Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default Superman June 2017 Solicitations

SUPERMAN #24
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON • Art by DOUG MAHNKE and JAIME MENDOZA • Cover by RYAN SOOK • Variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “BLACK DAWN” part five! The Man of Steel faces the one foe he refuses to fight—his son. An emerging new ability for Superboy proves deadly to Superman as the promise of power appears to lead Jon Kent to betray his father.
    On sale JUNE 7 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

ACTION COMICS #981
    Written by DAN JURGENS • Art by JACK HERBERT • Cover by PATCH ZIRCHER
    Variant cover by GARY FRANK
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “REVENGE” part three! Superman races to save the Suicide Squad from General Zod, Cyborg Superman and Eradicator. Can the Man of Steel escape the Black Vault and stop the carnage before Harley, Deadshot and the rest of Task Force X are forced to make a final stand?
    On sale JUNE 14 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

NEW SUPER-MAN #12
    Written by GENE LUEN YANG • Art by BILLY TAN • Cover by PHILIP TAN • Variant cover by BERNARD CHANG
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details. Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
    “THE ZERO ULTIMATUM” part two! New Super-Man and the Justice League of China must take back Shanghai from the current emperor—the original super-powered creation of Dr. Omen! While the battle may be winnable, a devastating secret comes to light and shakes the young Super-Man to his core.
    On sale JUNE 14 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

SUPERGIRL #10
    Written by STEVE ORLANDO • Art by BRIAN CHING • Cover by ROBSON ROCHA and DANIEL HENRIQUES • Variant cover by BENGAL
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details. Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
    “ESCAPE FROM THE PHANTOM ZONE” part two! The Phantom King holds all the cards, and he’s forcing Supergirl and Batgirl to turn to the alien antagonist in order to save themselves and the humans trapped inside the Phantom Zone.

SUPERWOMAN #11
    Written by K. PERKINS • Art by STEPHEN SEGOVIA and ART THIBERT • Cover by KEN LASHLEY • Variant cover by RENATO GUEDES
    “Rediscovery” part three! Former friends duke it out as Superwoman squares off against…Natasha Irons?! In the battle to contain the freed Stryker’s inmates, Lana and Natasha are split over what to do about Natasha’s criminal father, Crash.

SUPER SONS #5
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI • Art and cover by JORGE JIMENEZ • Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    “Battle in the Batcave”! The battle with Kid Amazo leaves Jon and Damian’s friendship in ruins as the boys decide their partnership isn’t working out! It’s a rumble between Superboy and Robin like you’ve never seen as the boys rage through the house Batman built!
    On sale JUNE 21 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

SUPERMAN #25
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI and PATRICK GLEASON • Art by PATRICK GLEASON, DOUG MAHNKE and others • Cover by RYAN SOOK • Variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
    “BLACK DAWN” part six! The extra-sized finale to “Black Dawn” reveals the villain tearing the Super-Family apart and destroying everything the Man of Steel holds dear!
    On sale JUNE 21 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

ACTION COMICS #982
    Written by DAN JURGENS • Art by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC • Cover by PATCH ZIRCHER
    Variant cover by GARY FRANK
    “REVENGE” part four! General Zod takes command as he leads Cyborg Superman, Eradicator, Mongul, Blanque and Metallo against Superman—but his real motives are yet to be revealed and may have far graver consequences for Superman than anyone imagines.
    On sale JUNE 28 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

That Action cover has some notable details; the Cyborg Superman's changed his costume to match the Reborn Clark, and Metallo's been pretty radically redesigned.

Heavy Vinyl Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

Not hopeful about these, except for New Super-Man, Supergirl, and Super Sons.

Even Superwoman is worrying me with the hero vs hero story.

But these are still just solicits, I'll hopefully like more of the actual issues once I've read them.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

The idea of the ten year old betraying his dad makes me roll my eyes out. But it's too early to judge.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

Not a fan of Metallo's new look. Its a rather lazy "just another Lex Luthor" appearance. Not at all unique. Everyone else looks good.

And it looks like Jon's getting some sort of Kryptonite flare power.

Other than that kinda seems like a down month, honestly. Nothing too exciting. Though probably for the first time I will say the Action arc sounds better than the Superman arc. But again this is all just solicits.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-20-2017 at 03:11 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

Heavy Vinyl Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

So Jon can emit kryptonite radiation? That's what it looks like on the cover.

Superman appears to be in pain, but not Lois.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    The idea of the ten year old betraying his dad makes me roll my eyes out. But it's too early to judge.
    I would'nt worry too much. If we go by previous solicitations, Action Comics' storyline chronologically takes place after Black Dawn, as the force tempting Jon is the one preventing the Kents from leaving Hamilton. By the time the Revenge Squad story kicks in, they've moved home to Metropolis.

Superman kneeling before Zod with that rogue's gallery of villains in the background is a great cover concept. I have to say this- Dan Jurgens does tend to think up stuff that make for really good covers- Clark Kent fighting Superman, etc.. The overall execution of the comics isn't always perfect, but he's got a knack for sort of painting situations that draw you in- I'm also reminded of when Luthor told Superman (Who was weakened by a red sun) to get behind him and said anyone who wants to hurt Superman has to get through me. That was pretty cool, too. The handshake was also pretty iconic.

I mean, honestly, who could resist picking up a cover of an issue with Superman kneeling in front of General Zod? I am reminded of the open of his current run of Action Comics as well, which featured the Rebirth Superman in full uniform, Luthor dressed up as Superman, and Doomsday- again, who's not buying that one to see what in the world is going on there?

Granted, I hate that he got rid of New52 Superman- really, really hate that- and I don't like the Jon character. But I have to give him credit where credit is due with the above paragraph. He's not a bad idea guy. He just needs a filter- like "Superman kneeling before Zod, yes. Killing off New52 Superman in favor of SuperDad, no.". You know, that sort of thing. And some of these plots could be a little more condensed. But he's not doing a bad job so much as that I just haven't found this incarnation of Superman or the Jon thing and the family concept compelling- put a single New52 Superman in these situations, and I'd be digging it. Maybe Reborn will help a bit with that- Jon is clearly still here, but maybe enough of New52 Superman will be merged in to the Reborn Superman that I'll feel a little more connected with the title character again- that's what I'm hoping for.

It looks like Tomasi and the Superman title are still off in Jon-land. If I thought Jon was really going to turn into a villain, that might be compelling, but I know he isn't, and is under someone's influence, and I dislike the character, so... Why is he still such a focus when he has his own Super Sons book? Wasn't that supposed to move him off the stage a little bit in the main books? I almost feel like they should just rename the Superman title as Superboy or whatever, because Jon is such a big focus- which makes it really hard for those of us who dislike him to engage with the comic.

Thoughts:

- I'm curious about Jon's new power. The green flare and Superman being in pain implies it's Kryptonite-related. I wonder if Jon's hybrid DNA makes him immune to Kryptonite and maybe able to absorb it?

- Superman teaming-up with the Suicide Squad to take out Zod and the Revenge Squad actually sounds kind of cool .

- I did not expect this Supergirl/Batgirl team-up to go on this long .

- I'm guessing from the Superwoman cover that Lana decides to go along with Natasha to break her Dad out of prison and Steel tries to stop them.

I'm not too sure Jon's power will be kryptonite based. It's already been confirmed that Jon is just as vulnerable to K radiation as his father (see Superman issue 4 where Bibo's "moon rock" downs father and son).

They might be going symbolic on this cover. As in, Jon figuratively becoming his dad's "kryptonite."

It might be a situation where he can draw in large amounts of power from sources outside of the sun, like his own father. When it says "the promise of power appears to lead Jon Kent to betray his father" it seems to be talking about adding power to Jon. So, if it is a draining ability, I think it'll obviously add to Jon's current power as a boost. However, I also think Jon won't be able to control it, thus he'll "appear" to betray his father.

Anyone remember the JLA member/villain, Triumph? I was introduced to him in Morrison's run. He was basically Marvel's Sentry before Marvel's Sentry, and he had the power of energy manipulation. In fact, he had the power to draw out every ounce of power from Superman's cells and effectively kill him. This may be around the same deal, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    Superman kneeling before Zod with that rogue's gallery of villains in the background is a great cover concept. I have to say this- Dan Jurgens does tend to think up stuff that make for really good covers- Clark Kent fighting Superman, etc.. The overall execution of the comics isn't always perfect, but he's got a knack for sort of painting situations that draw you in- I'm also reminded of when Luthor told Superman (Who was weakened by a red sun) to get behind him and said anyone who wants to hurt Superman has to get through me. That was pretty cool, too. The handshake was also pretty iconic.

I mean, honestly, who could resist picking up a cover of an issue with Superman kneeling in front of General Zod? I am reminded of the open of his current run of Action Comics as well, which featured the Rebirth Superman in full uniform, Luthor dressed up as Superman, and Doomsday- again, who's not buying that one to see what in the world is going on there?

Granted, I hate that he got rid of New52 Superman- really, really hate that- and I don't like the Jon character. But I have to give him credit where credit is due with the above paragraph. He's not a bad idea guy. He just needs a filter- like "Superman kneeling before Zod, yes. Killing off New52 Superman in favor of SuperDad, no.". You know, that sort of thing. And some of these plots could be a little more condensed. But he's not doing a bad job so much as that I just haven't found this incarnation of Superman or the Jon thing and the family concept compelling- put a single New52 Superman in these situations, and I'd be digging it. Maybe Reborn will help a bit with that- Jon is clearly still here, but maybe enough of New52 Superman will be merged in to the Reborn Superman that I'll feel a little more connected with the title character again- that's what I'm hoping for.

It looks like Tomasi and the Superman title are still off in Jon-land. If I thought Jon was really going to turn into a villain, that might be compelling, but I know he isn't, and is under someone's influence, and I dislike the character, so... Why is he still such a focus when he has his own Super Sons book? Wasn't that supposed to move him off the stage a little bit in the main books? I almost feel like they should just rename the Superman title as Superboy or whatever, because Jon is such a big focus- which makes it really hard for those of us who dislike him to engage with the comic.
    I dunno man, I absolutely loathe the way Snyder treated Damian like didn't exist on his run as Batman (and the way he constantly snubs him off in the favor of his OC's), so I'm actually okay with him appearing constantly on the main Superman book (it's the way it should be, imo, the kid is his son) because it reminds me a lot of Tomasi/Gleeson's Batman and Robin which was for me the best n52 book just like Superman is one of the top #5 titles for me.

(and besides the idea of the ten year old being a nemesis is very..eh...whatever.)

Other than that, I admit this seems like a low month other than Supersons that is a really great book!

-I liked the new enemy of Kenan Kong.. New Super-Man should continue.

-I liked the supergirl cover with Xa-du..

... About Superwoman.. I expect another armor.. Seems that The sales will end this comic in the next number.. Maybe, like Damian post-resurrection his powers will disappear after reborn to end the serie.

Zod is awesome but Metallo body is like Luthor armor..

That cover of superman has given me bad memories.. for the solar flare...
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-20-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Thoughts on everything:

-Superman looks really interesting given what we've heard from it's past solicitations for this arc. Jon had lost his powers and now they're coming back with a new one ta boot (called it!). I wonder if his power loss is tied to his emotions, or Superman Reborn, or the villain of the arc?

-Action sounds like a really good time. Just a straight up Superman story.

-New Super-Man is never not good, so no worries there.

-Pretty pumped to see the Phantom King again, but the Supergirl comic still doesn't have me quite yet.

-Really wasn't expecting Lana to still have her powers, though it could be a fakeout since the Steel on the cover isn't Nat.

-Super Sons has no choice but to look and sound fantastic. Jon and Damian tearing up the cave sounds like a blast!

I know its Tomasi and Gleason, so its going to be a happy ending, but I don't want to see Jon fight Superman.