Super Moderator

Default EXCLUSIVE: Aaron & Garney Introduce the "Men of Wrath"

Jason Aaron & Ron Garney tell CBR about their new Marvel Icon miniseries "Men of Wrath," which examines the violent family history of a hitman named Ira Rath.

Full article here.

It is great to see that the ICON imprint isn't dead. I hope Marvel tries to promote it more amongst its creators and not just the big names.

Count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    It is great to see that the ICON imprint isn't dead. I hope Marvel tries to promote it more amongst its creators and not just the big names.
    They'd have to change the imprint's conditions.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Surprised to see Aaron sticking with Marvel for this when he could write his check at any indie publisher as Hickman and Remender have done.

Also: while I'm not an Aaron fan by any measure, even I can recognize that Garney is always at his peak when they work together.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Yeah. I'm aware of that, but anything to keep creators closer to home sounds like a good idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Yeah. I'm aware of that, but anything to keep creators closer to home sounds like a good idea to me.
    Agree, but it seems that Marvel prefer to let them publish thing at Image (or even Vertigo) instead of taking risks.

Garney's cover kind of reminded me of Metal Gear.
    How about Alex?

I wonder if this was a Vertigo project at first since I remember Aaron saying that he had one of those in the works after Scalped.
    BB

Comic Shop Owner Alter Ego Comics's Avatar

Looks like a winner, especially for Marvel/Icon as they compete with Image and other publishers handling creator-owned content. From a fan's standpoint, I'm a big fan of their Weapon X run and any chance to see Garney draw interiors should be worth the cover price.

Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego Comics View Post
    Looks like a winner, especially for Marvel/Icon as they compete with Image and other publishers handling creator-owned content. From a fan's standpoint, I'm a big fan of their Weapon X run and any chance to see Garney draw interiors should be worth the cover price.

I've been waiting for this book to be announced since Scalped was winding down. I am so all over this. Jason Aaron is always auto-buy for me, but when it comes to creator-owned work, he has put out nothing but pure gold. Scalped, the Other Side, and Southern Bastards are all absolutely freaking amazing comics. Ron Garney teaming up with Aaron again is just the icing on the cake and a lovely surprise. They've always had really good chemistry. And yeah, their collaboration on Weapon X in particular was SO much fun.

Kind of a weird decision to go with Icon, but whatever. The biggest downside to his going with Icon is just that it likely means that the book will be $3.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Any idea on WHAT those conditions are exactly? I know one of the sticking points with Vertigo was that DC owns the media rights so any TV show or movie that would come about from a Vertigo book would be DC's and not the creator's. I think both Willingham and Wood have stated then when it came to any plans for Fables or DMZ films/TV shows, they would have absolutely no input unless the studio approached them of their own volition.

Meanwhile, looking at Icon, it sure seems like Millar has had a TON of input in the Kick-Ass and Secret Service movies. Same with Bendis and the Powers show.
    Last edited by King's_Gambit; 07-08-2014 at 04:27 PM.