Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We also get some great stuff with the supporting cast, from Flash, to Deb, to Betty, to Robbie, and Jonah .

Even Sandman and Vulture get a good spotlight during that run.
    Agreed! Both those Sandman and Vulture stories are among the better ones in recent memory for the respective characters.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

Every time I take a look at the solicits, it amazes me how many utterly superfluous Spider-Man titles there are. Surely things have reached critical mass? I would love to see another, BND style, distillation of the character.

"If Ironheart will stop beating him up"... so Zdarsky's Spidey's can get beaten too by any newcomer (my bad, I was specting a writer that portrayed Peter in different way than Slott, with a more seasoned hero instead the current whining man-child)... not looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    Every time I take a look at the solicits, it amazes me how many utterly superfluous Spider-Man titles there are. Surely things have reached critical mass? I would love to see another, BND style, distillation of the character.
    Isn't variety better? More options and all that?

Astonishing Member

For those wondering where Generations was on the solicitations, it's been delayed until August

http://www.newsarama.com/34138-marve...s-delayed.html

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    If Marvel were actually making an effort to promote the books outside the direct market, sure. As it is, it seems like they're just releasing titles to get more money from their existing clientele.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    If Marvel were actually making an effort to promote the books outside the direct market, sure. As it is, it seems like they're just releasing titles to get more money from their existing clientele.
    Yeah, well that's Line Marketing 101: when you just can't seem to get new people under your product umbrella, the alternative is to sell more to the people already there. Call it line marketing or brand extension but it's a common practice (see Coke Zero, Cherry Coke, Diet Coke, etc).

Frankly, the comic industry's core audience has severely contracted and the only way to keep it going is to super-serve the remaining fans. Now, how they should best do that is a debate worth having.....I personally prefer new characters as opposed to 12 different spider-characters but I suppose sales tells a different story for the general public.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Well, at the end of the day, it's the choice of the buyers what they will or will not get. I may be biased, given that the only series I'm following is one of the "extras," but I think at the end of the day, having more variety is better than having less; you can just ignore stuff that isn't up your wheelhouse and it makes it easier for readers to find something they like rather than having to settle or something.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yeah, well that's Line Marketing 101: when you just can't seem to get new people under your product umbrella, the alternative is to sell more to the people already there. Call it line marketing or brand extension but it's a common practice (see Coke Zero, Cherry Coke, Diet Coke, etc).

Frankly, the comic industry's core audience has severely contracted and the only way to keep it going is to super-serve the remaining fans. Now, how they should best do that is a debate worth having.....I personally prefer new characters as opposed to 12 different spider-characters but I suppose sales tells a different story for the general public.
    Caveat there is losing 1-2 customers out of 100 each buying $20-40 of product a month is probably easier than losing 1-2 customers out of 10 buying $200-400 of product a month.

Well, at the end of the day, it's the choice of the buyers what they will or will not get. I may be biased, given that the only series I'm following is one of the "extras," but I think at the end of the day, having more variety is better than having less; you can just ignore stuff that isn't up your wheelhouse and it makes it easier for readers to find something they like rather than having to settle or something.
    One major problem is the distribution model. On something like Marvel Unlimited or just digital itself where you essentially have unlimited copies, more choice is good for the consumer.

Comic book shops with limited capital and the direct market offering no returnability so each unsold comic is money out of pocket? Probably can't afford to stock everything Marvel puts out. For MAY17 Previews, Marvel had 90 individual issues with retail value of $363.10. Probably gonna climb a whole lot higher once you include variants particularly the incentivized ratio and percentage ones Marvel is so fond of. I sometimes wonder if Marvel is actively trying to kill comic book shops.

Another issue, frequent crossovers and events that kinda forces fans to buy books they normally wouldn't get to make sense of the story.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 04-20-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

So long, 2099. I hope Miggy gets yet another chance in the future (no pun intended).

Astonishing Member

Whoops, like like there was some misreporting going on with Generations

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Whoops, like like there was some misreporting going on with Generations

From the controversial Marvel Retailer Summit, iirc, David Gabriel did mention September for Generations.
    Currently Following:

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vhm74 View Post
    "If Ironheart will stop beating him up"... so Zdarsky's Spidey's can get beaten too by any newcomer (my bad, I was specting a writer that portrayed Peter in different way than Slott, with a more seasoned hero instead the current whining man-child)... not looking good.
    Yeah, I'm starting to think Spectacular Spider-Man may not be as good as I was hoping for. I'm not even sure why Ironheart would be beating Spidey up, since he is currently a world famous and widely beloved superhero and funding the Avengers, and how she could, since I think both Slott and Joe Kelly said Peter's armor is more advanced than Tony's. Unless Ironheart is going to be written like the invincible Miles Morales, this comic doesn't makes sense on either front.

Not really. I'd much rather be able to pick up a Spider-title and be confident that it is going to be a meaningful story, competently told.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #30
    DAN SLOTT (W) • STUART IMMONEN (A)
    Cover by ALEX ROSS
    X-MEN TRADING CARD VARIANT COVER BY JIM LEE
    SECRET EMPIRE TIE-IN!
    • Otto Octavius is back, but he’s not returning to his old ways…
    • No, this time, he’s THE SUPERIOR OCTOPUS! And he’s allied himself with Steve Rogers and Hydra!
    • What does Ock have planned for Peter and Parker Industries? Nothing good for Spider-Man, that’s for sure!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Whoop-di-do...yawn...

PETER PARKER: THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #2
    CHIP ZDARSKY (w) • ADAM KUBERT (a/C)
    X-MEN TRADING CARD VARIANT COVER BY JIM LEE
    Variant Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS
    • A tech-crime ring is tightening around Spider-Man.
    If Ironheart will stop beating him up , she may be able to help him zero in on the source.
    • And who is the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent showing up at Peter’s door with more info on Spidey than anyone should have?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Looks bad scoob.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #9
    GERRY CONWAY & RYAN STEGMAN (W) • RYAN STEGMAN (a/C)
    • MJ’s Regent-tech suit has been acting up and sapping spidey-powers from Peter, so she went and got herself a biological upgrade.
    • Something black and white and terrible all over…
    • With MJ bonded to the Venom symbiote, will she give in to its villainous urges?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Good sh**. Mhmmm that's some good sh** right there.