Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    A lot of what I've enjoyed over the last ten or twenty years has usually involved her dead or not used all that much. She isn't missed.

She was also the cause of OMD. She's cancer to this franchise.
    Her character is so ineffective now..I wish Marvel had just let her stay dead after issue # 400.There has been little to no character growth for her at all...especially since BND started. All she seems to do now is stand around and wait for Peter to produce grandchildren for her. I have also come to see her as a Black Widow type character who is death to anyone she becomes romantically involved with {lol}.Yeah...hooking up with Aunt May is a death sentence!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Obviously you've outlived your purpose too.
    This is actually a question I've been asking myself a lot lately. Though I tend to phrase it as "usefulness."

However, I am not part of a creative narrative plotline, so the comparison doesn't really work.
    Yes, it's still true. In my opinion is implied in every post. Please remember that.

I think readers would be less eager to have Aunt May killed off if Peter had a kid. It would make May useful to the narrative (as a babysitter and source for advice on parenting) in a way that's clear to readers to make up for all the times she causes Peter trouble.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I don't care about her one way or the other. Aunt May's always just been a background character as far as I'm concerned. Jameson, Norman, Gwen, Harry, MJ, Otto, exact are all far more important and interesting characters.
    "You'll never learn to fly now 'til you're standing at the cliff."

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

I think the whole reason why Aunt May stopped dying fake deaths is that the guys at Marvel figured Aunt May's fake deaths were an old joke running stale. But for me, the older times when Aunt May gave me chuckles because it gave me a relief that I wasn't the only guy who got annoyed at how much my mother or mother figure cares about me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think readers would be less eager to have Aunt May killed off if Peter had a kid. It would make May useful to the narrative (as a babysitter and source for advice on parenting) in a way that's clear to readers to make up for all the times she causes Peter trouble.
    But we can't have Peter having a kid...it ages the character! Nor can we have Peter getting in a relationship that even allows that possibility because it leads to "marriage" and "commitment"...which age the character! He has to stay young and dumb and full of ___. I think you get my drift right?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    But we can't have Peter having a kid...it ages the character! Nor can we have Peter getting in a relationship that even allows that possibility because it leads to "marriage" and "commitment"...which age the character! He has to stay young and dumb and full of ___. I think you get my drift right?
    Only in 616 Universe is he not allowed to age.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Only in 616 Universe is he not allowed to age.
    And that is why Marvel looks stupid...allowing marriage,commitment and kids with Peter in a alternate universe but not in the 616 looks hypocritical and just plain nonsensical!

And that is why Marvel looks stupid...allowing marriage,commitment and kids with Peter in a alternate universe but not in the 616 looks hypocritical and just plain nonsensical!
    Not really, it's all fiction and you have various options (alternate universes) or go try something totally different entirely, like I did with sci-fi novels from my local library when I didn't like anything in Spider-Man... multiple times over. I am actually thankful at marvel for the stuff I despised with them because hey, Bourne novels, Dune novels, and Earthsea were all good material to read when I didn't like what Marvel had put out. If something is such an obssession or hurt when it's fiction, that's really your problem.
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 04-15-2017 at 07:54 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Not really, it's all fiction and you have various options (alternate universes) or go try something totally different entirely, like I did with sci-fi novels from my local library when I didn't like anything in Spider-Man... multiple times over. I am actually thankful at marvel for the stuff I despised with them because hey, Bourne novels, Dune novels, and Earthsea were all good material to read when I didn't like what Marvel had put out. If something is such an obssession or hurt when it's fiction, that's really your problem.
    No...it isn't just my problem....many,many others have the very same problem and have made it known for some time now. When I don't like something...I don't buy it, but that doesn't mean I have to accept a beloved character who has been turned into a carbon copy of its former self.

No...it isn't just my problem....many,many others have the very same problem and have made it known for some time now. When I don't like something...I don't buy it, but that doesn't mean I have to accept a beloved character who has been turned into a carbon copy of its former self.
    Then find out how Paul Atreides, Jack Ryan, Luke Cage, Matt Murdock, etc. are different or better characters than he is. The ultimate route of fiction is that there's other fiction out there, there's other characters out there at Marvel even. I am saying this as someone who has been pissed off enough to stop from Spider-Man entirely, multiple times. I didn't agree with what they were doing with Spider-Man at the time so I stopped buying new stuff and tried some other material entirely. The alternatives were getting all that cool Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist all the way to reading out the sci-fi novels in the library. Yeah, Marvel pissed me off, yeah, I took breaks from reading their materials altogether for a time to go explore elsewhere in fiction. I am still pissed somewhat the OMD happened, but I do thank Marvel for getting me pissed so that I explored other fiction out there during those periods where I didn't bother with their books.
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 04-15-2017 at 08:39 PM.

When I don't like something...I don't buy it, but that doesn't mean I have to accept a beloved character who has been turned into a carbon copy of its former self.
    Yes. You do have to accept it. Because it happened. And it's not going to change. No amount of crying on the internet will change that.

You can continue posting about something you don't like, haven't read, and don't buy all the while annoying the man many many of us that DO enjoy Spider-man still or you can actually go out and find something you enjoy.

Not being able to accept what happened year ago has already happened and people have moved on isn't a thing to be proud of.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Yes. You do have to accept it. Because it happened. And it's not going to change. No amount of crying on the internet will change that.

You can continue posting about something you don't like, haven't read, and don't buy all the while annoying the man many many of us that DO enjoy Spider-man still or you can actually go out and find something you enjoy.

Not being able to accept what happened year ago has already happened and people have moved on isn't a thing to be proud of.
    Change is inevitable...maintaining the stance that Peter will always stay single with no real progression to his character and that nothing will ever change in the comics is kind of naive.Comic books are all about change my friend...and what was once changed can just as easily be unchanged.Just look at DC's Rebirth for a current example! The upcoming Make Mine Marvel initiative also suggests such change to Peter's life and his world.

Change is inevitable...maintaining the stance that Peter will always stay single with no real progression to his character and that nothing will ever change in the comics is kind of naive.
    And saying that a certain thing will happen when the company has spent decades trying to make it go away and an employee of the company comes out and tells you that it will never happen in a million years is deluded.

Don't get me wrong. Things do change. Sometimes what people think is nearly impossible does happen. But if somebody tells you that something is impossible, there's no sense complaining when it doesn't happen. Sure, you can be surprised and happy when it does, just don't count on it.

I'm always a bit bewildered by the anti-Aunt May sentiment. Unless you were reading ASM exclusively in the 1970's, she hasn't had a heart attack in 40 years and hasn't played the "oh dear, Peter, wear your galoshes today" doting old biddy in nearly as long. She has been written, slowly but surely, to be a bit younger and a lot more independent. This is a character who formed a Grey Panthers chapter, turned her home into a boarding house for Seniors and most recently been active with PI and the Uncle Ben foundation. She has also been gradually moved to the background of the book, often not appearing for very long stretches. So unless this is pure ageism, I don't accept the accusation that she is "old and in the way". I am not saying she is my favorite character but she is Peter's only known living relative, his mother figure and a daily reminder of why he does what he does as a hero. So....why all the hate?
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...