Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Things don't happen in a vaccuum within comics. Captain America is now very much part of the mainstream, even if people don't necessarily read the comics. When I read stuff like this, my blood boils:

https://twitter.com/abhishekrana981/...80964878868480
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: All-New, All-Different Guardians of the Galaxy, Amazing Spider-Man and Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man

"You know... the world could always use more heroes" -Tracer

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    Things don't happen in a vaccuum within comics. Captain America is now very much part of the mainstream, even if people don't necessarily read the comics. When I read stuff like this, my blood boils:

I don't get your point. On the basis of that tweet, hate groups don't like the current Hydra!Cap story. Isn't that a point in the storyline's favour?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I don't get your point. On the basis of that tweet, hate groups don't like the current Hydra!Cap story. Isn't that a point in the storyline's favour?
    Seriously? That dude and his lady friend clearly seem to say that with an irony tone that it's so obvious that I can't believe you miss it. White supremacists are actually ENJOYING this.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: All-New, All-Different Guardians of the Galaxy, Amazing Spider-Man and Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man

Seriously? That dude and his lady friend clearly seem to say that with an irony tone that it's so obvious that I can't believe you miss it. White supremacists are actually ENJOYING this.
    *shrug* I'm not on Twitter, so maybe I missed some 'nuance'. I took that tweet at face value and just assumed it was another example of right wing media taking comics panels out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    *shrug* I'm not on Twitter, so maybe I missed some 'nuance'. I took that tweet at face value and just assumed it was another example of right wing media taking comics panels out of context.
    They have Captain America as their fucking poster boy now. With Marvel making a big case about the whole thing. Of course they are enjoying it, even more so because leftists on social media have been strongly vocal against Secret Empire. The "Gamergate"/alt-right crowd is having a field trip with this.
    Pull list:

BANNED

Why one should care about what some idiots with a ridiculous Twitter account and a measly number of followers think? So dumb people don't get the nuances of a multi layered story. Big news. It's like saying that Huckleberry Finn, or the Handmaids Tale, or Sandman, or Persepolis and countless other books should be removed from school curriculum when one of those religious associations ask for those books to be banned from schools.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

The sad thing is seeing some of the critics who are mostly readers opposed to comic writers or professional critics...but they're basically saying they hope spencer and everyone at marvel whose involved in okaying and worked on the story of secret empire that their career will be ruined and that they'll never get hired again it's sad really.

I don't see it as frequently but when I see people say these things about spencer and marvel that they hope that their careers will be ruined and that secret empire will flop it's honestly just really sad to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    The sad thing is seeing some of the critics who are mostly readers opposed to comic writers or professional critics...but they're basically saying they hope spencer and everyone at marvel whose involved in okaying and worked on the story of secret empire that their career will be ruined and that they'll never get hired again it's sad really.

I don't see it as frequently but when I see people say these things about spencer and marvel that they hope that their careers will be ruined and that secret empire will flop it's honestly just really sad to see.
    The writer for the article I've posted has been working with ComicsAlliance for almost ten years. Polygon is one of the most prolific videogame websites out there and Kieran has quite a following. He IS a professional critic and he seems pretty much gutted with the state of Marvel Comics. I can sympathize with that feeling because I feel the same. Hell, I've seen Marvel Comics WORKERS going against Spencer. It's not like Spencer is facing an angry mob of unknown comic book readers and sjws. Actual legit people that work in the business are disguted by Secret Empire.
    Last edited by ijacksparrow; 04-19-2017 at 01:57 AM.
    Pull list:

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    Why one should care about what some idiots with a ridiculous Twitter account and a measly number of followers think? So dumb people don't get the nuances of a multi layered story. Big news. It's like saying that Huckleberry Finn, or the Handmaids Tale, or Sandman, or Persepolis and countless other books should be removed from school curriculum when one of those religious associations ask for those books to be banned from schools.
    Bwahahahahahahahaahaha. Uh... I love my Marvel Comics, but comparing with Sandman and others you listed. Lol man. You're pushing it. This is superhero comics, and Secret Empire regardless how well written it might be, it's wrong for Captain America. It just is.
    Pull list:

If you think that really Cap is the new poster boy of the altright, you are really missing a lot of that sphere.

I see a lot of people on the right that dont like this story and a lot of people in the left liking this story (Include me in the latter).Theres nothing to do with ideologies and more if they like how the arc develops.

Ah , and showing some tweets of a nobody that clearly isnt reading the comic isnt helping your point, you know that , right?
    I will judge you ... with the power of my POSTS!!!!

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

The writer for the article I've posted has been working with ComicsAlliance for almost ten years. Polygon is one of the most prolific videogame websites out there and Kieran has quite a following. He IS a professional critic and he seems pretty much gutted with the state of Marvel Comics. I can sympathize with that feeling because I feel the same. Hell, I've seen Marvel Comics WORKERS going against Spencer. It's not like Spencer is facing an angry mob of unknown comic book readers and sjws. Actual legit people that work in the business are disguted by Secret Empire.
    No I was talking about non professional critics and non comic book writers but comic readers who are hoping that spencer and everyone at marvel involved with working on secret empire that their careers get destroyed and that secret empire will flop.

There's no doubt that there's some critics and comic writers who argue this which is sad honestly regardless of whose critical of the story spencer and everyone at marvel whose helping work on the story of secret empire shouldn't have to worry about their career being damaged just because they're doing a really controversial story.

The point is it's childish on these critics's part if they're saying they hope or think the story will flop and that Spencer's career in comics should be ruined and just because the critics don't like the story? Even so it's sad.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 04-19-2017 at 02:08 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Writer Joe Hill says it all about the hand-wringing about Hydra Cap in a tweet:

"This desire for comics in which the heroes experience harmless care & consequence-free adventures is antithetical to my whole view of art."

Hydra Cap is an alarming, gut-wrenching, nail-biting story. And that's good.

I don't know how Steve - or the Marvel Universe - is going to come out of this ok. And as a reader, I love that.

To not want this story to be told because, oh, it might harm the "brand" or - oh no! - it might upset someone, well, who gives a crap?

If you don't tell a story you believe is a strong and good one for fear that it might cause some readers some momentary distress (mostly just because they're worried about the outcome), then you shouldn't be in the business of telling stories. I'm very glad that Spencer and Marvel had the confidence to go with this story and I can't wait to watch it unfold.

For those who don't want to read it, just sit it out. No harm, no foul.
    This sums up my entire view of everything Marvel, DC and Image have been doing over the past decade. Let the writers write, let them get their ideas out there. Just because people all of a sudden have this deep love for Cap; Marvel should hire a writer and dictate how they should approach the story? Who would work for an organization that pretty much stifles ones own creativity? Who would want to come to a publisher and write the same story arc that they read when they were growing up? If you aren't a creative person, whether it is in the professional field or a hobby; then you can't understand what it means to express your ideas even if it may offend someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    No I was talking about non professional critics and non comic book writers but comic readers who are hoping that spencer and everyone at marvel involved with working on secret empire that their careers get destroyed and that secret empire will flop.

There's no doubt that there's some critics and comic writers who argue this which is sad honestly regardless of whose critical of the story spencer and everyone at marvel whose helping work on the story of secret empire shouldn't have to worry about their career being damaged just because they're doing a really controversial story.
    You just don't screw up with a character history like that. This isn't by any metric anything like what Slott did with Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus. This attacks Captain America at his very core. If was Red Skull mind controlling Cap or somehow transplanting his brain, it'd be a very differnt story. It's controversial because it is the wrong story, at the wrong time. It's getting the flack it deserves. And I say that as someone that firmly believes it will be well written.
    Pull list:

All-New Member

People like you and those guys on twitter need to relax and take a step back from all of this. At the end of the day this whole outrage and disgust over a fictional character is just pathetic and would be comical if it wasn't grown men acting like children who never read a brainwashing story before. This whole thing is just a soft target that people can attack and act out when at the end of the day it has no effect on your life in the slightest.

All-New Member

Its only controversial because idiots make its so. Its only a comic book man.