Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

While I'm at it...

Here's my take on...

The Outsiders
    Black Canary, The Question, Black Lightning, Green Arrow, Manhunter, Katana, Thorn (previously Black Thorn), Bronze Tiger and Onyx.

A team that even Dennis O'Neil would love.

Note: Kate Spencer Manhunter could be subbed in for Manhunter.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-19-2017 at 12:16 AM.
    "The truest and sweetest things in life are not those which we see, but of which we dream." -Édouard René de Laboulaye.
    Currently reading: Cave Carson, Doom Patrol, Fantastic Four (60s), Forever People (70s), Journey into Mystery (60s), Mister Miracle (70s), New Gods (70s), Police Comics (40s), Shade the Changing Girl, Strange Tales (60s), Swamp Thing (70s & 80s), Watchmen, Whiz Comics (40s).

Amazing Member

All-star squadron would be great. I'd really love a series that shows off the golden age set in the 40s, especially with them trying to remove the GA with the new 52. I want this more than a JSA series set in the present TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    All-star squadron would be great. I'd really love a series that shows off the golden age set in the 40s, especially with them trying to remove the GA with the new 52. I want this more than a JSA series set in the present TBH.
    A 1940s JSA by Matt Wagner and Francisco Francavilla (with fill ins by David Hack or Sean Phillips) would be like printing money.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-19-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    "The truest and sweetest things in life are not those which we see, but of which we dream." -Édouard René de Laboulaye.
    Currently reading: Cave Carson, Doom Patrol, Fantastic Four (60s), Forever People (70s), Journey into Mystery (60s), Mister Miracle (70s), New Gods (70s), Police Comics (40s), Shade the Changing Girl, Strange Tales (60s), Swamp Thing (70s & 80s), Watchmen, Whiz Comics (40s).

penetrator of things

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    And my idea for...

Shadowpact
    Dr. Fate, Madame Xanadu, Nightshade, Etrigan, Raven, Baron Winters, John Constantine and Zatanna.

<snip>

Note: I considered both Dr. Mist and Bloodwynd but couldn't find good images of them. So consider them as reserve members.

And although the line-up is quite similar to Justice League Dark (with the additions of MVPs Dr. Fate and Raven), it would have absolutely, positively NO connection to the Justice League.
    The team would act more as a mystical Illuminati, meet secretly and fight foes that go unseen by regular heroes.
    The book, itself, would read and feel more like an early Vertigo title than any mainstream superhero comic.
    See, I kind of like Shadowpact being more of the cult-classic heroes; not the character who are already super popular. Like, they could team up with them every now and then; but having characters who are less tied to a mainstream continuity and less-established really does let you explore the characters more.
    I know things,
    SECRET things.
    I might post about such things sometimes,
    but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    See, I kind of like Shadowpact being more of the cult-classic heroes; not the character who are already super popular. Like, they could team up with them every now and then; but having characters who are less tied to a mainstream continuity and less-established really does let you explore the characters more.
    But none of the magical heroes are super popular. I think they all work well as being in the fringes of the DCU.
    Only Zatanna, Raven and Fate should have higher profiles within the universe, but whether they currently do is very debatable.

Incredible Member

well it could be a new form of dc's EXTREME HEROES my team would consist of
    EXTREME JUSTICE
    roll call
    MAXIMA
    BATWOMAN
    BIG BARDA
    LADY QUARK
    GREEN LANTERN=GUY GARDNER
    BRONZE TIGER
    HAWKMAN
    MARTAIN MANHUNTER=LEADER
    OMAC
    Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    Of those? The only one I have a strong connection to is Young Justice, but new Outsiders and New Gods books would be pretty cool.

Outside of those, I'd also like to see the return of Team Thirteen and The Conglomerate.

Why the Hell would you want Extreme Justice back? XD It's possibly the worst JL book DC has ever put out.

I don't want DC to introduce / re-introduce any additional teams for the foreseeable future.
    The ones they have are miserable enough that any more probably would be just as pathetic.
    What DC needs is some better writers and artists than a lot of the people they use now.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    But none of the magical heroes are super popular. I think they all work well as being in the fringes of the DCU.
    Only Zatanna, Raven and Fate should have higher profiles within the universe, but whether they currently do is very debatable.
    And to me, a mystic team missing both Dr. Fate and Zatanna just feels incomplete and inferior.
    If some threat is important enough that the mystical community would have to get involved, there should be a very good reason why they're not there.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-19-2017 at 01:06 PM.

And to me, a mystic team missing both Dr. Fate and Zatanna just feels incomplete and inferior.
    If some threat is important enough that the mystical community would have to get involved, there should be a very good reason why they're not there.
    How about the book with too many powerful mystics on the same team would be boring after a few issues?
    I mean, really, you want a book where someone is likely to say "It's Tuesday. Guess we get another 'end-of-the-universe-and-all-other-realms-in-existence' threat again. Guess I better have another cup of coffee"?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    How about the book with too many powerful mystics on the same team would be boring after a few issues?
    I mean, really, you want a book where someone is likely to say "It's Tuesday. Guess we get another 'end-of-the-universe-and-all-other-realms-in-existence' threat again. Guess I better have another cup of coffee"?
    It would only be boring with an unimaginative writer.

I remember in the old Marvel Handbooks where they had an appendix devoted just to a list of other dimensions and their inhabitants.
    How many other dimensions can you list from DC?

Other-dimensional beings and mystic-based foes can be just as varied as anything the traditional beat-em-up caped heroes can face.
    And those regular folk superheroes are either ill-equipped to deal with them or just don't know they exist.

And with today's 'padding' for trades, they would only need two or three villains a year, as opposed to classic Dr. Strange where, aside from a few regulars, he had to face a new evil every month.

Plus, the team I proposed would be a more loosely established group, so one or two members could sit out on occassion to give room for the irregularly appearing heroes.
    They would be more of an 'association' than a glorified superhero team.

Types of stories that would form the central idea: Moore's American Gothic storyline from Swamp Thing, Gaiman's Books of Magic mini-series and Morrison's Seven Soldiers of Victory, as well as many of the early Vertigo comics such as Sandman, Death and Shade the Changing Man.

And their lives don't start and stop around major end-of-the-world encounters. There's all kinds of subplots and character introspections, as well as multi-dimensional world-building that could be going on as well.
    Matter of fact, some stories could start with just a few members involved in the main story, while the others are developing subplots to flesh them out. Or even have one small group involved in the main story while running subplots on the rest. Then on the next story pull a different group from the eight and let the others continue or develop subplots.
    The possibilities are endless, really.

I think the real trick to a book like this would be not to think of it in the same way as one would think of a traditional superhero comic like Justice League where the team is defined by conflicts and power measuring sticks. But more as an ensemble cast of characters that live and interact in a more fantastic and mysterious world.

And, even with Justice League... after you fight and defeat Darkseid, what else is there? Another Darkseid-level villain? Wouldn't that get boring, too?
    The League doesn't face Darkseid-level villains every day. And they have powerhouses like Superman, Woder Woman and Green Lantern (two of them currently).
    Same with this team and, say, Trigon.

The League gets a villain group to oppose them, with Luthor, Black Adam and the rest?
    I give you Shade, Mordu, Wotan, Blackbriar Thorn and Felix Faust forming a Dark Shadowpact once they discover its existence. Depending on the weather, Enchantress could be a member. And, of course, they all wouldn't work well together and splinter off into different factions to routinely crop up and cause problems.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-19-2017 at 02:36 PM.

. . . And, even with Justice League... after you fight and defeat Darkseid, what else is there? Another Darkseid-level villain? Wouldn't that get boring, too?
    Yes, it does, which is while I use to love the superteam books many years ago, I don't seem to buy any of them now.
    I haven't found any with the right mix of characters AND with writers and/or artists I like to follow.

It kinda sucks, but until DC puts together a team I like with a writer and artist who I would like, it is what it is.

Astonishing Member Cyberpunk Ronin's Avatar

The original Seven Soldiers Of Victory. I think it's time that Green Arrow led a legit team.
    "You don't have to like me. But you will respect me."

-Unknown

And now...
    My thoughts on JLI..

Global Guardians (formerly Justice League International)
    Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, J'onn J'onzz, Wonder Woman, Fire, Ice, Guy Gardner, Crimson Fox, Captain Atom, Batwing, Blue Devil, Geo-Force, Aztek, Vixen, Rocket Red and Aquaman.

Note: 16 members may seem like a lot, but there's a reason for that.
    The book would follow the formula of the classic Satellite era JLA (which boasted 16 members at the time) and Justice League Unlimited, where the core group would be Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Fire, Ice, Guy Gardner and J'onn J'onzz.
    Each issue would feature anywhere from four to eight members with at least half of them being from the core group. And each story would be one or two issues long, with an occasional three-part story to give everyone a chance to appear. There would even be a roll call at the start of each issue.
    The stories themselves would be a throwback to the Satellite era League but with the mild humor of the first two years of JLI (not as goofy as it became near the end of the run). Sort of the wink-wink, nudge-nudge, tongue-in-cheek, poke you in the rib screwball humor that comes from the dialogue and not the slapstick or outrageous comedy that comes from over-the-top antics or outlandish visuals.

It would be a return to 'working class heroes' saving the day and remaining as human as possible in the process.
    The fun, itself, would come from their interactions with each other and the fact that they enjoy being superheroes.
    Aquaman and Wonder Woman help balance the tone (and increase sales). Alongside J'onn and Captain Atom they act as the 'professionals' that rarely show their personal side in public.
    Supporting cast: Ted Kord, Catherine Cobert, Dale Gunn (remember him?), Dr. Will Magnus (from the Metal Men, replacing the now toxic Max Lord as benefactor), Ralph and Sue Dibney and 'Snapper' Carr.
    Arch-villains: Queen Bee (from Bialya), Kobra, a new Legion of Doom and plenty of mad scientists, alien menaces and would-be world conquerors.
    Base of operations: The Hall of Justice.

I recolored an image of Batman Beyond for Batwing as I couldn't find a picture that I liked.
    And I purposely left Power Girl out so she'd be free for JSA.

This is also another book that would benefit most from a specific type of writer.
    Someone with the plotting ability of Jeff Parker and the dialogue skills of Peter David.
    The charm of the early JLI was that Giffen would plot a serious story and break down the visuals and then DeMatteis would go over it and add the humor in the dialogue after it was drawn.

As for art, it should be someone who has a classic style, but not stiff... and can do expressive faces without them looking derpy or ten years old.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-19-2017 at 11:25 PM.

And now...
    My thoughts on JLI..

Global Guardians (formerly Justice League International)
    Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, J'onn J'onzz, Wonder Woman, Fire, Ice, Guy Gardner, Crimson Fox, Captain Atom, Batwing, Blue Devil, Geo-Force, Aztek, Vixen, Rocket Red and Aquaman.

Note: 16 members may seem like a lot, but there's a reason for that.
    The book would follow the formula of the classic Satellite era JLA (which boasted 16 members at the time) and Justice League Unlimited, where the core group would be Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Fire, Ice, Guy Gardner and J'onn J'onzz.
    Each issue would feature anywhere from four to eight members with at least half of them being from the core group. And each story would be one or two issues long, with an occasional three-part story to give everyone a chance to appear. There would even be a roll call at the start of each issue.
    The stories themselves would be a throwback to the Satellite era League but with the mild humor of the first two years of JLI (not as goofy as it became near the end of the run). Sort of the wink-wink, nudge-nudge, tongue-in-cheek, poke you in the rib screwball humor that comes from the dialogue and not the slapstick or outrageous comedy that comes from over-the-top antics or outlandish visuals.

It would be a return to 'working class heroes' saving the day and remaining as human as possible in the process.
    The fun, itself, would come from their interactions with each other and the fact that they enjoy being superheroes.
    Aquaman and Wonder Woman help balance the tone (and increase sales). Alongside J'onn and Captain Atom they act as the 'professionals' that rarely show their personal side in public.
    Supporting cast: Ted Kord, Catherine Cobert, Dale Gunn (remember him?), Dr. Will Magnus (from the Metal Men, replacing the now toxic Max Lord as benefactor), Ralph and Sue Dibney and 'Snapper' Carr.
    Arch-villains: Queen Bee (from Bialya), Kobra, a new Legion of Doom and plenty of mad scientists, alien menaces and would-be world conquerors.
    Base of operations: The Hall of Justice.

I recolored an image of Batman Beyond for Batwing as I couldn't find a picture that I liked.
    And I purposely left Power Girl out so she'd be free for JSA.

This is also another book that would benefit most from a specific type of writer.
    Someone with the plotting ability of Jeff Parker and the dialogue skills of Peter David.
    The charm of the early JLI was that Giffen would plot a serious story and break down the visuals and then DeMatteis would go over it and add the humor in the dialogue after it was drawn.

As for art, it should be someone who has a classic style, but not stiff... and can do expressive faces without them looking derpy or ten years old.
    I like this, and I'd support it if it were real. Even though I'm not a big fan of ALL these characters, the main six, Rocket Red, and Aquaman would be enough for me, and there are tons of dynamics with the characters laid out here. Just curious: Why Crimson Fox, but none of the other minor JLE members?

Ted being there would be a necessity, Snapper would be fun to have around, and Dr. Magnus would be a good replacement for Lord.

The only thing I wouldn't want here is Ralph and Sue Dibney, and that's just because I've got this idea for a book in my head called "The Dibneys", picking up where Secret Six ended, and focusing on Ralph, Sue, and their adopted daughters Strix and Black Alice as a team of detectives.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I like this, and I'd support it if it were real. Even though I'm not a big fan of ALL these characters, the main six, Rocket Red, and Aquaman would be enough for me, and there are tons of dynamics with the characters laid out here. Just curious: Why Crimson Fox, but none of the other minor JLE members?

Ted being there would be a necessity, Snapper would be fun to have around, and Dr. Magnus would be a good replacement for Lord.

The only thing I wouldn't want here is Ralph and Sue Dibney, and that's just because I've got this idea for a book in my head called "The Dibneys", picking up where Secret Six ended, and focusing on Ralph, Sue, and their adopted daughters Strix and Black Alice as a team of detectives.
    I considered Elongated Man, Animal-Man, Flash (Wally), Power Girl, Bluejay, Silver Sorceress, Metamorpho and Tasmanian Devil.

Elongated Man - Booster, Beetle and Blue Devil (who I always thought to be in the same league as both of them, pardon the pun) already fleshed out the more light-hearted part of the team. And to make Ralph a more serious member, like Geo-Force or Aztek, would take away from part of his fun. Meanwhile, I put the Dibneys as supporting cast because Sue worked really well with them, and it would give Ralph a chance to pitch in occasionally.

Animal-Man - At the point I was thinking of him, I was looking for more international members. Geo-Force, Batwing, Aztek (who may or may not be from Mexico, depending on the origin) helped fill it out. And I felt personality-wise he was too close to Geo-Force, who I chose mostly because it would open up Markovia to the team's locales. Power-wise, he was too similar to Vixen, who I've always felt would mix well with Fire & Ice. And I think he'd really do best in a Vertigo type book.

Flash (Wally) - better to keep him in Titans. And Jaime fills his role here as the somewhat more serious but fun-loving adventurer.

Power Girl - I thought I'd leave her free for JSA. And the team has Wonder Woman and Vixen for sheer strength.

Bluejay - I was (this) close to putting him in. But I already had Blue Beetle and Blue Devil and felt that would be too much 'Blue', lol. I opted for Batwing, instead, who also brought more international flavor to the team.

Silver Sorceress - If she was to return, I'd rather it was in Shadowpact or something that would expand her role and focus more on what she's capable of. You'll notice that the original JLI wasn't really short of a magic-based person, except that they were hardly ever there. Dr. Fate joined twice and guest-starred once in-between (and all three were different incarnations). I figured I'd leave the magic characters to guest starring roles to avoid the 'now-you-see them-now-you don't' curse that always be-felled them.
    So she could guest-star if a story required it, but I wouldn't have her stay.
    And like you with the Dibneys, I have a really good story in my head revolving around her being revealed to be Zatanna's mom, Sindella, and that would be best used in Shadowpact.

Metamorpho - I really wanted to use Element Woman, but couldn't find a good image of her, so I left Metamorpho out until the last. And then I just had no room. And I thought he would clash thematically with Blue Devil.

Tasmanian Devil - He would've given more of a thread to the Global Guardians name (along with Fire, Ice and Crimson Fox), but by the time I considered him, I had already selected Blue Devil. Of course, I could've taken Blue Devil out and then used both Tasmanian Devil and Bluejay, but I had my heart set on Blue Beetle, Booster Gold and Blue Devil being in the team.

Crimson Fox made it mostly because I think she was one of the best creations of the original JLI run (alongside the Bialyan Queen Bee, the Extremists and Maxwell Lord). And she's international and from a later version of the Global Guardians.

Another one you may notice that's missing is Dr. Light. I already slotted her in the aforementioned New Guardians and I felt that she would have more potential in a cosmic setting.

And then Maya came after the Giffen run ended and I quit reading before she joined so I really know nothing about her.

I also chose Aquaman and Wonder Woman as the A-list members over anyone else because of their status with Atlantis and Paradise Island, which makes them somewhat international and fitting the theme.

Other characters I considered:
    Firehawk - but I already had Fire.
    Black Condor - but I couldn't find a good image of the current version.
    Phantom Lady - try finding a good modern image of her on Google that's not NSFW.
    Batwoman - went with Batwing instead.
    Element Woman - see Metamorpho above.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-20-2017 at 12:30 AM.