Default The Phantom vs The Shadow

May the best sharpshooter win.
    The Shadow the urbane legend
    vs The Phantom the ghost who walks
    The Self is the only existing reality

Veteran Member

Does the Shadow have actual powers, or was that movie version only?

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    Does the Shadow have actual powers, or was that movie version only?
    Some do, some don't.

For example, in the original pulps, he only gained the hypnotism abilities in the last 8 novels. The Radio show expanded upon it, giving his hypnotism more range and oomph, but also made him a man of "science" usually explaining away other stuff as technology (although the idea of a "psychic radio channel" confuses the crap out of me.)

The movie was the only one to give him telekinesis, but the telepathy and hypnotism is even used in his dynamite comics run.
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.".

And in the 80s reboot he got a artificial super body that made him a unaging powerful mofo. ( Shadow.)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryAce View Post
    Some do, some don't.

For example, in the original pulps, he only gained the hypnotism abilities in the last 8 novels. The Radio show expanded upon it, giving his hypnotism more range and oomph, but also made him a man of "science" usually explaining away other stuff as technology (although the idea of a "psychic radio channel" confuses the crap out of me.)

The movie was the only one to give him telekinesis, but the telepathy and hypnotism is even used in his dynamite comics run.
    I know that, in the early books, his invisibility came across more like a skill and/ or invisibility with a "you can see his shadow" limitation. But he was insanely skilled. I always thought the radio show toned him down. You could hear him moving and so could other characters in the story. Plus his main thing was clouding minds so they don't see him. His mind reading was extremely limited in the radio show as was his ability to control minds. Extreme effort and one at a time in any of the episodes I heard. In the movie, I was never sure if that was really telekinesis or part of the illusion.

Since this is, by default, a straight arena match with no environment per se, I'll give it to the Shadow. In a jungle environment, the Phantom might have a chance.
    The Four Levels of Competence
    Unconscious incompetence - where one is not aware one stinks and has zero skill.
    Conscious incompetence - where one has trained enough to finally figured out one stinks and has zero skill.
    Conscious competence - where one has skill, but needs to concentrate and think about everything as one is doing it.
    Unconscious competence - where one has hardwired stuff in enough that one doesn't actually think about what one is doing, but just does it.
    -SharpandPointies

Even with all that, I feel like most versions of the Shadow should be able to put the mind whammy on the Phantom.