Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    I cared, this was obvious from the start. She's not 52 Diana, she's not post-crisis Diana. 'Love, hope and relationships'. How can a post-crisis Diana reconcile with a Steve that's not married to Etta? That was 25 years of publication. The Steve who was the son of Diana Trevor, who saved Phillipus and Menalippe? He was a valid character and Steve and Etta was a valid love story.
    It was 25 years of publication that didn't produce many great stories with those two characters. Steve didn't have much of a purpose after he was aged up and had his main purpose stripped from him, which is why he was so easily phased out of the book. Him even crashing on the island was a superficial nod to pre-Crisis canon that was completely pointless, because Diana already won the contest and was in the process of leaving before Perez went all "Oh, I guess I gotta include Steve somewhere in here."

The character is being treated far better now than he ever was when he was married to Etta. It's not a relationship that's overly popular and was a dubious decision to begin with, so paying it respect isn't a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    She's not 52 DIana, she's not post-crisis Diana. She's Rucka's Diana. The arbitrariety of deleting 52 Diana from existing couldn't be clearer than this example. It's clear for me that we could have 52 Clark and Diana together. A needless waste.
    Diana didn't get deleted from existence, her reality is changing around her just like everyone else in the DC universe. She's just more in tune with it.

It's debatable how "wasteful" ditching the romance with Clark is. Personally, I don't think she gained anything from the romance and is better off without it. If you're not a SM/WW shipper, New 52 didn't have much to offer outside of the Azzarello run. And the last thing we need is to go all Twilight with the Team Lois/Team Diana crap (or worse, Team Clark/Team Steve/Team Orion/Team Bruce...).

*double post

I thought Strife was the high point of the New 52 Wonder Woman run.
    Did not care for the whole Superman and Wonder Woman part.
    Always came off as some kind of publicity mandate from above,
    like bringing them together would incline each others fan base to support the
    other fully. Still awaiting Kara and Cassies pajama party at Aunt Lois house

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Don't give DC ideas
    Oh I dunno...I think it'd be interesting to see Lyta Trevor-Prince reinvented in some capacity...

She got such a bum deal when all was said and done, wouldn't it be nice if Rebirth gave her another go at things?

yeah, I didn't like the WW/SM romance idea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    yeah, I didn't like the WW/SM romance idea.

Unlike most folks, I think this was a NECESSARY development.

Unlike some folks, I think it was a development that should not last.

Superman as a partner does not play very well into the themes that Wonder Woman plays with: bringing the light of Amazons and of women's viewpoint on life into man's world. Steve Trevor does, much more, as a direct representation of the militaristic way nations (and other collections of humans) deal with each other. It's a useful but limited way of dealing with each other, but there are better ways...thematically, Wonder Woman is about teaching these ways to humankind as a whole. That means that her intimate relationships should reflect that--which means Steve Trevor, representative of the modern military structure.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Oh I dunno...I think it'd be interesting to see Lyta Trevor-Prince reinvented in some capacity...

She got such a bum deal when all was said and done, wouldn't it be nice if Rebirth gave her another go at things?
    Well, I personally would love WonderMom. i don't know about anyone else though people seem to be 50/50 on Jon Kent even if he is adorable.

Though the idea of a mini-Trinity sounds super fun an Amazon that joins Damian and Jon's misadventures

In theory, I liked the WW/SM romance idea.

And the two of them likely would have thought if each would make a good partner.

But now that it has happened, I agree it should end at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    In theory, I liked the WW/SM romance idea.

And the two of them likely would have thought if each would make a good partner.

But now that it has happened, I agree it should end at some point.
    It has already ended but I enjoyed it while it lasted. It's what I've been dying to see since the start of postcrisis continuity when they had dreams about each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It has already ended but I enjoyed it while it lasted. It's what I've been dying to see since the start of postcrisis continuity when they had dreams about each other.
    Not gonna lie, Superman/Wonder Woman was a blast for me. I loved Soule's Wondie and her scenes on Themyscira. It was the best incarnation of the character at the time.

Didn't know a lot about Steve back then, so that may be a factor, but their romance didn't bug me at all.

My problem with Rebirth Steve is he's so neutered that him being a dude really has no baring on the Story at all. Even the Amazons treat him well for the most part. You could turn him into a female and the story wouldn't be any different. At least New 52 Trevor was and acted like a man, a sad man with a broken heart but still a man.

All this goes back to what could have been a really easy fix for the mistake of the 52 .... that basically during Convergence or whatever that it's revealed that the original Multiverse continued to exist, hidden from this new Earth (call it Earth 52)...but that after each reality shattering Crisis on Infinite Final Identity FLashpoints the world wasn't reformed, but a new Earth splintered off off the previous continuity---- So say pre Crisis Earths 1, 2,3 etc exist, and always have. You also get a Post Crisis Earth, a FLashpoint Earth, and Earth 52 (the nu52)... even a Rebirth Earth. That way everyone's favorite versions exist AND can interact with one another! Imagine Earth 2 Diana meeting Earth 52's version? etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    My problem with Rebirth Steve is he's so neutered that him being a dude really has no baring on the Story at all. Even the Amazons treat him well for the most part. You could turn him into a female and the story wouldn't be any different. At least New 52 Trevor was and acted like a man, a sad man with a broken heart but still a man.
    How is he "neutered"? Because he's respectful of women and they respond positively to him in return? Because his superhuman girlfriend (who is more powerful than any non-meta man on the planet) is stronger than him? He's not the dominant partner, so he might as well be a woman?

This attitude is so outdated. New 52 Steve didn't act like more of a man. Soule's acted like a petulant child who bad mouthed Diana for dating Superman. That's not what a real man acts like.