Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh god Marvel

Newbie Member

Default Oh god Marvel

I started reading comics like 2-3 years ago (I know its short time compared to other readers), and I was pure marvel fanboy. I mean, I didnt even TRIED to read other company's comics.
    I was collecting just trades, books like Civil war, Kraven's last hunt, Deadpool&Cable, New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men... Things like that. But then... the worst thing happend- I tried to read the current Marvel titles.

At first, titles like Steve Rogers CA and Old man Logan was kinda cool, but the other things...? Man... America #1 was pure SJW horrible writed TRASH. Invincible Iron man was just some "who is that stupid girl and what the hell she is doing here?". Civil War 2 was just forced event with bad writing, I mean, Captain marvel was one of my favorites and she was pure BI***. IvX was just big WTF. Champions? the lamest joke I was ever read.
    EVERY title I was looking into had some shitty political ajenda. Female thor. Korean hulk. Black cap. Nazty cap. I can go on forever.

This is not my Marvel. So right now, from a blind Marvel fanboy I became a big DC and Image fan. They are just killing Marvel in quality.
    So yea, you can all say "Nobody cares you are not buying Marvel stuff anymore", but there is a problem here. The status of the company is so bad if a blind fanboy as I used to be throwed their comics away with big WTF in their heads.

I felt the same way last year and ended up taking an eight month break from marvel comics. Now I am starting to read marvel comics again and am enjoying them. Maybe you should just take a break from marvel comics for awhile and wait for stories that interest you to come out? As for right now there are actually quite a few good titles out. One of them is Hulk it is excellent.

DC is awful!
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

This thread is going places...
    (bad places but still places)
    Current Pull: Lazarus, Invincible, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Nightwing, Titans, Trinity, Daredevil, Elektra, Royals, Secret Warriors, Black Bolt, Black Panther, Archie, Ninjak.

Newbie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    DC is awful!
    DC is amazing right now. Batman is good, detective is awesome, superman&action comics is amazing, red hood, nightwing, green lanterns, super sons, wonder woman, flash, Aquman... All of these titles are good to awesome reads.

Hey ghvxg887, come back in 2-3 years and let us know if you're still a fanboy of DC/Image comics!

Jon

For what it's worth, I have only been into comics two years myself and Marvel still owns my soul. I do enjoy some titles from other publishers too.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast - Episode 20 is now live! In it we talk with ROYALS writer AL EWING(Minor Spoilers BEWARE)!
    Pull List: Royals,
    The Ultimates 2, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur, Mosaic, Silk, Spider-Gwen, The Mighty Captain Marvel, Jessica Jones, Hawkeye, Hulk. Upcoming: Secret Warriors, Black Bolt

Another "old guard" vs legacy.
    Who will lose? As usual, fans of characters who are neither (like Victor Mancha or Mettle)

DC is awful!
    I think that Kings Batman awesome, though I admit I don't get to far outside of the Bat Family in DC though so can't speak for the others
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Another "old guard" vs legacy.
    Who will lose? As usual, fans of characters who are neither (like Victor Mancha or Mettle)
    Well, at least this time nobody can accuse the OP of being a nostalgic old geezer

And yeah... Victor Mancha and Mettle were two of my favorite characters also

DC is awful!
    Current DC is solid, with Priest's Deathstroke being leagues above anything Marvel is publishing ATM. To say that DC overall sucks, is an ignorant thing to say. We're talking about the company that gave us Morrison's Animal Man & Doom Patrol, Sandman, Lucifer, Hellblazer and Transmetropolitan, Kirby's New Gods and a whole slew of comics that changed the medium and told non-superhero stories.

DC has produced amazing runs and books. To call them all awful, is like I said, rather short-minded. Opinions aside, certain achievements should be recognized, despite personal bias. At least IMO.

Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghvxg887 View Post
    but there is a problem here. The status of the company is so bad if a blind fanboy as I used to be throwed their comics away with big WTF in their heads.
    Marvel's got problems, but losing readers that complain about "SJW writing", and "shitty political agendas" is a positive, not a negative.

The key isn't to appeal to those readers and get them back, but to bring in a different set of readers, which will be more challenging, but have a more positive effect in the long run.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

Quote Originally Posted by Ghvxg887 View Post
    I started reading comics like 2-3 years ago (I know its short time compared to other readers), and I was pure marvel fanboy. I mean, I didnt even TRIED to read other company's comics.
    I was collecting just trades, books like Civil war, Kraven's last hunt, Deadpool&Cable, New X-Men, Astonishing X-Men... Things like that. But then... the worst thing happend- I tried to read the current Marvel titles.

At first, titles like Steve Rogers CA and Old man Logan was kinda cool, but the other things...? Man... America #1 was pure SJW horrible writed TRASH. Invincible Iron man was just some "who is that stupid girl and what the hell she is doing here?". Civil War 2 was just forced event with bad writing, I mean, Captain marvel was one of my favorites and she was pure BI***. IvX was just big WTF. Champions? the lamest joke I was ever read.
    EVERY title I was looking into had some shitty political ajenda. Female thor. Korean hulk. Black cap. Nazty cap. I can go on forever.

This is not my Marvel. So right now, from a blind Marvel fanboy I became a big DC and Image fan. They are just killing Marvel in quality.
    So yea, you can all say "Nobody cares you are not buying Marvel stuff anymore", but there is a problem here. The status of the company is so bad if a blind fanboy as I used to be throwed their comics away with big WTF in their heads.
    The thing is, some of those things you hate other fans love. Like you I started reading Marvel comics around two years ago thanks to getting Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1 on a whim, and became a huge fanboy, reading titles old and new and you know what? I enjoy both. Astonishing X-Men is a beautiful series, and have you tried Peter David's X-Factor? I started reading it a few days ago and it is such a good book. At the same time I love what Marvel are currently doing. America #1 could be better but its a fun book (Multidimensional collage? Yay!) Riri could be a great character, and I honestly think Nick Spencer's Hydra-Cap story will be seen as a classic. I rather like a bit of politics in my stories.

I am not saying they are perfect, I do agree that CWII was a mess and IvX was near offensively bad, but I am enjoying a lot of their books at the moment. If you find things better over at DC, Image etc. then fair enough. I am not much of a DC fan myself, but I am enjoying Supergirl and Batwoman and Paper Girls by Image is my favorite on-going comic. What I will say though is that things in comics seen to rarely change forever. You should not write off Marvel completely, perhaps try again after Secret Empire? You may prefer things then, and if not, then... well, I will still enjoy being a fan-boi!

Quote Originally Posted by Victor_Von_Doom View Post
    Current DC is solid, with Priest's Deathstroke being leagues above anything Marvel is publishing ATM. To say that DC overall sucks, is an ignorant thing to say. We're talking about the company that gave us Morrison's Animal Man & Doom Patrol, Sandman, Lucifer, Hellblazer and Transmetropolitan, Kirby's New Gods and a whole slew of comics that changed the medium and told non-superhero stories.

DC has produced amazing runs and books. To call them all awful, is like I said, rather short-minded. Opinions aside, certain achievements should be recognized, despite personal bias. At least IMO.
    Fair enough, and I agree they are doing solid work but a lot of it is based on personal preferences. I mean, I will still take books like GLA & America over most DC books, but that's just me. Each to their own and all!
    Last edited by Valamist; 04-17-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    Marvel: - The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Hulk, The Mighty Captain Marvel, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Captain America: Steve Rodgers, Old Man Logan, The Mighty Thor, All-New Wolverine, Gwenpool, Black Panther, The Ultimates2, Champions.

DC: -
    Super-Girl, Batwoman

Image: -
    Paper Girls.

My Comics Review Blog!

DC is awful!
    I don't know about that. I've been loving what I've read with Titans, Superman and Action Comics, especially with Superman Reborn. Now that's a story that shows who the hero is at the core without having to be controversial like Marvel seems to think is the only way to do a character piece.

It's ok to read titles from both DC and Marvel. Just because some titles irk you..doesn't mean you have to throw away the whole company.
    Last edited by btmarine23; 04-19-2017 at 12:08 PM.