Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

One More Day singlehandedly killed my dedication as a fan of Spider-Man. Haven't touched anything with the word "Spider" in the title ever since.

It may not be the very worst story in Marvel history. But it instantly turned one fan into a non-fan. So it's pretty bad.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

One more day is up there but I still think storylines like the controversial avengers 200/rape of Ms.marvel, spider man sins past/Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborn affair, grant morrisons new X-men Planet X arc where it's revealed that xorn is actually magneto and he basically puts half of New York city's huamn poultion into death camps, and avengers/X-men the house of m event for nearly destroying and ruining scarlet witch's character and civil war ii because as much as don't think it's the worst storyline from marvel ever per-say? it did a lot of damage to Carol Danvers/captain marvel as a character in damaging her image among readers it's ironic really that bendis wrote both the house of m and civil war ii both being stories that really fucked up and damaged the image of Wanda for the house of m and Carol for civil war ii.

For some reason I don't think avx, the first civil war, secret invasion, and Ivx were as bad as people think of them as axis I'm kinda undecided about and fear itself I think is underrated.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 04-14-2017 at 08:54 PM.

I'd say Civil War 1 was worse than 2. The first Civil War damaged everybody and the whole marvel universe. We still haven't completely recovered from that schlock.

AvsX was kinda dumb, but not insultingly dumb like these other ones.

iMan 42s

OMD is a bad story, nothing changes that.

I like to view bad stories like the Star Wars prequels. Someone clearly enjoyed them, and if you didn't that's fine because there is something in them to be enjoyed even if for the wrong reasons. OMD has none of that. OMD has Peter bitching for most of the story and doing nothing until Mephisto of all people offers him a solution, when I don't know maybe ANYBODY ELSE could have solved this. But you know, a bullet wound or bringing someone back from the dead is just unheard of in the Marvel universe so nobody (including Doctor Doom of all people) can fix this.

Is it the worst story ever written? No, as there are comics that are objectively worse but OMD is up there with the worst decisions the comics have ever made.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

The thing with One More Day that makes it fascinating is that it's not really a story, it's a tool. Its whole purpose is just to get rid of the marriage, just so happens "making a deal with the devil" turned out to be the answer. This wasn't an idea J. Michael Straczynski had he thought would be a good, this is something Joe Quesada told him he had to do.

Also, I'm pretty sure no one who's worked on the 'story' has gone on record defending it, they all know this is bad. This isn't a case with something like the first Civil War, which is really bad, but most of the people involved still stand behind it being "good". It exists and is terrible, but to me, there's enough good Spider-Man stuff that I can just completely ignore it.

Although I did think, if everything after OMD, from Brand New Day till now stayed the same, and OMD instead was just them splitting up from the marriage and had nothing to do with Mephisto, would that make any difference?
    Current Reading List: Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic Universe, Batman/TMNT Adventures, Spider-Gwen, Unbelievable Gwenpool, Hawkeye, Hulk, U.S.Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, Secret Empire, Secret Warriors, I Am Groot
    Future: Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Edge Of Venomverse
    DC: Batman, The Flash, Green Lanterns, Batgirl, Superman, Suicide Squad

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sins Past is number one on my list.
    Sins Past, OMD, are both sides of the same coin to me anyways. Both are stupid ideas that shouldn't have been around. If JMS account of sins past was true, then he doesn't sound too bright for thinking he could make a story with the assumption that he could get approval to retcon it later. OMD is stupid because I will admit that even if they just did a manual breakup or whatnot, that just makes more freakin' sense.

Astonishing Member

One More Day is amazingly bad.

It only exists to retcon away a well developed and well-liked pairing. So it's not really a story that was created organically, it's an editorial mandate given the shape of a story.

It ends a controversial but overall popular run on the main Spider-man comic in a very bad taste.

It doesn't make any sense from a story stand point that guys like Dr. Doom, Dr. Strange and Elixir can't heal May's injury considering the stuff those characters have pulled off. So the deal with Mephisto just feels forced.

There's nothing enjoyable or entertaing about the story. It's just frustrating to read.

But it's probably not the worst story ever. There have been lots of bad stuff published before and after. Ivs.X for example, that one is pretty terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Although I did think, if everything after OMD, from Brand New Day till now stayed the same, and OMD instead was just them splitting up from the marriage and had nothing to do with Mephisto, would that make any difference?
    Depends. Do you object to OMD only because of how it broke the Parkers up and would've been otherwise okay with a normal separation or divorce, or do you object to them not being presented as a couple period. For the former, that would probably have worked, for the latter there's no "we're going to make Spider-Man single again" scenario that would have flown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I hate OMD actively.

But Marvel published a story where Carol Danvers is impregnated by a man she had no memories of being with and ends up giving birth to a baby who quickly grows up into said man who impregnated her. He whisks her away with the Avengers blessings after it was made clear she was not in full control of her actions.

Writers never apologize for stories. Editors never apologize for stories.

Jim Shooter apologized for this story.

http://jimshooter.com/2011/12/avengers-200.html/

Avengers #200, colloquially known as "The Rape of Ms. Marvel," is one of the worst things Marvel has ever published.
    It may be the worst, period. That story was insanely bad on every level; the rape of MM, while horrendous, wasn't the only bad thing about the story, though it was of course the low point. Nearly everything else was just flat-out bad in the story and it was made worse by the fact this was a big anniversary issue for one of Marvel's flagship titles. It's a wonder they haven't removed it from digital circulation at this point.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'd say Civil War 1 was worse than 2. The first Civil War damaged everybody and the whole marvel universe. We still haven't completely recovered from that schlock.

AvsX was kinda dumb, but not insultingly dumb like these other ones.

Civil War led up to One More Day because that's where he did the stupid unmasking, and given how stupid the unmasking was in the first place given his history, that's where I left until he got his secret identity back. Never figured that the casualty would be the marriage, but at least I dodged OMD.

OMD is really bad. And I mean God awful. It's easily one of the worst Spider-man stories. The art was ugly, the characterization for Peter was ugly, and the fact that MJ was barely in the damn thing except to be a scapegoat for the anticipated backlash was ugly.

However was it the worst Marvel story ever? Nah. That honor goes to the story where Carol Danvers gets raped and impregnated by her obsessive time traveling son/husband man with Earth's mightiest heroes blessing. EDIT: what Kevinroc said.

OMD might make a top ten list though.

Sins Past was bad for Gwen (and to a lesser extent Norman). OMD was bad for Peter (and his love life). OMIT was bad for MJ (and Peter's already fragile dignity).

[deleted.]
    Last edited by xpyred; 04-16-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Mighty Member

An opinion piece on this very site argued Superior Spider-Man was worse.

I think the message in that was that bad stories are considered as such because on top of execution, they just don't achieve anything of significant note.

OMD never really achieved its mission either, as even now ten years on you still get marriage stories in more than one canon.

iMan 42s

Part of what bothers me about OMD was that a scapegoat existed in Secret Invasion which wasn't too long afterwards.

Say that the Aunt May that was shot was a skrull, or that a Skrull Spider-man was around who also happened to mimic Peter Parker so then the identity reveal can be easily thrown under the bus. Who revealed himself to the public could very well have been a Skrull thus discrediting the idea of Peter being Spider-man or that nobody has a clear idea. Even proving Peter isn't Spider-man could've gone back to the totem stuff, where the powers came from magic and it would be weird enough that somebody might just throw out that proposed origin similarly to what the comics actually did. Identity reset, Aunt May is alive, and then for splitting up Peter and Mary Jane they don't know which one is a skrull considering how long the Skrulls have been on Earth and they both split up for awhile to get the story straight and come back when things clear up. You still get the option for them coming back and it makes an event relevant to the comics that works more organically than Mephisto of all people would help and somehow getting duped by a fashion model.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    OMD not only removed a fan favorite and VERY successful romantic paring of Peter and Mary Jane Parker, but also cemented them as true loves, destined to be. It also set up the expectation that they are the end-game romance.

It's ironic that the book that was supposed to open up Spider-Man to a single life filled with new romantic possibilities, also created a narrative where future romances were percived to be less important and expected to fail.

I'm not sure why Marvel thinks Spider-Man's future romantic endeavours is going to be received so well by fans given the history here. Perhaps one day future readers won't care enough about Peter and MJ so that it will work, but is that really what Marvel wants? For people not to care about them anymore?
    It was a poor choice, but I think the whole soul mates thing was done to honor or appease fans of the marriage; setting it up as the relationship, even if they were going to write about others now. I'm just not sure how far ahead they were thinking with that. It was always going to agitate a significant segment of readers unnecessarily. Better to take away the grapes and water outright since the story is never going to end.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    To this very day, i still do not understand the hate Morrison's take on Magneto gets.
    I'm still confused as to how the hell Magneto faked Xorn's powers. Been while since I read that stuff, so maybe I missed something. But the man had a friggin' star in his head or something if I recall. How the hell is that Magneto?