Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Buying a comic

  1. #1
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    15

    Default Buying a comic

    I'm planning on starting a predator comic book collection. I wanted to start collecting the old stuff first. And I did a search on ebay and found the books I was looking for, but they weren't new. The seller says that the books are nm. Is nm a good condition to buy comics or should I buy comic books that are new?

  2. #2
    Mighty Member FluffySheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,022

    Default

    NM (Near Mint) is as new as you'll get for older comics or in fact, any comic. The thing to watch out for is that the seller is saying they are NM, but that might just be their opinion. I've bought comics from ebay before that the seller had graded as being Very Fine, but I wouldn't have even graded them as Fine. If they've been professionally graded as NM, then fair enough, but chances are if they've been professionally graded, they've also been sealed or "slabbed", which will mean you can't read them.
    Currently Pulling: Batman/The Shadow, JLA, Black Hammer, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers, ROM, Kill or Be Killed, Slots, Autumnlands, Babyteeth

    We came...we saw...we kicked it's ass!

  3. #3
    Moderator Balakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    4,883

    Default

    before you buy it you might want to think about grabbing the new Predator original comic series hc instead. You get a library edition sized hardcover with awesome paper and binding, just have to wait until June:
    https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Orig...l+comic+series

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member OldManBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    279

    Default

    While not relevant to buying single issues, fyi, there is a very nice Dark Horse hardcover collection of the early Predator issues coming out in June.

    https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Orig...words=Predator

    Edit: lol, Balakin beat me to it.

  5. #5
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Should I buy a comic that is an unread condition to be safe?

  6. #6
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    before you buy it you might want to think about grabbing the new Predator original comic series hc instead. You get a library edition sized hardcover with awesome paper and binding, just have to wait until June:
    https://www.amazon.com/Predator-Orig...l+comic+series

    Thanks
    Where can you recommend me to buy the old single issues from the predator, aliens and aliens vs predator?

  7. #7
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    NM (Near Mint) is as new as you'll get for older comics or in fact, any comic. The thing to watch out for is that the seller is saying they are NM, but that might just be their opinion. I've bought comics from ebay before that the seller had graded as being Very Fine, but I wouldn't have even graded them as Fine. If they've been professionally graded as NM, then fair enough, but chances are if they've been professionally graded, they've also been sealed or "slabbed", which will mean you can't read them.
    Thanks for your help. I don't want a "slabbed" graded comic book, probably in the future I will grade mine.

  8. #8
    Moderator Balakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    4,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oneal View Post
    Thanks
    Where can you recommend me to buy the old single issues from the predator, aliens and aliens vs predator?
    Unfortunately I can't help with that, I'm only into collected editions. I can understand for nostalgic reasons having the single issues but from a practical standpoint these hardcovers are just superior in every way. Not sure if they will do AvP but Aliens already has a volume 1 out and the second volume is coming out I think this month.

  9. #9
    I am the law Judge Dredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mega-City One
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oneal View Post
    Thanks
    Where can you recommend me to buy the old single issues from the predator, aliens and aliens vs predator?
    http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=...pubid=&PubRng=

    They have some and are good for single issues. Ebay is generally good and find most give honest grades to books, but you do run the risk of getting a beat up comic here and there.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oneal View Post
    I'm planning on starting a predator comic book collection. I wanted to start collecting the old stuff first. And I did a search on ebay and found the books I was looking for, but they weren't new. The seller says that the books are nm. Is nm a good condition to buy comics or should I buy comic books that are new?
    New means it just came out. New does not mean anything for condition. If you want older books, near mint is very good to buy.

    What the other people said however, buy the omnibus.

    The older predator comics being older are probably at a higher price. If you are a new collector, buying the higher value, may not really be worth it to you. Especially if you simply want to read them.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    ― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless


    "That's the problem with our opposition they keep thinking nobody could possibly be as stupid as we are. Fools 'em every time."
    ―Lando Calrissian[src]

  11. #11
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Ok. Thanks! Collecting omnibus editions is much cheaper, right?

  12. #12
    Incredible Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oneal View Post
    Ok. Thanks! Collecting omnibus editions is much cheaper, right?
    Not having done all of the math, but I am sure yes. Easier to find too. 1 Omnibus versus 50 comics which came out over the past 25 years.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    ― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless


    "That's the problem with our opposition they keep thinking nobody could possibly be as stupid as we are. Fools 'em every time."
    ―Lando Calrissian[src]

  13. #13
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Thanks for your help!

  14. #14
    Moderator Balakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dundee, Scotland
    Posts
    4,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oneal View Post
    Ok. Thanks! Collecting omnibus editions is much cheaper, right?
    usually yes, especially with Dark horse, their stuff is the best quality/price ratio you can get.
    Also a disclaimer: in case of Dark Horse the label "omnibus" is usually used for their chunky paperback collections that are smaller in size than a normal issue. The oversized hardcovers are usually called Library Editions but in case of Aliens and Predator they are called "The Original Comic Series" and no edition label. (In case of Tomb Raider they are called Archives).
    Here is the isbn for the first one: 9781506700786

  15. #15
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Thank you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •