn't Diana fly in BVS? Well, because she did not need to, in my humble opinion. Her fighting style is more grounded, and just look at Superman being utterly useless, he didn't land any punches on him and the only time he was able to touch him was when Diana tossed DD into the air and Supes charged DD down to the ground and even so, DD was unphased.
    I couldn't say the same for Supes who kept being thrown around to the point where WW had to use her power wave attack once more to push DD away from Supes, in that sequence seen from Batman's perspective.

Invulnerability, durability and stamina!

Some have said that it is easy to dismiss Superman because he has no armor, but have they forgotten that he is supposed to be invulnerable? And yes, Diana has weapons and armor but she also is the only one of the trinity who has the most skin exposed! And yeah, she has a shield which protects her from incoming projectiles such as pieces of concrete, laser beams, cars being tossed by a giant unstoppable creature, but a shield is as strong and efficient as the one who wields it! And if anyone still has any doubt as to her level of durability or invulnerability, in this particular sequence, Diana is actually punched mid air by DD, losing both her shield and her sword as she tears down the floor, passing through huge pieces of concrete and got up of that unfazed and all smiling! Another feat of durability, invulnerability and stamina in the sequence where she is lassoing DD while being on a piece of concrete which desintegrates. The piece of concrete desintegrates! But not her! She only lost her grip because of it, not because she got tired or was losing stamina.

Super-strength:

Her super strength is displayed on various occasions, her ability to jump high is in itself a proof of her super-strength, and the fact that she is able to toss DD into the air with one arm is also another feat of strength that not even Superman was not capable of doing. The moment where he storms down from the sky doesn't count because he was benefiting from the momentum of his flight to push DD away! And here, Diana has only the momentum of a quick bounce before dealing with DD. From the last trailer, we can see that she can actually lift and throw a world war I tank, which according to wikipedia, weighs around 7.75 tonnes.

Super-Speed:
    She displays super speed during her first assault on DD but there is this special moment after she recovers from being hit by DD where you can clearly see that she is super-fast. The vfx and sound suggest it! And she also displays super speed in the trailers where she deflects the bullets and when she charges through a piece of concrete.

I'm sure we are bound to see other abilities in her own movie, as the producers did not want to show too much during her appearance in BVS, but the pieces of information that we got are just enough to have a sense of her power and how she compares to Superman.

To me, she clearly is Supe's equal in terms of power, there is no doubt about it. That would be a disservice to the character, and a really bad representation of female super-heroes in our contemporary times. Why I liked about BVS is that they were not afraid to treat a female character on the same level as male characters in action sequences. She is as fierce and brutal and maybe even more efficient than her male counterparts when it comes to fighting and this resonates in a large portion of the audience given the very positive reception of her appearance in BVS.
    Last edited by enish; 03-19-2017 at 03:59 AM.

The Knightmare scene had Apokoliptian visuals to it. If I was to guess, I'd say that this was the result of Darkseid brainwashing Superman to be his pawn. The specifics of what it had to do with Lois are hard to guess. But maybe Bats and Supes working together will prevent Darkseid from getting to him?

Anyways, what does this have to do with comparing Supes and WW? Well, in that possible future Supes apparently took over Earth with an army from Apokolips. We know that at the very least he had an army of Parademons at his command.