Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default One More Day the worst story?

How and why was this story hated by all Spider-Man fans. What did this storyline do to become one of the worst in the series?.

Is it really that bad?.

Peter Parker makes a deal with the devil to erase his marriage to save his aunt with a hint of a loophole so that he can actually get one over on the devil. Which eventually turns out to be nothing.

Yes, it was pretty bad.
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    ― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

"That's the problem with our opposition they keep thinking nobody could possibly be as stupid as we are. Fools 'em every time."
    ―Lando Calrissian[src]

Lightbulb

While it is certainly one of the worse, I think the honor of worst goes to another little retcon gem which will remain nameless.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-14-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    "You'll never learn to fly now 'til you're standing at the cliff."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    While it is certainly one of the worse, I think the honor of worst goes to another little retcon gem which will remain nameless.
    I know this one!

The time we found out Ironman was secretly a mole for Kang his entire career, ended up going crazy, and had to be replaced by an alternate reality teenage version of himself!

Some comic stories are just bad because they're just cheesy or stupid.

But OMD is actively, and egregiously, the worst story in Marvel Comics history.
    "On the Internet, inside information is currency, and there will always be counterfeiters among us." - J. Michael Straczynski

Cocaine and Chainsaws (NSFW)

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post

I hate OMD actively.

But Marvel published a story where Carol Danvers is impregnated by a man she had no memories of being with and ends up giving birth to a baby who quickly grows up into said man who impregnated her. He whisks her away with the Avengers blessings after it was made clear she was not in full control of her actions.

Writers never apologize for stories. Editors never apologize for stories.

Jim Shooter apologized for this story.

http://jimshooter.com/2011/12/avengers-200.html/

Avengers #200, colloquially known as "The Rape of Ms. Marvel," is one of the worst things Marvel has ever published.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post

OMD and OMIT tied for best pieces of crap ever IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    OMD and OMIT tied for best pieces of crap ever IMHO!
    I would add one more -piece-to that list.. One which I'll refrain from mentioning now (for reasons that all who know that non-sensical story will understand).

Sins Past is number one on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sins Past is number one on my list.
    That name was supposed to never be mentioned ever again.. sigh

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    That name was supposed to never be mentioned ever again.. sigh
    Damn right, now someone went and did it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I hate OMD actively.

But Marvel published a story where Carol Danvers is impregnated by a man she had no memories of being with and ends up giving birth to a baby who quickly grows up into said man who impregnated her. He whisks her away with the Avengers blessings after it was made clear she was not in full control of her actions.

Writers never apologize for stories. Editors never apologize for stories.

Jim Shooter apologized for this story.

http://jimshooter.com/2011/12/avengers-200.html/

Avengers #200, colloquially known as "The Rape of Ms. Marvel," is one of the worst things Marvel has ever published.
    Okay, you win. That's probably the one story that beats Teena Ironman.

Of course we also have all of the Chuck Austen X-men run. That was horrible. We find out that demons and hell are actually based on a group Satanic looking mutants. One of them travels to this reality so he can sire a son that will allow him to travel to this reality. Then there was the disintegration communion wafers...

Oooh! How about Dr. Doom's secret Lord and Master the Marquis of Death?

OMD not only removed a fan favorite and VERY successful romantic paring of Peter and Mary Jane Parker, but also cemented them as true loves, destined to be. It also set up the expectation that they are the end-game romance.

It's ironic that the book that was supposed to open up Spider-Man to a single life filled with new romantic possibilities, also created a narrative where future romances were percived to be less important and expected to fail.

I'm not sure why Marvel thinks Spider-Man's future romantic endeavours is going to be received so well by fans given the history here. Perhaps one day future readers won't care enough about Peter and MJ so that it will work, but is that really what Marvel wants? For people not to care about them anymore?
    Last edited by Vortex85; 04-14-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Yeah, all of the above....plus I hate that cutesy title, "One More Day".

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    OMD not only removed a fan favorite and VERY successful romantic paring of Peter and Mary Jane Parker, but also cemented them as true loves, destined to be. It also set up the expectation that they are the end-game romance.

It's ironic that the book that was supposed to open up Spider-Man to a single life filled with new romantic possibilities, also created a narrative where future romances were percived to be less important and expected to fail....
    A great point. I was always perplexed by this. Of course, one could argue it was just another WTH moment in a story riddled with such moments. However, besides the overall story implcations of OMD I also find the poor plot itself offensive.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-14-2017 at 08:10 PM.