Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Would it be accepted to do a book like this?

I recently realized that some of my favorite D.C. characters are black - Black Lightning, Vixen, and John Stewart Green Lantern.

Do you think a team series featuring these three together would sell well enough to survive? Personally, I would love it!! They are very different characters with different points of view. Throwing them together could be fun. And having them at the forefront doesn't mean you exclude others from appearing, I'd just want to keep those three as the primary focus of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I recently realized that some of my favorite D.C. characters are black - Black Lightning, Vixen, and John Stewart Green Lantern.

Do you think a team series featuring these three together would sell well enough to survive? Personally, I would love it!! They are very different characters with different points of view. Throwing them together could be fun. And having them at the forefront doesn't mean you exclude others from appearing, I'd just want to keep those three as the primary focus of the book.
    I wonder if you would include Cyborg into that mix.
    Pull List:
    Marvel: Spider-Man:Renew Your Vows, Champions, Silver Surfer, Hellcat, Slapstick
    DC: Blue Beetle (possible), Batman: White Knight

Maybe not as a permanent series, but as a long mini-series, sure. Mainly because each of them has their fans and pooling them together would create a broad enough fanbase and pull in new/casual readers. The question is, what kind of story ties them all together? Is it an explicitly social theme involving race, or is there a way to more subtly involve the 3 of them? Or do you envision possibly more, possibly non-black characters on the team?

Anyways, I'd definitely pick up at least the first issue.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    I wonder if you would include Cyborg into that mix.
    Personally, I'm not a big Cyborg fan, so I would probably take a pass on using Cyborg.

BANNED

Birds of Prey was pretty much women-only for many many issues without ever having it explicitly in-story explained as such, so I think you could have a story/book where three black characters just happen to end up having an adventure together without it being intentionally around them being black.

Invincible Member

It would be interesting to see, but I guarantee you someone would complain about some sort of "forced agenda".

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Birds of Prey was pretty much women-only for many many issues without ever having it explicitly in-story explained as such, so I think you could have a story/book where three black characters just happen to end up having an adventure together without it being intentionally around them being black.
    Agreed.

I remember in a thread about Duke, some people were saying he should be dealing with social justice or fighting crime in the hood, and I was just like, "Holy shit guys, stop caring about his skin color!"

If it's not, it should be. Nobody bitches whenever they make comics about three white leads.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It would be interesting to see, but I guarantee you someone would complain about some sort of "forced agenda".
    Fairly inevitable. Those same people would likely be silent any time a white male team up occurred.

BANNED

I'm usually of the perception that a team needs something other than skin color to glue them all together and make it work. Thats kinda why I am not sold on Marvels 'the Crew'... aside the stupid name, I don't really see the draw between Luke Cage, Misty Knight and Black Panther that would drag them halfway across the planet to beat up Zeke Stane and some local terrorists. (There may be good reason for them to do so... but as far as I can see, it's kinda like Logan make a very long trip to help out Tony Stark.)

I'd read it.

Not really, I don't think they have enough connection to form a team except for the fact they are all black. I would however if the title could offer something good aside from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I'm usually of the perception that a team needs something other than skin color to glue them all together and make it work. Thats kinda why I am not sold on Marvels 'the Crew'... aside the stupid name, I don't really see the draw between Luke Cage, Misty Knight and Black Panther that would drag them halfway across the planet to beat up Zeke Stane and some local terrorists. (There may be good reason for them to do so... but as far as I can see, it's kinda like Logan make a very long trip to help out Tony Stark.)
    Well, I haven't read much about The Crew but Stane screwed with Wakanda recently and T'Challa called in Luke and Misty (and Manifold) to help out. So I assume if the Crew is going after Stane, they're trying to finish what got started in the pages of Black Panther. Coates seems to have a thing with creating too many plots for one book and spinning the threads into new titles.

As for the OP, like anything I'd certainly read a book about Jeff, John, and Mari if the creative team was quality. I like all those characters but I won't support subpar product regardless of who is on the cover.

I think we're likely past the point where we'd need a reason for a minority-majority team. Mighty Avengers pulled it off without any reason for most of the team to be non-white, the Birds of Prey have been a female team for 99% of its existence and no one ever really cared why, Marvel did an all female X-Men book a while ago and no one demanded to know why it wasnt more of a sausage party.

We'd need a reason for these characters to be together, but that doesnt have to have anything to do with race.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'd read it.
    I would read it, too, but I think some people on both sides of the coin would complain about it. 30-40 years ago? Only racists would have objected.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

Astonishing Member

Hmmm. I don't think it'd need any real story explantion aside from all 3 patrolling together or just being on hand during some story event. They're all Leaguers after all. (Well not sure if Black Lightning is at the moment but y'know).

I'd give it a shot if the premise sounded fun.