Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Doctor Fate Doctor Kent Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tower of Fate
    Posts
    352

    Default Dr Fate theory - Blue Beetle #7 and the JSA

    So in Rebirth #1, it appeared that the Doctor Fate was Kent Nelson, however Kent has been trapped with the rest of the JSA and the helmet has been operating hostless with a severley underpowered Nabu. I'm guessing and hoping that when the JSA does return Kent will be claiming back the helmet... well my theory anyway

    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

    Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

  2. #2
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    24,279

    Default

    It might explain why the current design in Blue Beetle is so different from what we saw in the Rebirth special, which was basically just the classic look modernized.

    They're saving up the true Dr. Fate look for the return of the "real" Dr. Fate (presumably Kent Nelson).

  3. #3
    Ultimate Member Assam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    8,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It might explain why the current design in Blue Beetle is so different from what we saw in the Rebirth special, which was basically just the classic look modernized.

    They're saving up the true Dr. Fate look for the return of the "real" Dr. Fate (presumably Kent Nelson).
    Crackpot Theory: What if TED ends up having to put on the helmet, becoming the new Dr. Fate?

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    So in Rebirth #1, it appeared that the Doctor Fate was Kent Nelson, however Kent has been trapped with the rest of the JSA...
    I don't read Blue Beetle, so I guess I must have missed something.
    Where has it been shown that "Kent has been trapped with the rest of the JSA"?
    Historically, if they are using the disappearance of the JSA from a 1950s Congressional hearing (a story that dates back to Adventure Comics #466 in 1979), Kent Nelson/Dr. Fate was no longer an active member of the JSA at that time.
    Plus, did you read the Doctor Fate series from 2015-2016? Kent Nelson was back as (a) Doctor Fate starting in issue #12 (and he does mention his time with the JSA later in that series).


  5. #5
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't read Blue Beetle, so I guess I must have missed something.
    Where has it been shown that "Kent has been trapped with the rest of the JSA"?
    Historically, if they are using the disappearance of the JSA from a 1950s Congressional hearing (a story that dates back to Adventure Comics #466 in 1979), Kent Nelson/Dr. Fate was no longer an active member of the JSA at that time.
    Plus, did you read the Doctor Fate series from 2015-2016? Kent Nelson was back as (a) Doctor Fate starting in issue #12 (and he does mention his time with the JSA later in that series).

    I agree. I think the younger Fate in that series is going to retire off-screen and the mentor character in that series is the character in Blue Beetle, who is the only Kent Nelson. It's just that he's not trapped like the rest of the JSA.

  6. #6
    a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    183

    Default

    wait, which Dr Fate is appearing in Blue Beetle? is it Kent Nelson?
    i don't read Blue Beetle (actually, i don't read any DC comic currently) so i have no idea.

  7. #7
    Ultimate Member Assam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    8,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dr-brainwave View Post
    wait, which Dr Fate is appearing in Blue Beetle? is it Kent Nelson?
    i don't read Blue Beetle (actually, i don't read any DC comic currently) so i have no idea.
    Yes, he's a major supporting character in Blue Beetle. We don't know if it's Kent.

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dr-brainwave View Post
    wait, which Dr Fate is appearing in Blue Beetle? is it Kent Nelson?
    i don't read Blue Beetle (actually, i don't read any DC comic currently) so i have no idea.
    Yes, he's a major supporting character in Blue Beetle. We don't know if it's Kent.
    So, then, is there anything to the part in the original post about "the helmet has been operating hostless with a severley underpowered Nabu", or was that also just a guess / assumption on the OP's part?

  9. #9
    Doctor Fate Doctor Kent Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tower of Fate
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Yes, he's a major supporting character in Blue Beetle. We don't know if it's Kent.
    Well Scot Kollins did quote that as far as he knew, it was Kent Nelson. However I'm guessing there was a retcon somewhere between Rebirth and the ongoing Blue Beetle series that it's only Nabu driving Fate... As DC are bringing back the JSA, I'm guessing Kent will return with the others, hence the reason it's no longer Kent.
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

    Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

  10. #10
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    Well Scot Kollins did quote that as far as he knew, it was Kent Nelson. However I'm guessing there was a retcon somewhere between Rebirth and the ongoing Blue Beetle series that it's only Nabu driving Fate... As DC are bringing back the JSA, I'm guessing Kent will return with the others, hence the reason it's no longer Kent.
    In what issue(s) did they say that? And, again, what about Kent Nelson's appearances in the Doctor Fate series (which started under DCYou but was still published after Rebirth)?
    There's also the question of why you would assume Kent wouldn't be returning until after the JSA is brought back from wherever . . . do we even know if EVERY HERO WHO WAS A JSA MEMBER disappeared all at once? Previously, Kent wasn't an active member of the JSA when they disappeared back in the 1950s (the time frame they seem to have gone to for Rebirth's disappearance). And don't forget, even when DC got rid of the JSA back in Last Days of the Justice Society after CoIE, Fate wasn't among those heroes who disappeared to fight the never-ending Ragnarök (at least until they came back in Armageddon: Inferno).

  11. #11
    Doctor Fate Doctor Kent Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tower of Fate
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In what issue(s) did they say that? And, again, what about Kent Nelson's appearances in the Doctor Fate series (which started under DCYou but was still published after Rebirth)?
    There's also the question of why you would assume Kent wouldn't be returning until after the JSA is brought back from wherever . . . do we even know if EVERY HERO WHO WAS A JSA MEMBER disappeared all at once? Previously, Kent wasn't an active member of the JSA when they disappeared back in the 1950s (the time frame they seem to have gone to for Rebirth's disappearance). And don't forget, even when DC got rid of the JSA back in Last Days of the Justice Society after CoIE, Fate wasn't among those heroes who disappeared to fight the never-ending Ragnarök (at least until they came back in Armageddon: Inferno).
    Scott commented on Twitter about Kent Nelson and there's no evidence suggesting the last Dr Fate series via DCYOU was in continuity... nor unfortunately those other titles you mentioned... so it's just a theory because from Rebirth, Fate had a human host and now he's hostless again and the flashback mentions Nabu.
    I see everyone's fate but my own. Sometimes that scares me. But when I see the future of someone such as yourself, I believe in tomorrow again

    Staff writer at www.impulsegamer.com

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    Scott commented on Twitter about Kent Nelson and there's no evidence suggesting the last Dr Fate series via DCYOU was in continuity... nor unfortunately those other titles you mentioned... so it's just a theory because from Rebirth, Fate had a human host and now he's hostless again and the flashback mentions Nabu.
    If they've just willy-nilly decided to make Doctor Fate host-less for Blue Beetle and ignored anything from New52/DCYou without any in-story explanation (screw Twitter!), then I definitely have no interest in trying Blue Beetle. (It's not as if the world of New52/DCYou suddenly ceased to exist; DC is still working from that continuity in Rebirth but with some pre-Flashpoint tweaks/revisions/additions.)

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If they've just willy-nilly decided to make Doctor Fate host-less for Blue Beetle and ignored anything from New52/DCYou without any in-story explanation (screw Twitter!), then I definitely have no interest in trying Blue Beetle. (It's not as if the world of New52/DCYou suddenly ceased to exist; DC is still working from that continuity in Rebirth but with some pre-Flashpoint tweaks/revisions/additions.)
    I don't think a whole series from last year can be said to be out of continuity. It's just that something changed after the last issue (off-camera), is what I would think.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I don't think a whole series from last year can be said to be out of continuity. It's just that something changed after the last issue (off-camera), is what I would think.
    Could be.

    Could be.
    Pull List:
    Marvel: Spider-Man:Renew Your Vows, Champions, Silver Surfer, Hellcat, Slapstick
    DC: Blue Beetle (possible), Batman: White Knight

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,733

    Default

    I'm just hoping that if this Doctor Fate isn't Kent Nelson and/or Khalid Nassour, but is indeed a hostless helmet, that DC isn't planning on keeping Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle and moving Ted over to be the newest Doctor Fate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •