Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Gail Simone Appreciation

Admittedly her run went downhill due to editorial, but I still think Gail deserves some props for her contributions to the WW mythos, particularly The Circle.

Alkyone and the Circle was the best kind of retcon.

I thought the white gorillas were strange roommates, though a friendly connection to Gorilla City isn't a bad idea.

I liked the idea of romancing an island god, people seem to forget Diana is an island girl. Though maybe she'd romance Pele instead?

I loved the IDEA of the Sword & Sorcery story, but it was told in a straight Sword & Sorcery style, and I found that annoying.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Admittedly her run went downhill due to editorial, but I still think Gail deserves some props for her contributions to the WW mythos, particularly The Circle.
    Yeah, The Circle is the high point. I love seeing Diana and her mother in action. But, the best part is Simone making Diana's birth even more maternal.

I still really like the first year or so of the run. The Circle and the Ends of the Earth arcs were both great, as was the brief Queen of Fables two parter. Genocide sucked, though editorial interference may have played a large part in that.

I think if Rucka had finished his run as he had intended, and maybe Simone inherited the title immediately after, we would have gotten something much better.

Veteran Member

Simone definitely inherited a lot of mess. One small touch I really liked was the brief glimpses we saw of the exiled Amazons working in various capacities in our world. I would have loved to have seen that explored further.

Genocide, as a character, was a bit disappointing, but I loved the big monster fights in the Olympian and Warkiller stories.

I liked The Circle, the addition of Warkiller to the cast, and her remake of Astarte. In particular, her reimagining of how the lasso works on those ensnared in it was pretty good. I wish more writers used the lasso more compellingly like she did. She also gave Diana a sense of humor, which I appreciated. I'd like to see the Queen of Fables again, but keep Genocide away from this book.

The Circle, The Ends of the Earth, Astarte and the Citizenry, Thalorion, Kane Milohai, the inclusion of Donna and Cassie and the Power Girl and Black Canary guest appearances were all great ideas. She also made me like Nemesis and ship him and Diana.

I only liked the Powergirl arc. Gail showed Wonder Woman's true power in that arc, although she had a dangling plot thread with the kids in that arc.

I think this Diana was one of my favorite versions. I liked her personality a lot she was funny and insightful without being preachy.

Although I dislike Diana as a secret agent and how her romance with Tom ended (it wasn't Gail's fault though) I really like Simone's run. My favorite part was the Circle arc I think I have to reread soon because I barely remember devastation

I loved the idea of Diana as a secret agent, the dynamic btw her and Tom was interesting and the gorrilas were cool sidekicks.

I think this was my first WW run and it was an awesome one.

Tom deserved better

Btw one of my favorite scenes on Gail's run is that very touching scene between Diana and Donna

I loved almost everything. Gail gave Diana THE definitive voice and sense of humor (reminds me of Gal Gadot's WW, retroactively) and aside from the RIDICULOUSNESS of the editorial mandates that ruined Genocide (she was originally one of the New Gods, resurrected) I have no complaints!! Only praise!

The Circle was amazing.

The Olympian was great too, though I wish he'd had a more "wonder-related" costume.
    Are you sure that "by the grace of God" you survived? Maybe God was trying to get you, and missed.
    Twitter @RealWonderman

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I loved almost everything. Gail gave Diana THE definitive voice and sense of humor (reminds me of Gal Gadot's WW, retroactively) and aside from the RIDICULOUSNESS of the editorial mandates that ruined Genocide (she was originally one of the New Gods, resurrected) I have no complaints!! Only praise!

The Circle was amazing.

The Olympian was great too, though I wish he'd had a more "wonder-related" costume.
    Plus...we wouldn't be posting here, on a Wonder Woman message board on CBR if it wasn't for Gail!! She lobbied for it, and then they created it!
    Are you sure that "by the grace of God" you survived? Maybe God was trying to get you, and missed.
    Twitter @RealWonderman