Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member Deschaines' Brain's Avatar

Default What to read next?

Greetings!

Nice to meet you all.

To start off I just want to say that when it comes to both comics and forums I'm quite a newbie; I apologise if I commit any faux pas. I've had a brief peruse of the forum and it seems to be like a great collection of information that I'm looking forward to exploring.

I'm looking to get some advise on where to go with my comic book reading. As a fledgling the number of collected comics I've read number in single figures: Wolverine: Old Man Logan, Daredevil: Born Again, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: The Long Halloween, Watchmen (finished my second read-through of this today - fantastic!) and Walking Dead: Volumes 1 to 4. I have also had a read through a spider man collection (potentially Amazing Spider Man) but it was a long time ago and the main thing I can remember is that I thoroughly enjoyed the whole read; I'd love to discover where these were collected.

Now I've been speaking quite a lot to friends that avidly read comic books, as well as the fantastic staff members at OK Comics in Leeds, and I've found myself in a position in which I have a list longer than my arm and I really don't know where to go next. Recommendations so far include Saga, Y The Last Man, V for Vendetta, Marvels, Knightfall (and subsequent instalments), Death Note, Born (Punisher), Astonishing X-men etc.

The list really goes on.

Now I would love to pick all of these up but I'm limited mostly by finances. I can maybe spend 40-50 per month on these and I like to pick up a volume of Walking Dead each month (14ish).

Where would you recommend I go next? I figure I'm not going to find a better source of knowledge than you guys.

I'm looking forward to exploring more and hope I can add some value to the forum in turn.

Deschaines' Brain

Well, I for one, am passionate about the classics (alot of which it seems, you have already read). Since there is such a plethora of choices, I'd like to attempt to boil it down into some recognizable options for you.

If you want to continue your 'classic' collection, and simultaneously wish to expand you character list. For DC you could try All-Star Superman, or even Blackest Night (Green Lantern), or if you like The Long Halloween you could follow up with the rest of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's Batman Graphic novels.

^Related Marvel - (X-Men) House of M, The Dark Phoenix Saga, (Spiderman) One More Day, (Hulk) World War Hulk.

If your trying to get back into the swing of things - Maybe collected editions aren't doing it for you, thus you could turn to some really good ongoing series (obviously I recommend all the ones in my signature line below)

If you're in to iconic writers, you could pick up Alan Moore's Swamp Thing for an emotional ride, or even Frank Miller's Daredevil.

If you want "revolutionary" or political tales, I suggest Maus or March.

Want something like nothing you've read before but still a page turner? Saga, or Y the Last Man are both great.

I could really go on and on, but these are some suggestions also noted to be staples in the Graphic Novel world. If it all seems overwhelming, randomly pick one of my suggestions and start there. I doubt you'll be let down.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Superman All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, All-New Wolverine, Curse Words, Super Sons, God Country, X-men Gold, Teen Titans The Amazing Spider-Man

Waiting For:
    Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man

STOP Marvel events

Try the Hellboy & BRPD, as for a superhero book with a twist, i would recommend Invincible, written by the same guy who writes the Walking Dead (but it's far, far better, almost as if it's been written by someone else) then the usual suspects, Planetary, Sleeper

All those youve been recommended are great choices.

I'll echo Invincible and Hellboy too.

And if youre down for digital reading, Marvel Unlimited is a fantastic way to gain access to a whole heap of content for a low price.

Given that youre on a budget, for now id try and stick to stand alone creator owned works or creative team runs.

As a side note, what with you being in Leeds an' all; get yourself to Thought Bubble in September!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

For DC I'd go with Grant Morrison's Batman which is great for rereading and that's what I like in a comic. It also needs you to concentrate and work for the rewards. Y- The last man is great (prefer it over Saga), Superman American Alien, Flash by Geoff Johns and Gotham Central.

Didn't like Punisher Born but the rest of PunisherMax is a favourite run, Captain America by Ed Brubaker, Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis and Moon Knight by Charlie Huston.

for a Break from superheroes:

From Image I'd go with Kill or be Killed, Velvet, Lazarus, FadeOut and Revival.

Hellboy and BPRD (Hellboy spin- off)

This might be controversial but for me DeathNote sucks.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-12-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Astonishing Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Hi and welcome to the CBR forum.

The below are some of my favourites and some good starting points:

Daredevil by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson
    Daredevil Man Without Fear by Frank Miller & John Romita Junior
    Silver Surfer by Stan Lee & John Buscema
    Captain Britain by Jamie Delano, Alan Moore, Alan Davis & Paul Neary
    Uncanny X-Men by Chris Claremont, Dave Cockrum & John Byrne
    Wolverine Origin by Bill Jemas, Joe Quesada, Paul Jenkins & Andy Kubert
    Amazing Spider-Man by Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
    Amazing Spider-Man by Stan Lee & John Romita Snr
    Spider-Man by Roger Stern
    Captain America by Ed Brubaker
    Marvels by Kurt Busiek & Alex Ross

DC New Frontier by Darwin Cooke
    Superman For All Seasons by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
    Batman Year One by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson

Many of my Marvel choices can be purchased in Omnibus format. I know these may be quite expensive for you but if some extra cash falls into your hands, I'd definitely recommend the Daredevil Miller Omnibus, the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibuses, Spider-Man Roger Stern Omnibus and the Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 1.

Check the Good Deals thread for good prices. You can pick up some Omnibuses at pretty decent prices on the amazon.co.uk marketplace.

Btw, good to see a fellow Yorkshire man on the forum. I'm from Halifax originally but I'm currently residing in Poland.

Wow guys thanks for such great responses!

I really appreciate the advise!

I've had a quick glance at Invincible and I've gotta say, it looks like a great read. I've also got a mate that always talks about Hellboy so that's beginning to sound like a good option. Where is a good place to start with Hellboy (is that a dumb question? is it, like, Hellboy #1?).

I've also looked into Swamp Thing and Maus, both look very interesting. My list is growing but it's beginning to make the feel happy to have so much to explore.

I know Y the last man and Saga are from the same writer. I don't really think it would be viable for me to read both of these at once, so I was wondering: which would you recommend starting with? I know batnbreakfast says Y the last man, so leaning this way at the moment.

Dark Flux - I'd never even heard of Thought Bubble, looks really cool and I'm sure I'll head over! Gotta say though, I've tried reading comics electronically before and there was something about it that didn't sit well with me for some reason. I much prefer having a physical book in front of me.

Raffi Ol D'Arcy - thanks for that list. It looks really interesting after looking into a few of the titles and I'll be sure to see if I can scrounge together for an omnibus. Seems like a great way to get a feel for some more Marvel comics.

I'm glad to see a couple of you are local (or used to be local) to Leeds!

Thanks again for all the advise!

Deschaines' Brain

Personally I think Y is very overrated with a very weak ending, East of West hasn't really grabbed me so far but out of the two I would go with EoW (but to be honest there is so much better stuff out there they would both be well down my list)

Hellboy library edition vol 1 is the place to start.

Also, I forgot my other 2 favourites, The Goon and Chew, both have finished their runs, so there isn't too much to track down

Quote Originally Posted by Deschaines' Brain View Post
    Wow guys thanks for such great responses!

I really appreciate the advise!

I've had a quick glance at Invincible and I've gotta say, it looks like a great read. I've also got a mate that always talks about Hellboy so that's beginning to sound like a good option. Where is a good place to start with Hellboy (is that a dumb question? is it, like, Hellboy #1?).

I've also looked into Swamp Thing and Maus, both look very interesting. My list is growing but it's beginning to make the feel happy to have so much to explore.

I know Y the last man and Saga are from the same writer. I don't really think it would be viable for me to read both of these at once, so I was wondering: which would you recommend starting with? I know batnbreakfast says Y the last man, so leaning this way at the moment.

Dark Flux - I'd never even heard of Thought Bubble, looks really cool and I'm sure I'll head over! Gotta say though, I've tried reading comics electronically before and there was something about it that didn't sit well with me for some reason. I much prefer having a physical book in front of me.

Raffi Ol D'Arcy - thanks for that list. It looks really interesting after looking into a few of the titles and I'll be sure to see if I can scrounge together for an omnibus. Seems like a great way to get a feel for some more Marvel comics.

I'm glad to see a couple of you are local (or used to be local) to Leeds!

Thanks again for all the advise!

Deschaines' Brain
    Id go for Y the Last Man first, given that its complete whereas Saga is still ongoing. (And the writer, Brian K Vaughn is at TB in september so a good opportunity there...)

Hellboy, unlike say Spider-man or Batman is not an ongoing series in the traditional sense but comprises of an ongoing series of mini-series. You can basically start right at the beginning and work your way through, or else just start at the beginning of any mini series.

Whilst i understand your reservations about reading digital, (fyi it works much better on a tablet as opposed to a desktop), youd be paying $10 a month for access to literally thousands of issues so if nothing else its a great way to sample stuff.
    Im still a huge collector of trades and HCs for my shelf but my monthly pull list is now 80% digital due to convenience and storage.

If you liked Punisher Born then I would highly recommend Punisher Max by Ennis and omni by Aaron. Best run in comics ever, and you can get chunky trades now.

Being from the UK have you read some of the great comics from Battle and 2000 AD? Charley's War is a great series about WW1 from Battle. Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Nemesis, Slaine, Dan Dare, Ro-Busters, Robo Hunter, Ballad of Hal Jones, ABC Warriors, Button Man, Rat Pack, Johnny Red. Tons of great work from some the biggest names in UK comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Being from the UK have you read some of the great comics from Battle and 2000 AD? Charley's War is a great series about WW1 from Battle. Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Nemesis, Slaine, Dan Dare, Ro-Busters, Robo Hunter, Ballad of Hal Jones, ABC Warriors, Button Man, Rat Pack, Johnny Red. Tons of great work from some the biggest names in UK comics.
    I'd second that, one of the best books in market. Love 2000 AD, it's my favorite publisher, they don't give a crap about PC and all his crap, those guys always try some crazy ideas and bring them to readers. Just read Slaine: I thought it would have been simple story about barbarian, full of guts and glory, and that's definitely there, but it's also book about feminism and not in this PC way which I didn't expect at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    I'd second that, one of the best books in market. Love 2000 AD, it's my favorite publisher, they don't give a crap about PC and all his crap, those guys always try some crazy ideas and bring them to readers. Just read Slaine: I thought it would have been simple story about barbarian, full of guts and glory, and that's definitely there, but it's also book about feminism and not in this PC way which I didn't expect at all.
    while I absolutely agree with Slaine the Horned god, it is an amazing book, I would be careful, 2000AD is VERY different than American comics. Much much crazier and satirical.
    If you are new I think Y the last man is perfect. Even if some say it's overrated it's a very engaging read and most people seem to love it.

Also no one mentioned it yet but I think Locke & KEy is a great and very accessible series, one of my absolute favourite I would recommend to literally anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    while I absolutely agree with Slaine the Horned god, it is an amazing book, I would be careful, 2000AD is VERY different than American comics. Much much crazier and satirical.
    If you are new I think Y the last man is perfect. Even if some say it's overrated it's a very engaging read and most people seem to love it.

Also no one mentioned it yet but I think Locke & KEy is a great and very accessible series, one of my absolute favourite I would recommend to literally anyone.
    Y is an amazing read well worth checking it out. Recently grabbed some Locke and Key really looking forward to reading it. Good points on 2000 AD it is very different than the state side comics, I personally lean more to enjoying that style over the American style I feel 2000 AD books have more fun in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post

I have a friend who picks up 2000 AD who warned me of something very similar. I think there's a chance that I am used to American comics, but I may see if I can borrow a few issues off of him to check out!

I think Y the last man is looking like a good next move. I think I'll probably pick this up next.

My birthday is coming up and I think my girlfriend is going to pick me up a copy of V for Vendetta which I'm really excited to read. I had a peruse around OK Comics yesterday and couldn't help but be drawn to Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Everything about it looks fascinating, so I think this will probably be close to the top of my 'to-buy' list!

I really appreciate the help guys, I feel like I'm getting a much better grasp of what sort of things are out there.