Super Moderator

Default Hooked on a Preview: "Guardians" Sneak Preview Footage Is Deliriously Fun

17 minutes of footage from the hotly anticipated Marvel film shows off director James Gunn's unique style and quickly establishes the charm of the misfit space team.

Full article here.

Shut up and take my money.
    "Drewbacca?"

I'm sorry I was expecting shadayim

I got to see one of the 17 minute sneak peeks of this last night in IMAX 3-D. I hadn't previously planned on seeing it in 3D (usually avoid them because they don't add anything), but this one I definitely will be. I haven't seen 3D done in such an immersive, compelling fashion since Avatar.

Aside from that revelation, it was just a whole lot of fun. It was the Kyln/Prison sequence, which is kind of what I figured they'd show. Action, comedy, cool scenery and aliens. Rocket is kind of the centerpiece of the bit, but everyone had their moments and contributed quite a bit. I was surprised by Drax's performance, which I thought would be the weakest, because I'm not sure Dave Bautista is a good actor (haven't ever seen him in anything and I don't follow wrestling), but it worked. They seem to have made some changes to the character's origins and persona from the book a little bit, but it was interesting, and played off of his perhaps less nuanced acting ability than the others, and set him up as a believable and menacing straight-man to Peter Quill and Rocket.

Groot was also pretty fun and more nuanced than I'd have thought, considering they appear to be going with the merely "I am Groot" dialogue that became a sort of running joke in the latter part of Abnett and Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy run (he spoke more normally- if still referring to himself in the third person- in Giffen's Starlord mini-series which this movie seems largely based on, as well as in his prior appearances and even in portions of DnA's GotG).

Can't wait for this to come out!

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhudrew View Post
    Groot was also pretty fun and more nuanced than I'd have thought, considering they appear to be going with the merely "I am Groot" dialogue that became a sort of running joke in the latter part of Abnett and Lanning's Guardians of the Galaxy run (he spoke more normally- if still referring to himself in the third person- in Giffen's Starlord mini-series which this movie seems largely based on, as well as in his prior appearances and even in portions of DnA's GotG).

Can't wait for this to come out!
    I do hope that by the end of the film he gets to be able to speak in full sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I do hope that by the end of the film he gets to be able to speak in full sentences.
    I am Groot, I am Groot.

The soundtrack to this movie is fantastic.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?