Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Secret Empire, Explained. By Kieran Shiach

Source: http://www.polygon.com/comics/2017/4...pire-explained

The same former writer of ComicsAlliance that posted the threads of tweets that I've posted here earlier just published an article about Secret Empire laying some cold hard truths. And I couldn't agree more.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: Amazing Spider-Man, Nick Fury, Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider, Spider-Man and Deadpool and Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows

DC Comics: All-Star Batman, Batman

"You know... the world could always use more heroes" -Tracer

Astonishing Member

Ironically, the revelation that HYDRA was run by Strucker didn't come from Lee or Kirby, it came from Trump supporter Jim Steranko.

What Marvel and the creators involved should ask themselves is this: Was it worth it? However good Secret Empire may be in the end, will it be worth the pain and alienation it caused? Is it worth being remembered as the company that played with Nazi iconography and philosophy for its stories? As a story, was it worth the cost of being remembered as the people who made Captain America a fascist?
    The answer, as usual, is "yes, if it's a good and entertaining story."

The idea that a story like this causes meaningful "pain and alienation" is... well, I don't think it's true, but even if it were, storytellers can't make their choices based on worrying about who might, conceivably, misinterpret it. Anything can cause "pain and alienation" if it's interpreted in a certain way. (People might feel "pain and alienation" if they interpret the story to mean anyone who wants to restrict immigration is as bad as the Sons of the Serpent, but Spencer isn't saying that, and he can't be responsible for those who think he is.) The only thing to do is try to be respectful of people who are upset, but make it clear that their rights are limited to the right not to buy or read the thing.
    Last edited by gurkle; 04-18-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Fantastic Member

ComicsAlliance has had an issue with Spencer and his Cap run from day one.

Since when a personal nostalgia about the Ultimate Universe is cold hard truths ?

Really one-sided, narrow minded article that goes to great lengths to gloss over important context in order to push a sensationalist narrative imo
    Currently Reading: DC: Hellblazer /// MARVEL: Nova, Dr. Strange, Iron Fist, Secret Empire /// IMAGE: Renato Jones Season 2: Freelancer, Seven to Eternity

Upcoming Reading: MARVEL: Iron Fists /// IMAGE: Frontier

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Fantastic Member

Dude ends the article saying that we will remember SE as a black spot in comic history when it hasn't even started yet.

Wah wah wah. Fictional evil organisation is portrayed as evil in a work of fiction. This is somehow bad. Wah wah wah.

Let's at least wait until the book's out, yeah?
    Currently enjoying:
    Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows ~ Daredevil ~ Old Man Logan ~ Secret Empire ~ Zombies Assemble

Currently anticipating:
    Spider-Men

If you genuinelly don't understand why people feel the way they do about Nick Spencer and his Captain America run, you might be more more out of touch than I've even realized.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04...alex-de-campi/

Spencer is fundamentally wrong to write Cap. Period. Regardless how much I've somewhat enjoyed his Sam Wilson run, superhero comics clearly aren't his thing. The sooner Secret Empire is over, the better.

How the famous "no, you move" speech would be written by Spencer:

Last edited by ijacksparrow; 04-18-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: Amazing Spider-Man, Nick Fury, Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider, Spider-Man and Deadpool and Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows

Well that is a load of bullshit.

In other news: Secret Empire will be remembered as an instant classic as written on my blog.

I mean i didn't write that yet but i might do so.or not. Because I'll wait till it's done until i judge it.
    Can't wait for it though.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Mass Effect: Ranking the Squad Members

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    If you genuinelly don't understand why people feel the way they do about Nick Spencer and his Captain America run, you might be more more out of touch than I've even realized.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04...alex-de-campi/

Spencer is fundamentally wrong to write Cap. Period. Regardless how much I've somewhat enjoyed his Sam Wilson run, superhero comics clearly aren't his thing. The sooner Secret Empire is over, the better.

How the famous "no, you move" speech would be written by Spencer:

So everyone who disagrees is out of touch?

Also, saying that he shouldn't be writing Captain America because he doesn't encourage real life vigilantism is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirayuki View Post
    So everyone who disagrees is out of touch?

Also, saying that he shouldn't be writing Captain America because he doesn't encourage vigilantism is a stretch.
    No. I don't endorse vigilantism either. It's more the fact that he made Captain a nazi and to add to the injury, he thinks that punching white nationalists is wrong. We are talking about Captain America. The guy who was created by Simon and Kirby, Kirby, the guy who went against nazis at a freaking Marvel office. Then it's just wrong.

Edit: And look, I'm all for making fun out of any of the extremes: extreme right or extreme left. They seem the same to me. With that said, when you defend a freaking nazi, you crossed a line that I'm not crossing. And I don't necessarily blame Spencer. What I think echoes what Alex de Campi said here:

https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/stat...79774502490114

So if you're wondering why those in power aren't restraining NS, realize when Secret Empire fails (and it will), they will need a scapegoat.
    "They" being Marvel Comics.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 04-18-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    Pull list:

Oh. BTW. The backlash over Secret Empire #0 will be BRUTAL. You've been warned.
    Pull list:

Fantastic Member

I think most people expect controversy. The important thing will be the story as a whole.

Secret Empire is my favorite event. and it's barely started.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016

are you threatening to murder Nick Spencer? I'm not sure what you mean by "brutal backlash." you couldn't possibly be talking about the usual fan-crying that goes on whenever someone didn't like a comic book story.
    Quote Originally Posted by somacula View Post
    Because its fun, not as fun as the liberal meltdown but close
    11/10/2016