Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Grinning Green Ghoul Rob London's Avatar

Man, are we seriously writing off an entire title over a single jokey line in a solicit? Wallopin' web-snappers, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Man, are we seriously writing off an entire title over a single jokey line in a solicit? Wallopin' web-snappers, people.
    I'll admit, when you combine "team-ups" with a description of Spidey getting beat-up, it's a pretty big downer for me .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

And unfortunately, precedent has already been established of making Peter seem less competent than he should be for his years of experience, especially when in team-ups with other heroes, especially heroes Marvel wants to promote.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Since Homecoming is about a young inexperienced Peter Parker/Spiderman who needs help from heroes like Iron Man it's just the continued regression of the character to create phony synergy with the movie...I'm really tired of Marvel's infatuation with a teen-aged inexperienced Spiderman. I had high hopes for Spectacular...but now, it's dead to me and I will not be adding it to my pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    Not really. I'd much rather be able to pick up a Spider-title and be confident that it is going to be a meaningful story, competently told.
    I don't think there's ever a guarantee on that, and more titles maxes the odds of a good issue.

I can't wait for Spectacular, it's looking like a fun series, you guys need to lighten up. Is it wrong for Spidey to be "beat up" by a teenage girl in an Iron Man suit? No. I've got faith in Chip, he's a good writer with a good sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't think there's ever a guarantee on that, and more titles maxes the odds of a good issue.
    I really don't think it does. Generally, I would always rather have more Spidey (for example I definitely think that he could sustain 2-3 satellite titles on top of ASM) but 14 Spider-Man related titles is overkill.

To name one example, the whole concept of a Spider-Man/Deadpool title is insane to me, without even mentioning that the series itself is unreadable. I'm stunned that it's made it to 19 issues.

I don't mind the occasional spin off book, but there are far too many at the moment. I'm a big fan of Miles Morales for example, but at the moment he is one of four 'other' Spider-Men with their own spin-off books. There was a time when the idea of one ersatz Spider-Man having their own title seemed like overkill, and this was in the 90's, the age of excess.

Can you honestly tell me that Spider-Man is a character who can sustain 14 titles per month?

It's not just a jokey line in a solicit, it's simply the direction that Marvel has taken for very long where you have a (supposedly very gifted) guy that's been a hero for half of his lifetime, and despite everything he has faced, it's mandatory that he has to be portrayed like an incompetent based on a loser/parker luck/everyman concept bad interpretation, while a bunch of kids coming out of nowhere, that have been playing heroes just for a few months, can kick his ass here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    I really don't think it does. Generally, I would always rather have more Spidey (for example I definitely think that he could sustain 2-3 satellite titles on top of ASM) but 14 Spider-Man related titles is overkill.

To name one example, the whole concept of a Spider-Man/Deadpool title is insane to me, without even mentioning that the series itself is unreadable. I'm stunned that it's made it to 19 issues.

I don't mind the occasional spin off book, but there are far too many at the moment. I'm a big fan of Miles Morales for example, but at the moment he is one of four 'other' Spider-Men with their own spin-off books. There was a time when the idea of one ersatz Spider-Man having their own title seemed like overkill, and this was in the 90's, the age of excess.

Can you honestly tell me that Spider-Man is a character who can sustain 14 titles per month?
    100% agreed on all points. And count me among those who are completed mystified by the relative success of that Spidey/Deadpool comic; unreadable is the right word. I kept trying, thinking I was missing something but finally gave up. And, yes, great point that the '90's is still painted as the era of excess but pales in comparison to the sheer number of superfluous titles Marvel is publishing for each and every character......to think: the days of "X-Treme X-Men" would look like the picture of restraint by comparison!
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

What's superfluous and what isn't is in the eye of the beholder anyway.

We could all try to draw an objective line on where the Spider brand is crowded but ultimately if we like/dislike certain titles we're gonna be eager to defend/axe them respectively.

Yes there was no need for Spider-Man/Deadpool, but I like it. Except for the guest star issues.

Hopefully people will still give it a chance.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Hopefully people will still give it a chance.
    Oh, I'm definitely still giving it a chance, though the possible change in direction and solicit still kinda bums me out a little...