Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I'm not against it . It's just that why introduce a new character for Diana when DC hasn't done a good job with her many other supporting cast? Shouldn't we focus on having DC first treat Diana and her supporting cast right before adding more supporting cast? I mean lets fact the superman and Wonder Woman relationship seems to be canon but not Jason. I mean Rucka did say he would touchback on Diana's origin. His whole run is Diana searching for the true. I mean new 52 Hippolyta doesn't exist . Demi-god origin is in question since it was told to her on the fake island. So Jason is probably not real but if he is he shouldn't be used. Why make a new supporting member when the old ones aren't written well many times
    Please sign this so we can at least show DC we want Legend of Wonder Woman part 2.

https://www.change.org/p/comic-fans-...part-2-back-on

I'm not per say against Diana having a brother the Thrax idea was interesting in the animated film but was also rape going by Hippolyta's dialogue so I wouldn't want it in main continuity. But what I do want from Rebirth is Diana's old origin of Hippolyta creating her from clay and the gods giving her life. It made Diana unique and was about Hippolyta's love and desire for a daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I'm not per say against Diana having a brother the Thrax idea was interesting in the animated film but was also rape going by Hippolyta's dialogue so I wouldn't want it in main continuity. But what I do want from Rebirth is Diana's old origin of Hippolyta creating her from clay and the gods giving her life. It made Diana unique and was about Hippolyta's love and desire for a daughter.
    Truthfully, Mizzy, I am for Diana having a brother figure, if it adds to her mythos - I think it will - and even more for it, if giving her a brother solves a narrative (storytelling-related) problem. For my money, it doesn't have to literally be her brother, either.

King Hippolytus of Nemi (Virbius Rex Nemorensis), in my opinion, solves a narrative problem. He gives Diana a supernaturally powerful, male family member, whom she can trust, as she would a brother, ..and who understands her Amazon culture and some of her superheroic responsibilities. Steve Trevor may be her boyfriend and best friend, but, he'll never understand Amazon ways, the way Hippolytus, son of Antiope, can understand it. Steve Trevor's never lived with the kind of power coursing through his body that King Hippolytus, a Roman forest god, has, ..and he'll never fully understand the responsibilities that come with having such power. This could give the WW comic a unique character - it has nothing like him - to play and contrast Diana beside.

Again, he fits so well into the Amazon story, ..being a man, who is resurrected from death, after being murdered by an evil tyrant, who happened to be his father! Hippolytus's classical myth mirrors the Perez origin for the Amazon race. How can he, son of Antiope, be from the true Greek mythology of the Amazons - he's been on library shelves, for centuries, all over the WORLD - but have no place in the Wonder Woman comic? That is very wrong to me, and it should be wrong to all of us, if the only reason DC Comics leaves Diana, without her true cousin...

Is because he is a man. That is very wrong. His place is with his family ..and with Diana.

I want King Hippolytus to have his own indestructible bracelets, eagle-insignia uniform and ..an INVISIBLE TANK! Furthermore, his enchanted forest kingdom, Nemi (or Aricia), gives us a break from Paradise Island, ..and that keeps the Island and the Amazons a remote, mysterious, magical and special to us. It gives the comic a reason to explore Roman mythology, a little, since his magic forest is in Italy. Giving Wonder Woman another cool place to hang out is one more reason to include King Hippolytus...

And for the goofiest reason possible, ..what GUY doesn't like a GUY, who's the king of his own magic FOREST?! What a FANTASY?!

As for the 'Jason' business...I would love to find out that Wonder Woman and Jason Blood are twins AND thousands-years old immortals, as Diana will be in the 2017 movie. I love the irony of an angelic figure and a demonic figure being siblings, because it's so mytho-poetically Greek. I just think it'd be sort of cool.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-22-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    Wonder Boy, Prince of the Amazons, saves Paradise Island from the techno-tyranny of Roboseidon in... WONDER BOY LIVES

Very interesting, Mel Dyer!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Very interesting, Mel Dyer!
    Thanks, Phoenix.

Heaven knows we've seen more obscure mythological figures, than Hippolytus, traipse through the WW comic...so where is he? I was kinda' jking about the eagle-emblem and the invisible TANK, though.
    Wonder Boy, Prince of the Amazons, saves Paradise Island from the techno-tyranny of Roboseidon in... WONDER BOY LIVES

Rookie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Truthfully, Mizzy, I am for Diana having a brother figure, if it adds to her mythos - I think it will - and even more for it, if giving her a brother solves a narrative (storytelling-related) problem. For my money, it doesn't have to literally be her brother, either.

King Hippolytus of Nemi (Virbius Rex Nemorensis), in my opinion, solves a narrative problem. He gives Diana a supernaturally powerful, male family member, whom she can trust, as she would a brother, ..and who understands her Amazon culture and some of her superheroic responsibilities.
    If they are going to give Wonder Woman a male partner or sidekick, it will probably be best to make them blood related. Too many times when female heroines are partnered up with male heroes writers go off the deep end and tray to make them "romantically" involved. Kind of annoying that a woman and a man can't work together in comics without romance subplots, I.E. Wonder Woman and Superman. Wouldn't have to worrying about that nonsense if Jason was blood related to Diana.

Not against it I just can't think of adding a male sidekick when there is still serious problems with Donna and Cassie. Can we get them in like before adding characters.
    Please sign this so we can at least show DC we want Legend of Wonder Woman part 2.

www.pressoblivion.com Super-Wonder's Avatar

Default She Was Born!!! So Was he and Who's the Guy chained to the tree?

The events of Darksied War can't be dismissed, events there affected other characters that are canon, in other books.
    During this story we find out that Diana was born on the island, not sculpted of clay, and that she wasn't the only child born to Hyppolyta that night, according to Grail's mother, Myrina, a boy followed Diana from the womb.

That there is a father isn't as significant as who the Father is.

We still don't know who this character is chained to the tree . . . though there is some speculation that this might be Ares, I'm not so sure as I haven't seen anything that would indicate that it's him, but Rucka's run has yet to finish.
    I think that it's Jason.

The creative challenge here is to make the character of Jason interesting, and there is a creative resolution to everything fictional and fantastical.
    Wonderfully Superb

Sorry but looking at be recent covers and issue 20 Ares is locked up in paradise island. Rucka said he wasn't used Jason.

There's been interest on these forums, in giving Wonder Woman a gay male 'brother figure' in the past. Does gayness [gaiety?] make Jason or a 'Mister Wonder' more appealing to some of you? Does he have to be gay for full approval, with Wonder-fans?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; Today at 11:29 AM.

So you're asking: would we be more receptive to Wonder Woman having a male sibling if he were LGBT? Are we hesitant to allow her a brother if he was heterosexual?

Me, personally... I'm entertained by the notion of Diana having a male peer of Amazon heritage who was raised by Hephaestus or Gargareans such that he would be as alien as she is to the Patriarchy, but from a completely different perspective and environment. Ultimately, though, I think giving her a twin brother is a bad idea, it diminishes her uniqueness, and makes Hippolyta even MORE of a problematic mother figure.

I think immortal Alkaeus of Thebes, AKA Heracles, should be her male counterpart. As entertained as I might be by a contemporary "new character", Diana was DESIGNED to have a conversation about the kind of heroic paradigm that Heracles originates. Plus he's already LGBT, and really complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    So you're asking: would we be more receptive to Wonder Woman having a male sibling if he were LGBT? Are we hesitant to allow her a brother if he was heterosexual?

Me, personally... I'm entertained by the notion of Diana having a male peer of Amazon heritage who was raised by Hephaestus or Gargareans such that he would be as alien as she is to the Patriarchy, but from a completely different perspective and environment. Ultimately, though, I think giving her a twin brother is a bad idea, it diminishes her uniqueness, and makes Hippolyta even MORE of a problematic mother figure...
    It seems some of us think that, if you give Wonder Woman a straight, traditionally masculine, Wolverine-like brother, he will ultimately overshadow Wonder Woman. Do you think WW fans would feel more enthusiastic about Wonder Woman getting a twin brother, ..if Dan Didio told us 'Jason the Twin Brother' would be gay?

Does Gay Jason have a built-in advantage over Plain Jason?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; Today at 02:57 PM.

Ah ok. That's a lot of questions and a lot of factors.

I always come back to Wonder Woman being about a conversation about the perils of the masculinity paradigm. A gay "Jason" would have a lot to say about that paradigm, where a straight one would not. A homosexual male adds to the conversation Wonder Woman was designed to have. A straight one would only ever listen, and therefore be boring.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Ah ok. That's a lot of questions and a lot of factors.

I always come back to Wonder Woman being about a conversation about the perils of the masculinity paradigm. A gay "Jason" would have a lot to say about that paradigm, where a straight one would not. A homosexual male adds to the conversation Wonder Woman was designed to have. A straight one would only ever listen, and therefore be boring.
    Us straight and plain types might have quite a bit to say about the perils of the masculinity paradigm. We could surprise you, ..if given a chance. Keep in mind that we wouldn't be having this conversation, were it not for the paradigm-bending, very heterosexual Dr. Marston.