Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Just could not be anymore happy with the state of Superman books currently.
    Last edited by GSman; 03-20-2017 at 04:10 PM.

New paint, same engine Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Not a fan of Metallo's new look. Its a rather lazy "just another Lex Luthor" appearance. Not at all unique.
    It's kind of a wonky pic, I thought it was Lex at first. But Zircher posted some pencils and from also looking at the May covers, we can see it's more of a riff on Roger Corben.

I actually like Metallo's look, it's creepy and sleek. The whole revenge squad looks lit. Speaking of new looks, I gotta say, the more I see the look of post reborn Supes, the more I love it. Anyway as long Superman doesn't get his new 52 Flare powers back, I don't mind Jon having something similar, he isn't full kryptonian after all, and his powerset ought to show that. Also if I had a penny, for every time the giant penny in the batcave was used as a weapon....
    there is no "i" in denial

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Superman kneeling before Zod with that rogue's gallery of villains in the background is a great cover concept. I have to say this- Dan Jurgens does tend to think up stuff that make for really good covers- Clark Kent fighting Superman, etc.. The overall execution of the comics isn't always perfect, but he's got a knack for sort of painting situations that draw you in- I'm also reminded of when Luthor told Superman (Who was weakened by a red sun) to get behind him and said anyone who wants to hurt Superman has to get through me. That was pretty cool, too. The handshake was also pretty iconic.

I mean, honestly, who could resist picking up a cover of an issue with Superman kneeling in front of General Zod? I am reminded of the open of his current run of Action Comics as well, which featured the Rebirth Superman in full uniform, Luthor dressed up as Superman, and Doomsday- again, who's not buying that one to see what in the world is going on there?

Granted, I hate that he got rid of New52 Superman- really, really hate that- and I don't like the Jon character. But I have to give him credit where credit is due with the above paragraph. He's not a bad idea guy. He just needs a filter- like "Superman kneeling before Zod, yes. Killing off New52 Superman in favor of SuperDad, no.". You know, that sort of thing. And some of these plots could be a little more condensed. But he's not doing a bad job so much as that I just haven't found this incarnation of Superman or the Jon thing and the family concept compelling- put a single New52 Superman in these situations, and I'd be digging it. Maybe Reborn will help a bit with that- Jon is clearly still here, but maybe enough of New52 Superman will be merged in to the Reborn Superman that I'll feel a little more connected with the title character again- that's what I'm hoping for.

It looks like Tomasi and the Superman title are still off in Jon-land. If I thought Jon was really going to turn into a villain, that might be compelling, but I know he isn't, and is under someone's influence, and I dislike the character, so... Why is he still such a focus when he has his own Super Sons book? Wasn't that supposed to move him off the stage a little bit in the main books? I almost feel like they should just rename the Superman title as Superboy or whatever, because Jon is such a big focus- which makes it really hard for those of us who dislike him to engage with the comic.
    Not to sound like a broken record, killing New 52 Supes wasn't Jurgens call. It wasn't Tomasi's call. It came from somewhere above them and was being put into motion even before Jurgens came up with the Convergence issue that introduced the Super family. I'm sure if Jurgens was told to use Nuperman , he'd have happily used Nuperman. He wrote Post Crisis Supes for 10 years in spite of not being a fan of the Byrne reboot. Jurgens doesn't have the pull to decide which Supes DC publish.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It's kind of a wonky pic, I thought it was Lex at first. But Zircher posted some pencils and from also looking at the May covers, we can see it's more of a riff on Roger Corben.
    Maybe it IS Roger Corben? One kinda good/ redeemed ( John) and one evil ( Roger) ?
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 03-20-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spoilers
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

SUPERGIRL #10
    Written by STEVE ORLANDO • Art by BRIAN CHING • Cover by ROBSON ROCHA and DANIEL HENRIQUES • Variant cover by BENGAL
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details. Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
    “ESCAPE FROM THE PHANTOM ZONE” part two! The Phantom King holds all the cards, and he’s forcing Supergirl and Batgirl to turn to the alien antagonist in order to save themselves and the humans trapped inside the Phantom Zone.
    On sale JUNE 14 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

SUPERWOMAN #11
    Written by K. PERKINS • Art by STEPHEN SEGOVIA and ART THIBERT • Cover by KEN LASHLEY • Variant cover by RENATO GUEDES
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details. Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
    “Rediscovery” part three! Former friends duke it out as Superwoman squares off against…Natasha Irons?! In the battle to contain the freed Stryker’s inmates, Lana and Natasha are split over what to do about Natasha’s criminal father, Crash.
    On sale JUNE 14 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

SUPER SONS #5
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI • Art and cover by JORGE JIMENEZ • Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    “Battle in the Batcave”! The battle with Kid Amazo leaves Jon and Damian’s friendship in ruins as the boys decide their partnership isn’t working out! It’s a rumble between Superboy and Robin like you’ve never seen as the boys rage through the house Batman built!
    On sale JUNE 21 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

SUPERMAN #25
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON • Art by PATRICK GLEASON, DOUG MAHNKE and others • Cover by RYAN SOOK • Variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “BLACK DAWN” part six! The extra-sized finale to “Black Dawn” reveals the villain tearing the Super-Family apart and destroying everything the Man of Steel holds dear!
    On sale JUNE 21 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

ACTION COMICS #982
    Written by DAN JURGENS • Art by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC • Cover by PATCH ZIRCHER
    Variant cover by GARY FRANK
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “REVENGE” part four! General Zod takes command as he leads Cyborg Superman, Eradicator, Mongul, Blanque and Metallo against Superman—but his real motives are yet to be revealed and may have far graver consequences for Superman than anyone imagines.
    On sale JUNE 28 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    Will be getting Supergirl & Superwoman!

I'm honestly wondering if Action and Superman alike might be headed for some creative team changes over the next few months - aside from the obvious "rebooting him means nothing if everything continues like nothing happened" issue, Black Dawn and Revenge seem like the big conclusions to everything both books have done thus far. Superman's wrapping up the Hamilton setup and apparently addressing Jon's fear of losing control of his powers, the major throughlines of the series since issue one. Revenge is drawing together Blanque and presumably Hank Henshaw - the two biggest remaining plot threads now that 'Clark' is gone and Doomsday is property of the larger Rebirth story - and with the villain league this presents the largest possible threat Jurgens would ever reasonably bring to bear. Plus Tomasi/Gleason would be ending on an anniversary issue with #25, and assuming Revenge is 6 issues, the new team would be coming in on a nice round number for Action with #985. Not that I'm even necessarily betting on it, but this all seems climatic enough that I'm wondering if they were told that they had 3-4 months after Reborn to do everything left they wanted to do, and then it's new blood for the new version of Superman.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I actually like Metallo's look, it's creepy and sleek. The whole revenge squad looks lit. Speaking of new looks, I gotta say, the more I see the look of post reborn Supes, the more I love it. Anyway as long Superman doesn't get his new 52 Flare powers back, I don't mind Jon having something similar, he isn't full kryptonian after all, and his powerset ought to show that. Also if I had a penny, for every time the giant penny in the batcave was used as a weapon....
    …you'd have a giant penny.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Veteran Member

Man, I really like Zod's new costume.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

New paint, same engine Kuwagaton's Avatar

I really hope Victor Bog will return to Super-man after this issue. Tan has been good but it's Bog's show.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Maybe it IS Roger Corben? One kinda good/ redeemed ( John) and one evil ( Roger) ?
    Perhaps. I prefer Roger. No idea where New 52 Metallo ended up, tbh.

I really hope Victor Bog will return to Super-man after this issue. Tan has been good but it's Bog's show.

New 52 Metallo died in the Truth Arc.

spoilers:
    he died in that Vandal Savage arc
    end of spoilers
    there is no "i" in denial

I'm honestly wondering if Action and Superman alike might be headed for some creative team changes over the next few months - aside from the obvious "rebooting him means nothing if everything continues like nothing happened" issue, Black Dawn and Revenge seem like the big conclusions to everything both books have done thus far. Superman's wrapping up the Hamilton setup and apparently addressing Jon's fear of losing control of his powers, the major throughlines of the series since issue one. Revenge is drawing together Blanque and presumably Hank Henshaw - the two biggest remaining plot threads now that 'Clark' is gone and Doomsday is property of the larger Rebirth story - and with the villain league this presents the largest possible threat Jurgens would ever reasonably bring to bear. Plus Tomasi/Gleason would be ending on an anniversary issue with #25, and assuming Revenge is 6 issues, the new team would be coming in on a nice round number for Action with #985. Not that I'm even necessarily betting on it, but this all seems climatic enough that I'm wondering if they were told that they had 3-4 months after Reborn to do everything left they wanted to do, and then it's new blood for the new version of Superman.
    All the 25th issues seem to be setting up new status quoes. Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Green Arrow are tying up all their set-ups from the beginning of Rebirth also. Hell, DC are even splitting Ollie and Dinah again (upsets me, but they're always on/off, it's very much a part of their characters). The Steve Trevor one-shot also teases Steve and Diana are far from a sure thing.

Feels right that if we're going by a SW trilogy structure for Rebirth...with "A New Hope" being 2016, the tone of these upcoming issues suggests this is the year of "Empire Strikes Back"
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-20-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    All the 25th issues seem to be setting up new status quoes. Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Green Arrow are tying up all their set-ups from the beginning of Rebirth also. Hell, DC are even splitting Ollie and Dinah again (upsets me, but they're always on/off, it's very much a part of their characters). The Steve Trevor one-shot also teases Steve and Diana are far from a sure thing.

Feels right that if we're going by a SW trilogy structure for Rebirth...with "A New Hope" being 2016, the tone of these upcoming issues suggests this is the year of "Empire Strikes Back"
    It seems to be varying. Of the #25 'anniversary issues' that month, Batman, Aquaman, Flash and Green Arrow are heading in new directions while maintaining their current teams, while Wonder Woman is reaching a point that seems like it might be the end of Rucka's time on the book (not surprising, since my understanding is that he only took the job in the first place to fix her after what Azzarello did, and get to tell his take on her origin the way he was told he could on Earth One before the job was handed to Morrison). Between the two Superman seems to be leaning in the latter direction, and since I'm pretty sure it's been consistently selling better than Action, I'd be surprised if Tomasi/Gleason got phased out with the new status quo and resolution of their plot but not Jurgens.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

I'm actually super into the Metallo look. It's got that exposed wiring, Robocop (no helmet), slim down look that I think workers with his character. The Lex war suit-like look even works for me. If Metallo's origin has any resemblance to Secret Origin then the green and resemblance make sense.

Also really love Cyborg's look. Simple.

I'm torn. Tomasi and Gleason have been doing great (most fun I've had read the main Superman title since ever), and I'd love to see what they do once they're given all of the traditional toys to play with Post-Reborn. Jurgens has actually been really growing on me with his "I'm gonna just write a straight up Superman story" mentality. Then again, I wouldn't mind fresh blood.

It's just such a gamble, is all. I'd only blindly trust a few writers with Superman in the tender state he's in now. Dude's finally got the popularity on his side, and at least one of his books has turned into a pretty unanimous must-read.

I doubt Tomasi and Gleason will leave given how popular their run is and the fact that it's Didio's favorite book (along with Super Sons). And it would honestly have to be someone worthwhile stepping into Action if Jurgens were to leave. Like Jeff Parker, Mark Russell, or Tim Seeley sort of worthwhile. Or maybe even a new talent, but anything workmenlike would just be a waste, imo.

I'd like to see what Jurgens does with the post-Rebirth timeline.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-20-2017 at 05:39 PM.