Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

if batman is a Mary sue so is black bolt with his world shattering voice. if he will just whisper the conflict ends with both friends and enemies knocked out especially in older issues.
    The Self is the only existing reality

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    if batman is a Mary sue so is black bolt with his world shattering voice. if he will just whisper the conflict ends with both friends and enemies knocked out especially in older issues.
    Being OP doesn't make you a mary sue.

Having the solution to all problems, even ones you couldn't know about however, does. And that's Batman to a T.

The worst thing about this thread is CIS hetero white male posters repeatedly accusing racism and sexism in some grasping defense of this frankly awful character. So incredibly disingenuous.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    No, a mary sue is a character who constantly succeeds by unrealistic abilities and succeeds covers a range of stuff including what you mentioned but also covers stuff like Batman jumping the shark.
    If I'm the X-Men writer and I write a story where Logan illogically is able to punch out Galactus, it's an ill-conceived story but that doesn't make Logan a Mary Sue. If I'm the X-men writer and I add a character named er...Eric2962 to the team and Eric is able to punch out Galactus and Logan is in awe of Eric's fighting ability and Scott praises his leadership skills, then Eric is a Mary Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    The entire point to visiting a message board is to interact with others and share your opinion. If you don't want to hear conflicting opinions, stop visiting message boards and your problems will go away. See how that response works both ways?

Sometimes i think too many people have confused a conflicting opinion with somehow being "wrong" and needing correction.
    It's also not a good idea to set up a thread that low key trolls a chararacter.
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I like Devil Dinosaur, wish he had his own solo book again.
    When did Devil Dinosaur ever have his own solo book?

Hasn't he always been paired with other characters such as Moon Boys and now Moon Girl?
    Enjoying the camraderie of friends and family is all that matters in the world.

Mr MajestiK took a short hiatus and the Chaos Bringer was reborn.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Because that's not what "Mary Sue" means. A "Mary Sue" is a writer insert character who's fawned over by the other characters.
    Even if one use this definition, Moon Girl doesn't not fit it.

Most of the characters in her own book finds her weird and they do not fawn over her, for the most part she was teased and isolated the name "Moon Girl" was given to her by her class mates who mocked her but she embraced the name and wears her genius on her sleeve because she is always trying to show what she is capable of which make her comes of rude and smug sometimes.

Most of the characters that have guest stared in her book have not been diminished to make her look good. Ms Marvel appearance was mostly Moon Girl fangirling over her, Iron Heart save Moon girl and her class mates when Moon Girl failed to, Dr. Strange not only saved her but also showed there are things she still does not understands like magic.

Also Moon Girl lacking ability to control her emotions is part of the story,the transferring her mind into Devil Dinosaur's body happens when she shows strong emotions, if you read the book you can tell learning to control her emotions is something she will have to learn overtime because it is associated with her ability to control her "powers".

Yes,Lunella is sometimes rude and dismissive of others but these are personality flaws and she is reprimand for it sometimes, she is not what others perceived the perfect little girl should be and that is the point,for even the smartest girl in the world growing up is hard.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 03-20-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Medusa is a Mary Sue. IvX proved her hair can do/destroy anything/anyone more powerful than her, and characters constantly fawned over her. Like they all stopped fighting the war, so they could comment on how beautiful Medusa and Black Bolt were when they flew to fight Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    ,,,she is not what others perceived the perfect little girl should be and that is the point,for even the smartest girl in the world growing up is hard.
    Yep.

Why, it's almost as if you actually read the comic.
    The Jack is BACK.

MY SITE

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    The worst thing about this thread is CIS hetero white male posters repeatedly accusing racism and sexism in some grasping defense of this frankly awful character. So incredibly disingenuous.
    It's one of the most unfortunate things when it comes to characters of color/female/LGBT characters. Without even knowing the person on the other end, if they dare to have their own criticisms about the character then they're labeled as racist/sexist/homophobic. While there will always be those who do fall into that category, 9/10 times it's a matter of the poster's own criticism of what they dislike about the character not a prejudice.

Mighty Member

I can't say I'm particularly interested in the characters book, I've tried the book and not been too enamored with it, it just isn't for me. It's not bad per se but it's not a book that makes me want to read it month to month. But the character herself seems like pretty straightforward wacky fun largely. And from what I understand does well via scholastic.

SUPER GENIUS. With a pet DINSOAUR. CRAZY GADGETS.

Time will tell if she'll stick around but she seems neat enough.
    Last edited by PyroTwilight; 03-20-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    So let's go through those appearances.

IvX: It made sense for her to be there, what with being an Inhuman, and one Ms. Marvel has met already, and one with a dinosaur. And she didn't play that big a role in it - she just helped Forge modify a device he'd invented.

Monsters Unleashed: The world was under attack by monsters, of course she would be trying to do something. But it's worth noting that her intelligence wasn't even the main thing she brought to the story. She figured out how to translate the language of the monsters, but her main role was to provide moral support to Kei. Also, it's an event about monsters, it made sense for Devil to be included, and that meant it made sense for Lunella to be included.

Wasp: Nadia's putting together a think tank of brilliant young women. It makes sense to ask Lunella. And in the story, Lunella didn't actually really solve anything.

The X-Men Annual: She and Forge argued and debated a little about a rocket she was building. It was really just a cute story, and it didn't really try to paint Lunella as better than Forge, it was just the writer wanting to do a story where Forge met Lunella.

Secret Warriors: Well, since we know little about the book, it's hard to say that it's "ridiculous" for Lunella to be there. The book may justify her presence quite reasonably.

When people bitch about how Marvel "pushes" Lunella, you'd think she was showing up everywhere so she could make everyone look bad. But she's had a handful of cameos, with pretty much all of them making sense, and I would wager they're the result of other writers liking the character, rather than some sort of big editorial fiat.

When she shows up in Avengers in order to outsmart Doom, then maybe you'll have a case. But right now? It's petty complaining that a character you don't like exists.
    The funny thing about people complaining about Marvel pushing Moon Girl in these books,when in fact the opposite is happening. In the case of Monsters Unleashed and Wasp, Marvel is actually hoping that some of these books would appeal the Moon Girl's fans, they are hoping that these books would do well among the scholastic readers to compensate for the low sales in comic book stores.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 03-20-2017 at 09:21 AM.

To tell you the truth I am surprised that the series is still going. Not because of quality but for quantity of issues sold. Moon Girl is consistently one of Marvel's lowest selling comics and I have seen other series which sell better but get cancelled for low sales.

For the Batman point with him he is the kind of guy who plans in advance. Like we saw in the Death Battle video he lost to Spider-Man in that but if he had the time to study him and discover a weakness he would have won. Not so much of a Mary Sue in my mind.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    To tell you the truth I am surprised that the series is still going. Not because of quality but for quantity of issues sold. Moon Girl is consistently one of Marvel's lowest selling comics and I have seen other series which sell better but get cancelled for low sales.

For the Batman point with him he is the kind of guy who plans in advance. Like we saw in the Death Battle video he lost to Spider-Man in that but if he had the time to study him and discover a weakness he would have won. Not so much of a Mary Sue in my mind.
    Last I heard her sales are actually somewhat strong (in Scholastic for example which is where she's a big hit seemingly) just not in the direct market, thus it appear to be low.

To be honest I don't get the book, not sure if I should but I do point out that hating new characters or young characters who the writers have decided be smarter than original is annoying that includes Lunella, Riri Williams, Valeria Richards and more than likely Nadia Pym.
    Truth is the best policy