Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 234
  1. #61
    Veteran Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    The whole point of this nottareboot was to bring her back to basics and set the stage for the foreseeable future, so I would guess it would be pretty stupid of the OTB to allow someone to turn everything on it's head again and start reinventing these characters....

    Now, use this foundation and move forward with new stories and new interpretations of OTHER older characters, or create new ones.... but this should be her basic continuity going forth...


    Right? JMS and Azzarello both tried the whole "turn everything on its head" approach with mixed results. Rucka's setting is filled with the basic building blocks remixed for the current times. I hope DC is smart enough to build upon things from here instead of another drastic reboot like the ones previous to this run.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Justice League of America, Titans, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

  2. #62
    Wonder Moderator Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Don't change a darned thing.

    The title desperately needs stability in its supporting cast and world building.

    Feel free to add or tweak things, but no more 'I don't like what that writer did so I'm going to ditch it in favor of my own.' Shared universes shouldn't look like that.

    You can always tweak things or build on them. For example:

    - Don't like the gods look? That's fine. The gods, including Circe, are whimsical and take different appearances depending upon the situation. Just acknowledge that in the book rather than have Circe go from sexy sorceress to business goddess

    - Think Rucka painted a too-perfect picture of the Amazons? Do like other writers have done - add some bad apples in the bunch. Don't change the overall 'vibe' of Themyscira; doing so, in my opinion, completely alters Diana and her origin. Unlike other heroes, she wasn't born of tragedy - her mother didn't die, her parents weren't murdered, her father didn't crash his plane, her home wasn't destroyed. This is a woman who left Paradise to go out in the world and do the right thing, but just because it was called Paradise Island at the start doesn't mean it's perfect - it's just pretty darned awesome

    - What Gail did with Diana's backstory was, in my opinion, the perfect way to build on what was. The clay origin didn't change, she just added to the nature of the sculpting. The loving community of sisters didn't change, she just added the Circle who did bad things for the right reasons.

    DC needs to stop letting every new writer throw what came before into the trash.

  3. #63
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Don't change a darned thing.

    The title desperately needs stability in its supporting cast and world building.

    Feel free to add or tweak things, but no more 'I don't like what that writer did so I'm going to ditch it in favor of my own.' Shared universes shouldn't look like that.

    You can always tweak things or build on them...
    I agree with all of what she just said, ..except that bit about Circe.

    The WW comic finally has a supporting cast, again - Etta, Steve and Ferdinand. It's got the foundations of a top-drawer, first-class rogues gallery - I can actually imagine them, headlining stories in other comics - and the creative team should absolutely build on that, ..instead of chucking it all out (again) to powder some celeb writer's ego. Now, all it needs is a few stars, and I think we should give Rucka's 'evil, female Doctor Who' version of Circe, with her Tardis-like lair of weird junk, a chance...

    Maybe, her own comic.

    About that star business...I'd like to see the WW comic produce a Darkseid-class super-villain, who is easily plugged into stories in other comics, like JL, Superman and the rest, but, truthfully don't see it happening. I think he or she will have to straddle the fence on sci-fi and fantasy genres, as with the Golden Age Mars and Duke of Deception, and that's fine. We had a chance, with First Born, but blew it.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-17-2017 at 06:22 AM.
    Wonder Boy, Prince of the Amazons, saves Paradise Island from the techno-tyranny of Roboseidon in... WONDER BOY LIVES

  4. #64
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I agree with all of what she just said, ..except that bit about Circe.

    The WW comic finally has a supporting cast, again - Etta, Steve and Ferdinand. It's got the foundations of a top-drawer, first-class rogues gallery - I can actually imagine them, headlining stories in other comics - and the creative team should absolutely build on that, ..instead of chucking it all out (again) to powder some celeb writer's ego. Now, all it needs is a few stars, and I think we should give Rucka's 'evil, female Doctor Who' version of Circe, with her Tardis-like lair of weird junk, a chance...
    Hmmm...I'm gonna say that this more hedonistic approach actually is very consistent to her depiction in The Odyssey. And I like an approach that takes her away from the standard super villain tropes...

  5. #65
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Hmmm...I'm gonna say that this more hedonistic approach actually is very consistent to her depiction in The Odyssey. And I like an approach that takes her away from the standard super villain tropes...
    She doesn't seem all that different from a standard super villain.

  6. #66
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    The title desperately needs stability in its supporting cast and world building.
    I 100% agree. The things I've listed to change in my previous post are things that could be easily tweaked. The gods changing forms isn't unusual. Doctor Poison being fleshed out as a scientist wouldn't be hard to incorporate. Etta Candy being a bit more fun could happen pretty organically.

    I think the biggest crime a writer could do is come on the book and completely shift everything about it (a la JMS or Azz).

  7. #67
    Veteran Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,963

    Default

    I hope Diana doesn't go back to Eddie. I also wonder if DC will be a little tight and tell writers not to make a new foundation but work on what's already there
    Please sign this so we can at least show DC we want Legend of Wonder Woman part 2.

    https://www.change.org/p/comic-fans-...part-2-back-on

  8. #68
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post

    I think the biggest crime a writer could do is come on the book and completely shift everything about it (a la JMS or Azz).
    And Rucka.

  9. #69
    Veteran Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Don't change a darned thing.

    The title desperately needs stability in its supporting cast and world building.

    Feel free to add or tweak things, but no more 'I don't like what that writer did so I'm going to ditch it in favor of my own.' Shared universes shouldn't look like that.

    You can always tweak things or build on them. For example:

    - Don't like the gods look? That's fine. The gods, including Circe, are whimsical and take different appearances depending upon the situation. Just acknowledge that in the book rather than have Circe go from sexy sorceress to business goddess

    - Think Rucka painted a too-perfect picture of the Amazons? Do like other writers have done - add some bad apples in the bunch. Don't change the overall 'vibe' of Themyscira; doing so, in my opinion, completely alters Diana and her origin. Unlike other heroes, she wasn't born of tragedy - her mother didn't die, her parents weren't murdered, her father didn't crash his plane, her home wasn't destroyed. This is a woman who left Paradise to go out in the world and do the right thing, but just because it was called Paradise Island at the start doesn't mean it's perfect - it's just pretty darned awesome

    - What Gail did with Diana's backstory was, in my opinion, the perfect way to build on what was. The clay origin didn't change, she just added to the nature of the sculpting. The loving community of sisters didn't change, she just added the Circle who did bad things for the right reasons.

    DC needs to stop letting every new writer throw what came before into the trash.

    I agree that Simone approached continuity in a great way. Her arc "The Circle" is easily my favorite story from her run and one of my top 10 WW stories ever.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Justice League of America, Titans, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

  10. #70
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I agree that Simone approached continuity in a great way. Her arc "The Circle" is easily my favorite story from her run and one of my top 10 WW stories ever.
    Continuity-wise the Circle is like a square peg in a round hole though, because it doesn't take into consideration that Paradise Island had been moved and destroyed several times between Diana leaving the island and up to the point of their release.

  11. #71
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    And Rucka.
    I don't think it's quite the same. Azzarello and JMS had "bold new directions" for Wonder Woman. Rucka was bringing it back to the classic roots of the series.

  12. #72
    Veteran Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,963

    Default

    Rucka's run sold better and well for a Wonder Woman run than JMS or Azz. Being Diana back to he roots works well. However , it's also how far one should change her and mythos ever now and then. I mean I would love to see the sco-fi aspects more for Diana return
    Please sign this so we can at least show DC we want Legend of Wonder Woman part 2.

    https://www.change.org/p/comic-fans-...part-2-back-on

  13. #73
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't think it's quite the same. Azzarello and JMS had "bold new directions" for Wonder Woman. Rucka was bringing it back to the classic roots of the series.
    But he is doing it in exactly the same way as the others. Like you have to consider that until Rucka invented her, brunette Hippolyta and her Amazons technically didn't exist, so he did basically do the 'bold new direction' as well.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 04-17-2017 at 11:05 AM.

  14. #74
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    But he is doing it in exactly the same way as the others. Like you have to consider that until Rucka invented her, brunette Hippolyta and her Amazons technically didn't exist, so he did basically do the 'bold new direction' as well.
    Rucka didn't invent brunette Hyppolyta; true to the title "Rebirth," he brought her back. Sure, there's a new coat of paint and some details have changed, but this is not really a "bold, new direction." It's more akin to New Coke going back to Classic.

  15. #75
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Rucka didn't invent brunette Hyppolyta; true to the title "Rebirth," he brought her back. Sure, there's a new coat of paint and some details have changed, but this is not really a "bold, new direction." It's more akin to New Coke going back to Classic.
    No, he invented her, because Flashpoint wiped out every trace of her existence beforehand and replaced her with the blond version. Superman and Wally West came through time and space to be here now, Rucka's idea is that this Hippolyta has been here all along despite no mention of her before his run exists.

    Speaking of Rebirth... it's not a very good argument compared to Flashpoint. Since Flashpoint was a multiversal event that changed everything, Rebirth however was Wally West coming through the Speedforce and tweaking a handful of characters... and Wonder Woman wasn't one of them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •