Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fantastic Member

Just to be clear - I was just thinking how these characters would be as a team since they are all favorites of mine. It didn't have anything to do with skin color.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    If it's not, it should be. Nobody bitches whenever they make comics about three white leads.
    You sure about that? Cause wherever I look, people bitch all the time about books that only feature white hetero male characters. That's like the #1 complaint in comics aside from the constant reboots. But the question was about sales. I'm nave. I believe if a book is written well, then it'll sell. Regardless of the characters' race or sex.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    You sure about that? Cause wherever I look, people bitch all the time about books that only feature white hetero male characters. That's like the #1 complaint in comics aside from the constant reboots. But the question was about sales. I'm nave. I believe if a book is written well, then it'll sell. Regardless of the characters' race or sex.
    maybe if its a big team of like 6+ members, you'll see people complaining about the lack of diversity, but a cast of 3? like say, the current Trinity ongoing, don't see people bitching about that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    maybe if its a big team of like 6+ members, you'll see people complaining about the lack of diversity, but a cast of 3? like say, the current Trinity ongoing, don't see people bitching about that.
    Yeah it's definitely is more an issue with bigger teams than otherwise, though some will complain regardless. (Course now with Wonderwoman being explicitly LGBT that also gives leeway even in the case of the Trinity)

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I don't think it would warrant a permanent ongoing but some kind of extended mini-series then, yeah, why not? As long as the circumstances that throw these characters together are good ones. Like has already been mentioned, some people would inevitably complain about an 'agenda'. Just get the old metaphorical earmuffs out and ignore them.

I'm not sure that I'd be bothered enough to support it to be honest. That would mean cutting back in another area and I doubt I'd want to do that. If it was an outstanding book though....

BANNED

Yeah, that is naive. A well-written comic featuring characters people aren't interested in (which is most characters) and/or without a really well-liked writer and/or artist has a hard time selling at levels DC or Marvel expect from their comics.

You are right that that is how it ought to be, but it just isn't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Just to be clear - I was just thinking how these characters would be as a team since they are all favorites of mine. It didn't have anything to do with skin color.
    Yeah, and I don't even think DC would sell it as "come see the book with the all-black cast" but it would still be so different that it would be discussed.

Naive sounds right. See single issue sales of Tom King's Vision.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja, Normandy Gold

Fantastic Member

True. But I think these three characters with such diverse backgrounds would be an interesting mix of characters for a good story.

Maybe put them all in a different situation than they are used to - Skartaris ?? Maybe on the world of the way back first female Starfire??

Certainly they could get a well written limited series out of this small group of heroes.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

If the reviews are between good and very good I'll buy it. My idea would be copy types of stories from more successful characters: Cyborg/IronMan, Black Lightning/Daredevil/Nightwing, Vixen/Spider-Woman

Ultimate Member

No matter how well the book is written-SOMEBODY will find an issue with it or it gets IGNORED.

Look at Vision-how many articles or threads did you see for that book? Yet how many bashing minority or Inhuman books threads have we seen? With that overshadowing you end up with books like Vision getting left out and by the time folks found out-it was too late.

Lets say that book was done with John Stewart, Duke Thomas & Jason Rusch by Tom King-I can think of 4 different groups that would take issue with it. Before the first issue preview.

In a perfect world you would be correct but as we have seen especially at Marvel-it's not going to happen.

If this was to be done-I would do a graphic novel or one shot like what was done with Excalibur.

#MakeMineMilkshake CaptCleghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    True. But I think these three characters with such diverse backgrounds would be an interesting mix of characters for a good story.

Maybe put them all in a different situation than they are used to - Skartaris ?? Maybe on the world of the way back first female Starfire??

Certainly they could get a well written limited series out of this small group of heroes.
    This is my take. The three characters have different personalities, attitudes, and power sets. They all have powers which can be adaptable. Animal totems, electricity, and a power ring all of them witha general idea of how they work as well as the ability for an imaginative writer to tweak them.

Varying degrees of feeling towards authority would combine with a variety of degrees of villainy. The smaller, tighter group allows for more intimate, intense relationships between the characters. This trio has potential beyond the obvious similarities. Depending on creative team, I'd consider buying it provided it didn't tie-in with every other book and their relatives.

Mighty Member

Honestly given there's been a book for Zatanna and Black Canary simply because both wear fishnets this trio teaming up will never be odd in truth.

Funny, I was just thinking about a story with these characters in mind...

The story starts off with Mari/Vixen having a nightmare about a young black girl getting chased by a pack of evil-looking creatures. The creatures chase the girl into a dead-end alleyway, the girl calls for her mother as the creatures jump her. Vixen wakes up in her apartment in New York city screaming in John Steward/Green Lantern's arms. We find out that John and Mari have been dating for months now. She explains the dream to John and he decided that it would be best to investigate the situation. They give Batman a call, who links them to Michael/Mister Terrific who been investigating a case with similarity to Vixen's dream. Mister Terrific explain to them that he been following*the case for months now and over a dozen children have come up missing. After talking to Vixen about her dream, Mister Terrific starts noticing a pattern, which lead them to Suicide Slum, Metropolis. The heroes arrive to find Jeff/Black Lightning fighting off the creatures Vixen saw in her vision.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 03-23-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    I've seen your end and it starts with you challenging me.

Incredible Member

Some of the best incarnations of Suicide Squad were times when caucasians were in the minority. (Bronze Tiger, Vixen, Amanda, Ravan, etc.) The funny thing is that I didn't notice back then, but now that I'm an adult, I'm like "Hey, wait..."