Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Resident of Central City RedWhiteAndBlueSupes's Avatar

Just talking to my local Super-fans tonight, initial reaction has been pretty negative. This just makes an already convoluted Superman timeline even more Convoluted. I agree with Zeeguy and others on here that he looks like he is returning to his Secret Origins origin, which is fine but sheesh. This is gonna be headache inducing nonsense that essentially accomplishes nothing as far as making an easier to follow Superman timeline. NOT a fan of OMDing Jon into the timeline, I was hoping DC had learned there lesson with this crap...I've already read most of those stories and it's pretty clear Jon wasn't just chillin' in the background...uggghh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    So like many were guessing, they retconned Jon into being born in the steamlined continuity, not in the Convergence mess.
    Meh, it's even more of a mess now. Convergence undid COIE? what happened with that, and even if you ignore that there is still a Parrallax running around out there somewhere from Convergence...or at least there was.
    I wonder what it would be like--to be the fastest man on Earth? Well...I'll never know-- The Flash was just a character some writer dreamed up! -Barry Allen (showcase #4)

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes View Post
    Convergence undid COIE? what happened with that, and even if you ignore that there is still a Parrallax running around out there somewhere from Convergence...or at least there was.
    It would be better if everything about Convergence was forgotten completely. That thing was such a freaking nonsensical mess it's not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    It would be better if everything about Convergence was forgotten completely. That thing was such a freaking nonsensical mess it's not even funny.
    well, it really started out ok, unfortunately DC seems to have completely dropped the ball on it, it got alot of people excited and now it's like there not even bothering to make sense of it anymore. So what the hell was all that stuff anyway? I guess DC wiggled out of ever having to explain any of that by just screwing with the timeline....once again......uggghhh.

It looks like its nothing more than a slightly crappier version of Countdown:Arena. But at least that story kinda made sense.
    I wonder what it would be like--to be the fastest man on Earth? Well...I'll never know-- The Flash was just a character some writer dreamed up! -Barry Allen (showcase #4)

This is the best way they could choose without disappointing both Superdad and Nuperman fan bases in my opinion. I am extremely happy that Reborn has lived up to my expectations. Now that the timelines have merged, which stories of new 52 are gonna be in continuity?

Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    This is the best way they could choose without disappointing both Superdad and Nuperman fan bases in my opinion. I am extremely happy that Reborn has lived up to my expectations. Now that the timelines have merged, which stories of new 52 are gonna be in continuity?
    who knows, but I would have to say almost certainly very few to none. And any new 52 stuff would have happened way differently anyway, outside of a rogue or character introduced during that time, I don't see how most of that stuff can be in continuity. It's nigh near impossible to imagine how Secret Origins and "our worlds at war" could have happened and yet somthing like "Superman Unchained" or Morrison's Atction could happen. The latter making no sense at all in this timeline. That's why this wasn't a good solution in my opinion, it would have been much easier to just have Superdad remember "some wacky time in his life where he was split" and just go on his merry way.

who knows, but I would have to say almost certainly very few to none. And any new 52 stuff would have happened way differently anyway, outside of a rogue or character introduced during that time, I don't see how most of that stuff can be in continuity. It's nigh near impossible to imagine how Secret Origins and "our worlds at war" could have happened and yet somthing like "Superman Unchained" or Morrison's Atction could happen. The latter making no sense at all in this timeline. That's why this wasn't a good solution in my opinion, it would have been much easier to just have Superdad remember "some wacky time in his life where he was split" and just go on his merry way.
    Unchained and H'el stories should remain in continuity. I liked Wraith and H'el
    How would that "wacky time in his life where he was split" explain Jon to others such as Daily Planet staffs etc?

It does complicate things because everyone's gonna wonder what's canon and what's not, hopefully AC #977 can clear some of it up.

The best thing it looks like could happen would just be some version of those guys just fighting the pre-flashpoint supes at some point. But it would have happened significantly different than it did in new 52.
    How would that "wacky time in his life where he was split" explain Jon to others such as Daily Planet staffs etc?
    No differently than Chris Kent, or Damian just showing up, or Conner, Wally's kids, pretty much every other Superhero who didn't have a giant retcon to explain having a kid, we were never gonna see him grow up in real time anyway, so who cares?

well, it really started out ok, unfortunately DC seems to have completely dropped the ball on it, it got alot of people excited and now it's like there not even bothering to make sense of it anymore. So what the hell was all that stuff anyway? I guess DC wiggled out of ever having to explain any of that by just screwing with the timeline....once again......uggghhh.

It looks like its nothing more than a slightly crappier version of Countdown:Arena. But at least that story kinda made sense.
    You've got it backwards. Countdown: Arena was the slightly crappier of the two.

While I've championed Convergence in the past, that's mainly been because it was an agent of change, a way to bring back pre-Flashpoint elements that New 52 lost. With Rebirth doing that task, I'll be fine if the influences of Convergence get shifted to a meta-level (i.e., it “happened” in the same way that CoIE “happened”, in a layer of Hypertime that has been buried and forgotten under the post-Reborn timeline but which was instrumental to bringing the new timeline into being), with the post-Reborn timeline being sealed off from it and no future stories referencing it.

The one element of Convergence that I'd still like to see addressed is the CoIE retcon that it ended with. But I think the ship has sailed on that: the best I can hope for is for Multiversity Too to address it, probably as an aside.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Because Jon was born before the split?

How I would treat it is that Jon was born ten years ago. The split was five years ago. Blanque or someone erased the world's memory of Superman and the double -- having amnesia -- re-debuted as Superman.

Also this raises a bigger question, if there's always been one Superman that being the merged Superdad and Nuperman then what the heck was that ghost of New 52 Superman in New Super Man #9? Since that takes place after Reborn there shouldn't be a ghost of New 52 Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    You've got it backwards. Countdown: Arena was the slightly crappier of the two.

While I've championed Convergence in the past, that's mainly been because it was an agent of change, a way to bring back pre-Flashpoint elements that New 52 lost. With Rebirth doing that task, I'll be fine if the influences of Convergence get shifted to a meta-level (i.e., it “happened” in the same way that CoIE “happened”, in a layer of Hypertime that has been buried and forgotten under the post-Reborn timeline but which was instrumental to bringing the new timeline into being), with the post-Reborn timeline being sealed off from it and no future stories referencing it.

The one element of Convergence that I'd still like to see addressed is the CoIE retcon that it ended with. But I think the ship has sailed on that: the best I can hope for is for Multiversity Too to address it, probably as an aside.
    I think there's actually one possible thread left from that: Pre-COIE Supergirl disappeared at the end of Convergence. You could theoretically pull her back in if you wanted to age up Supergirl and give her more of her history back.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Also this raises a bigger question, if there's always been one Superman that being the merged Superdad and Nuperman then what the heck was that ghost of New 52 Superman in New Super Man #9?
    Well, new continuity. That probably didn't happen now. We'll see Wednesday and with what follows.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    I think there's actually one possible thread left from that: Pre-COIE Supergirl disappeared at the end of Convergence. You could theoretically pull her back in if you wanted to age up Supergirl and give her more of her history back.
    Or you could just age up Supergirl and give her more of her history back as a side effect of Wednesday's conclusion to Superman Reborn — much like Kon-El's and Steel's pre-Flashpoint origins could potentially be restored by this.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Because Jon was born before the split?

How I would treat it is that Jon was born ten years ago. The split was five years ago. Blanque or someone erased the world's memory of Superman and the double -- having amnesia -- re-debuted as Superman.
    yeah that's true enough. Judging from that splash page it didn't really address whether or not the split still happened, i really hope it did, because that would save alot of headaches. And personally i'm just not a big fan of merging timelines with the red/blue thing, did supes merge his life after Superman Reborn. no. And if this Supes remembers the Silver Age, which unnless DC is just trolling he will, than he would have remembered being split in half three times lol. just....uggghh

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    It does complicate things because everyone's gonna wonder what's canon and what's not, hopefully AC #977 can clear some of it up.
    well, whatever, that would be a hell of a lot of cleaning up to do....but hey maybe pigs will fly by next wednesday. (sigh)