Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I have to read Inhumans to full grasp IvX?

Started reading the current X-Men titles and I'm almost to IvX, should I go back and read the 2 Inhumans titles or will it matter much?

Won't matter much, as far as your understanding of IvX.

A few fun stories in those books, so read them anyway if you want.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Won't matter much, as far as your understanding of IvX.

A few fun stories in those books, so read them anyway if you want.

Thx

Will just starting off with Uncanny Inhumans and New Inhumans fill me in on everything. I just read Uncanny 1 and feel a bit lost

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Thx

Will just starting off with Uncanny Inhumans and New Inhumans fill me in on everything. I just read Uncanny 1 and feel a bit lost
    If you want the whole story behind the NuHumans and the Terrigen cloud, you have to go all the way back to the Infinity cross-over event that was written by Jonathan Hickman.

The only thing pertinent, otherwise, to understanding IvX would probably be the Death of X mini.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Nope. Never read an issue of Inhumans and I understood it fine

Considering how ooc some moments came out for some characters in that crossover (and in crossovers in general) I don't think you really need any backstory.

Started reading the current X-Men titles and I'm almost to IvX, should I go back and read the 2 Inhumans titles or will it matter much?
    It's better to have a full understanding of editorial problems around the story so you get why it's so messed up. Pretty much, the Inhumans = good, X-Men bad and the entire point of the story is selling the X-Men fans on the Inhumans

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    It's better to have a full understanding of editorial problems around the story so you get why it's so messed up. Pretty much, the Inhumans = good, X-Men bad and the entire point of the story is selling the X-Men fans on the Inhumans
    I disagree the story never read like they were trying to make one side better than the other nor did it seem at all that they were trying to get any X-men fans to like the inhumans.

Only if you're a masochist.

As a long time inhuman fan I wouldn't recommend it. Soule's run is terrible. There are so many forgotten plot points, new one dimensional characters with boring personalities. All the original inhumans act out of character. There is a six issue story arc where Soule gives Ahura powers, except he already had powers that were 99% identical to the new ones. So the whole story arc was a waste of time and money.

However, the inhumans IvX tie in issues are all about Maximus going on an adventure. Maximus is crazy so lots of fun stuff happens. Those issues are very entertaining but don't really contribute much to the actual IvX event. But if you like stories about crazy people I recommend it.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

In the new Marvel where stories trump continuity, understanding plotlines is overrated. No need to chase back issues for this one my friend.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I disagree the story never read like they were trying to make one side better than the other nor did it seem at all that they were trying to get any X-men fans to like the inhumans.
    IA. It did the opposite. If anything it made X-men fans hate the Inhumans even more. Theres really nothing in there that paints the Inhumans in a positive light from an X-perspective except maybe Iso

Fantastic Member

Nothing will give you a full grasp of IvX because it's a mess of a story. Just go into it drunk or high and you'll be fine.

Incredible Member

No, just read Death of X and later IvX, that's enough to understand the terrigen storyline. I heard Uncanny Inhumans didn't dealt with the terrigen storyline at all, save for the tie-ins. And the X-men comics will just confuse you given how disjointed everything is.

So just read DoX before IvX.

Quote Originally Posted by Daska View Post
    However, the inhumans IvX tie in issues are all about Maximus going on an adventure. Maximus is crazy so lots of fun stuff happens. Those issues are very entertaining but don't really contribute much to the actual IvX event. But if you like stories about crazy people I recommend it.
    Actually this. A friend got me to check it out. The Maximus stuff was pure gold.