Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I'm always a bit bewildered by the anti-Aunt May sentiment. Unless you were reading ASM exclusively in the 1970's, she hasn't had a heart attack in 40 years and hasn't played the "oh dear, Peter, wear your galoshes today" doting old biddy in nearly as long. She has been written, slowly but surely, to be a bit younger and a lot more independent. This is a character who formed a Grey Panthers chapter, turned her home into a boarding house for Seniors and most recently been active with PI and the Uncle Ben foundation. She has also been gradually moved to the background of the book, often not appearing for very long stretches. So unless this is pure ageism, I don't accept the accusation that she is "old and in the way". I am not saying she is my favorite character but she is Peter's only known living relative, his mother figure and a daily reminder of why he does what he does as a hero. So....why all the hate?
    She gets it for being associated with OMD. It would be tough to let her die with a dead baby aND a line of dead friends.
    Last edited by suemorphplus209; 04-16-2017 at 05:25 AM.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    She gets it for being associated with OMD. It would be tough to let her die with a dead baby aND a line of dead friends.
    I think that's part of it but.....the hate for her started long before OMD and, if one is going to hate on a fictional character anyway, it shouldn't be one who basically was choosing to die recognizing that she had a good long life and one that I am sure would not have approved of the decision (or "deal") that Peter and MJ made).
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    But we can't have Peter having a kid...it ages the character! Nor can we have Peter getting in a relationship that even allows that possibility because it leads to "marriage" and "commitment"...which age the character! He has to stay young and dumb and full of ___. I think you get my drift right?
    You're saying sarcastically much of what I believe. I don't think giving Peter a kid in order to make Aunt May slightly more popular is a worthwhile tradeoff.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    So what's with all the hate especially from CBR when it comes to Aunt May?

So Peter is allowed to have fun, screw around with girls that give him trouble but Aunt May can't have a relationship with a normal guy while writers force Aunt May to get involved with psychos like Vulture and Octavius?
    To me, classic Aunt May isn't even a character. She's a plot device to make Peter's life suck more. Oh noes, I can't do this or that and have to keep everything a secret or the old bat might suddenly keel over dead.

And she doesn't even look like his aunt. She looks like his great-grandmother or something.

I do like the versions of Aunt May that got elevated to three-dimensional characters a lot though, like Starczynski's May, who was just fine when she found out the secret, and romanced Jarvis, or like Ultimate Aunt May, who may have been the most badass character in that universe.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Never knew the character was hated. While I think the idea of her passing away and Peter going into life with that could generate interesting story material, the character, when done well, is a good part of the franchise.

"Oh no Aunt May has had her one hundredth health crisis".

Aunt May's problem is that she's not a character she's a plot device that was overused. After her tenth health crisis Marvel should have either developed her character or kill her off.
    Undo One More Day, bring back the marriage, and make Spider-Man great again
    http://spider-warrior5287.deviantart.com/
    http://vampfox666.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    "Oh no Aunt May has had her one hundredth health crisis".

Aunt May's problem is that she's not a character she's a plot device that was overused. After her tenth health crisis Marvel should have either developed her character or kill her off.
    They did develop her character. It just didn't stick.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

As far as I'm concerned aunt May died in ASM #400.

What came after that is just bad fanfiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    To me, classic Aunt May isn't even a character. She's a plot device to make Peter's life suck more. Oh noes, I can't do this or that and have to keep everything a secret or the old bat might suddenly keel over dead.

And she doesn't even look like his aunt. She looks like his great-grandmother or something.

I do like the versions of Aunt May that got elevated to three-dimensional characters a lot though, like Starczynski's May, who was just fine when she found out the secret, and romanced Jarvis, or like Ultimate Aunt May, who may have been the most badass character in that universe.
    Yeah Marisa Tomei looks more like an Aunt to me anyways. That or Ultimate Aunt May.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Yeah Marisa Tomei looks more like an Aunt to me anyways. That or Ultimate Aunt May.
    Sally Field felt like a more reasonable take on a younger Aunt May to me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sally Field felt like a more reasonable take on a younger Aunt May to me, though.
    Yeah, I think she was favorite movie take on the character (albeit way underused). The original movies did fine with the older version and I think the MCU, ignoring the age question (which, to be fair would work in real life, it's just a very different take on the character), seemed fine as far as the performance went. I did like the more pronounced mom/son dynamics from the Ultimate comics, which is what the MCU movies seem to be shooting for, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Technically, Sally Field still played an elderly Aunt May.

It's possible for Peter to have an older Aunt and Uncle. My mom's about to turn 64. My dad's about to turn 71. And they have a 16 year old niece (the youngest daughter of my mom's younger brother.)

It's a bit unusual, although having Peter be an orphan is way stranger, statistically speaking.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

If she were dead, someone would just replace her role and it would be the same status quo with different names. Her role is to cause trouble for Peter, give him someone to protect from harm and to keep from knowing his secret identity. Might as well continue to be her than have some new character fill the role.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

If she were dead, someone would just replace her role and it would be the same status quo with different names. Her role is to cause trouble for Peter, give him someone to protect from harm and to keep from knowing his secret identity. Might as well continue to be her than have some new character fill the role.
    Remember when they tried to put Aunt Anna in Aunt May's role? It didn't work nearly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The stuff with her that I've found I like the best is where she's there as a family member. I mean, there is some fun to be had when Peter is trying to operate under her radar or she inadvertently complicates his life, but that's not really the emotional connection.

Bear in mind that I like Ultimate Spider-Man, where the idea was that Peter's aunt was one of the two people who really grounded him in the real world (the other person being Mary Jane, ironically enough, given the direction the comics are trying to go now). In that series, at least, she was an actual character instead of a plot device, and I think the stories were all the better for it.