Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post

Batman? He don't need no stinking Batman!
    None of the Batfamily does. They're all heroes in their own right.

Astonishing Member

That Rossmo Joker, though. Tuxedo t-shirt for the win!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

That situation has been a problem for over 35 years even during the 100,000+ copies a month sales of New Teen Titans. The Batman editors are *very* territorial about Dick Grayson--always have been and always will be.

The irony of that, of course, is those boneheads didn't do jack sh!t with Grayson for years until he became a hot commodity thanks to the Wolfman & Perez Titans and his being upgraded to Nightwing. All of a sudden, with Marv and George having made Dick Grayson cool and popular on DC's #1 book, then they suddenly saw the value in him again.

Screw the Batman crew. Dick is a Titan first and foremost in my book and always will be.

I completely agree.

Dick really hasn't been a Batman-centric property since the '60s tv show and '70s Superfriends, IMO.

I remember back in the early '80s when both the Super Powers action figures and the DC Heroes RPG came out, and any time I considered pairing Robin with Batman it was reflective of the history in either the '60s show or the '70s cartoon.

I think Nightwing should be a Titans franchise title, with ties to Batman. Not the other way around.
    Besides... Batman won't miss one title out of a horde.

Oh, and sorry for derailing the thread.
    Back to spoiling.
    "The definition of all ages is it’s not just for little kids." - Greg Goldstein, President of IDW.
    Currently reading: Doom Patrol, Micronauts, ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I completely agree.

Dick really hasn't been a Batman-centric property since the '60s tv show and '70s Superfriends, IMO.

I remember back in the early '80s when both the Super Powers action figures and the DC Heroes RPG came out, and any time I considered pairing Robin with Batman it was reflective of the history in either the '60s show or the '70s cartoon.

I think Nightwing should be a Titans franchise title, with ties to Batman. Not the other way around.
    Besides... Batman won't miss one title out of a horde.

Oh, and sorry for derailing the thread.
    Back to spoiling.
    Steph: "DID SOMEBODY SAY SPOILING?!"

BANNED

So basically we don't really know what the history of Superman is, because it's all being changed around to try to fit both stuff that would be Lois and Clark getting together ("the familar...") and the New52 stories ("...and the new...")...

I mean, I don't care, I can roll with it. But people who wanted pre-Flashpoint back should be peeved. And people who hate partial reboots. And people who hate it when previous stories are still in the history of a character but it couldn't have happened that way...

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

If this stays...

I'm so, so, so, SOOOOO glad that the time refugee crap was indeed retconned out and Jon is folded into a proper linear continuity (Lois now gives birth in the Fortress, and we see Perry and Jimmy playing with the baby, all things that didn't happen the way Jon's history was constructed before). That was my absolute, number one must-have development.

And now Dr. Manhattan cometh. Superman is officially the first character/family "fixed". That's going to wake him up. This was also something I theorized/wanted to happen. For Superman to be the catalyst that jump-starts the last half of Rebirth with the major antagonist revealing himself.

Slightly disappointed though the Krypton imagery is largely Donner via Johns, as Morrison's imagery blew it out of the water, but eh. At least Jor-El has black hair instead of white. He looks kinda a mix between pre-Crisis/Russell Crowe as opposed to Brando.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-20-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    So basically we don't really know what the history of Superman is, because it's all being changed around to try to fit both stuff that would be Lois and Clark getting together ("the familar...") and the New52 stories ("...and the new...")...

I mean, I don't care, I can roll with it. But people who wanted pre-Flashpoint back should be peeved. And people who hate partial reboots. And people who hate it when previous stories are still in the history of a character but it couldn't have happened that way...
    And keep in mind that we still have 24 more issues until #1000.
    This could just be a stepping stone towards something entirely different.
    "The definition of all ages is it’s not just for little kids." - Greg Goldstein, President of IDW.
    Currently reading: Doom Patrol, Micronauts, ROM.

I doubt things will change dramatically for #1000. More clarification, perhaps, but no more major changes for a while. Aftermath will deal a bit with specific details, then maybe they leave things alone till #1000 reveals more, but this general template, a merger of New 52/post-Crisis with Jon shunted in, is it, I think.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If this stays...

I'm so, so, so, SOOOOO glad that the time refugee crap was indeed retconned out and Jon is folded into a proper linear continuity (Lois now gives birth in the Fortress, and we see Perry and Jimmy playing with the baby, all things that didn't happen the way Jon's history was constructed before). That was my absolute, number one must-have development.

And now Dr. Manhattan cometh. Superman is officially the first character/family "fixed". That's going to wake him up.

Slightly disappointed though the Krypton imagery is largely Johns, as Morrison's blew it out of the water, but eh. At least Jor-El has black hair instead of white.
    Me too.

I was hoping they'd just revert to Morrison's origin , but at least this isn't full stop just SECRET ORIGIN.

Actually the Jor-El here looks more like the Jor and Lara we saw in the ACTION annual that followed UP UP AND AWAY and in the flashbacks in ACTION​ #850. That version of Krypton was Donner inspired but not a total Donner copy we had in SO. I dig the young Jor with the beard much more than the older white haired Jor. Partially because he looks just like Kal and we all know how I hope and pray for the day they allow Supes to keep a beard in çontiniuity.

I just hope though that a good dose of PreCrisis is still canon going forward, or at the very least nothing that outright says those stories never happened. As it is, it looks like a lions share of both preFlashpoint and New 52 still counts and that does count for something.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 03-20-2017 at 06:11 PM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I'm still hoping in that subsequent Trinity issue, we get a situation where (albeit sappy), Superman's touch or something "wakes" Bruce and Diana to their memories of him.

I'd even go for a group Superfriends hug.

Kingdom Come Board Original Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    People like that are so fundamentalist in their beliefs, they will never be satisfied with whatever they do. The vast majority of fans simply want good stories about the continuing adventures of the characters they enjoy. The problems fans have with continuity revisions, regardless of whether it is the New 52, Infinite Crisis, Zero Hour or Post-Crisis, generally stem from poor creative choices that limit creator choices or diminish existing character relationships, such as removing Wonder Woman as a founder of the JLA, erasing Cyborg's time with the Titans and so on.

If this latest revision of Superman's history keeps the best parts of both New 52 and Pre-Flashpoint elements, that frees everybody up to tell interesting stories going forward.

BANNED

That situation has been a problem for over 35 years even during the 100,000+ copies a month sales of New Teen Titans. The Batman editors are *very* territorial about Dick Grayson--always have been and always will be.

The irony of that, of course, is those boneheads didn't do jack sh!t with Grayson for years until he became a hot commodity thanks to the Wolfman & Perez Titans and his being upgraded to Nightwing. All of a sudden, with Marv and George having made Dick Grayson cool and popular on DC's #1 book, then they suddenly saw the value in him again.

Screw the Batman crew. Dick is a Titan first and foremost in my book and always will be.

Yeah because the Titans editors have done such a spectacular job with Donna, Garth, Beast Boy,Raven, Starfire,Roy etc.
    Dick is on his 4th ongoing book thanks to the Bateditors. If he was left to the mercy of the Titans franchise he'd have gone the way of Tim Drake and Wally West.
    The Bat editors aren't saints but their success speaks for itself. Titans can come back when they grant a stable ongoing to a character not named Deathstroke.
    Last edited by darkseidpwns; 03-20-2017 at 11:32 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    None of the Batfamily does. They're all heroes in their own right.
    Good.joke, without Batman's coattails these guys are looking at limbo as their permanent destination.

There goes my hope that I could get New 52 Superman sometime done the river of Time. Oh well, I still have Aquaman and the Batman line, Superman's Line can return to its more classical dull and boring tone, I guess.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    People like that are so fundamentalist in their beliefs, they will never be satisfied with whatever they do. The vast majority of fans simply want good stories about the continuing adventures of the characters they enjoy. The problems fans have with continuity revisions, regardless of whether it is the New 52, Infinite Crisis, Zero Hour or Post-Crisis, generally stem from poor creative choices that limit creator choices or diminish existing character relationships, such as removing Wonder Woman as a founder of the JLA, erasing Cyborg's time with the Titans and so on.
    Exactly, emphasis on the "continuing." All people want is to have the books/characters they're reading currently to be a reflection of the developments and contributions to the mythology that decades' worth of writers have built. That's especially true when it comes to the big, character-defining arcs, like the Death of Superman, Knightfall, and the Coming of Galactus.

So, of course people get irked when you upend a characters' entire world and erase not only stories, but entire characters and their relationships to each other from the mythology. That's what went down with New 52 and I'm glad to see them reversing it in at least some capacity. I think Superman Reborn is pretty much the test run for what's going to be the case across the DCU come the end of Rebirth.
    Last edited by Zeeguy91; 03-21-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    Favorite Mythologies: Green Lantern, Batman (pre-Flashpoint), Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Justice League/JLA (pre-Flashpoint)

DC Pulls - Action Comics; Batman; Hal Jordan & the GLC; Superman; Wonder Woman

Marvel Pulls - Captain America: Steve Rogers; The Mighty Thor

Non-Big Two Pulls - Saga; Archie