Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 160
  1. #76
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    3,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In ONE THREAD, we have Waid branded first a sexist against women and then a feminist ally. These things can't BOTH be true. Which is it?
    WNB.jpg

    Waid has certainly been following the "progressive" kind of mentality that has been trendy in recent years (Meaning that he constantly insults CIS white males and people who disagree with him) which is pretty fitting considering that he has always been a hotheaded guy who didn't have any problem to start fights with other people, even his own fellow writers for basically anything.

    That being said, one can't help but notice how in many of his stories women often throw themselves to the heroes, become easily infatuated whenever the heroes kiss them and even become obsessed with them which are probably not the most respectful portrayals (I personally just find them completely obnoxious and derivative).

    About the topic, I have mixed thoughts. For one and despite of Waid's love of the character, he never had the best result at writing Superman. Sure, there's nothing particularly bad about it but nothing I would call it exactly "great". Not to mention that he has a pretty mixed track record recently, his Daredevil and Archie were great but there's also incredibly mediocre stuff like his Hulk, Black Widow, Avengers and Champions.

    I would definitely try his Superman if he's given the chance but my expectations are not that high.

  2. #77
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    WNB.jpg

    Waid has certainly been following the "progressive" kind of mentality that has been trendy in recent years (Meaning that he constantly insults CIS white males and people who disagree with him) which is pretty fitting considering that he has always been a hotheaded guy who didn't have any problem to start fights with other people, even his own fellow writers for basically anything.

    That being said, one can't help but notice how in many of his stories women often throw themselves to the heroes, become easily infatuated whenever the heroes kiss them and even become obsessed with them which are probably not the most respectful portrayals (I personally just find them completely obnoxious and derivative).
    Sounds like Waid is a bag of contradictions. I wonder if he's conscious of any cognitive dissonance about this.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  3. #78
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Really?! I'd never heard that. What a shame, Breeding was (and remains) one of Jurgen's best inkers. Certainly better than Rick Burchett or Joe Rubinstein (sorry!).
    After a quick Google, I found a post from BleedingCool that copied a Facebook post Breeding made on the matter. I had never heard it either, but it apparently is very true. That's a real disappointment.

  4. #79
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Planet Houston
    Posts
    3,760

    Default

    I never knew Jurgens and Breeding fell out. Its a shame .

    I grew to like Joe Rubinstein over Dan's pencils but I really didn't like when he took over at the time. I didn't cope with change all that well back then when it came to my comics lol.

    To me though my dream retro art team for a bi-Weekly ACTION is Jurgens wth Jerry Ordway Inks and Tom Grummett and Doug Hazelwood alternating, with Ian Churchill the designated fill in and perhaps cover artist. Have Waid co-plot with Jurgens and I'd be more than fine.

    One thing to consider about Waid if he would take over an in continuity title is what he thinks of the current married with a child status quo for Supes? He's apparently been anti-Supermarriage given he wanted to erase it at one point if the initial pitch of he and Morrison's SUPERMAN NOW pitch had been accepted. Perhaps something out of continuity or stand alone would be more to his tastes.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

  5. #80
    Veteran Member sakuyamons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Sounds like Waid is a bag of contradictions. I wonder if he's conscious of any cognitive dissonance about this.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Also, it brings me to wonder why he's insulting Cis males if he's one...though he's right about gamergaters though lol.

    His champions is decent, though I'll be sad when it ends, my main problem is that he likes more members than others (I'm okay with the political commentary) and it's shown on his writing. I'd like him to get his hands on YJ once he returns but I don't know.

    Maybe a Kon title would suit him if he doesn't want to write the super-family?

  6. #81
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I really don't like Waid writes kids/teens.

    He does much better with adults IMO.

    As long as he leaves his politics at the door, and not be given a book with kids in it I'm completely fine with him coming back.

    Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    though he's right about gamergaters though lol.
    Generalizing a group of people like what Waid did that only came together because they wanted to see ethics in video game journalism is wrong IMO.

  7. #82
    Notorious M.O.S. Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    Waid is one of those guys they always get to write young characters. I don't think he's stronger or weaker than too many others but I could see him getting a Superboy and the Legion type gig.

    Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

    I grew to like Joe Rubinstein over Dan's pencils but I really didn't like when he took over at the time. I didn't cope with change all that well back then when it came to my comics lol.
    Neal Adams should be coming back. These older artists don't seem to like guys correcting their art, but maybe he'd feel less insulted by another seasoned guy like Rubinstein doing it.

  8. #83
    Senior Member spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Also, it brings me to wonder why he's insulting Cis males if he's one...though he's right about gamergaters though lol.

    His champions is decent, though I'll be sad when it ends, my main problem is that he likes more members than others (I'm okay with the political commentary) and it's shown on his writing. I'd like him to get his hands on YJ once he returns but I don't know.

    Maybe a Kon title would suit him if he doesn't want to write the super-family?
    I saw him dicussing with trolls that happen to be cis males, but not insulting cis males just because they are cis males

  9. #84
    Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    A New Frontier
    Posts
    1,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In ONE THREAD, we have Waid branded first a sexist against women and then a feminist ally. These things can't BOTH be true. Which is it?

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Sure they can.

    Trying not to be sexist doesn't guarantee that you won't be.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

  10. #85
    So much HYPE dawg! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,367

    Default

    What has Waid done to make him sexist? This is the first I'm hearing of this.

  11. #86
    Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    A New Frontier
    Posts
    1,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    What has Waid done to make him sexist? This is the first I'm hearing of this.
    As far as I know, he hasn't been outright sexist in his personal life. I think we're referring to his comic work, where stories written by him have been unintentionally sexist in some capacity.

    In that regard, he's no different to most writers.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

  12. #87
    So much HYPE dawg! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    As far as I know, he hasn't been outright sexist in his personal life. I think we're referring to his comic work, where stories written by him have been unintentionally sexist in some capacity.

    In that regard, he's no different to most writers.
    Oh, I see. Maybe I don't have an eye for it or I haven't read enough of his work (which could very well be true) but I haven't read anything sexist in his books.

  13. #88
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    3,234

    Default

    My "favorite" examples of Waid being sexist, and awkward as a whole, were during his Brave and the Bold run where he basically made Supergirl, an underage girl, start throwing herself to Hal Jordan who was heroically rejecting the temptation (which in retrospective seemed mostly like self-gratification) and during his Flash run where he made the new villain Chillblaine, a poor man's Captain Cold, freeze the Golden Glider to death just to show how "dangerous" he was which gives a completely new meaning to the whole "Women in Refrigerators" trope (and makes me believe that Waid dodged a HUGE bullet since if that would have happened these days the internet would have been asking for his head).

  14. #89
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    My "favorite" examples of Waid being sexist, and awkward as a whole, were during his Brave and the Bold run where he basically made Supergirl, an underage girl, start throwing herself to Hal Jordan who was heroically rejecting the temptation (which in retrospective seemed mostly like self-gratification) and during his Flash run where he made the new villain Chillblaine, a poor man's Captain Cold, freeze the Golden Glider to death just to show how "dangerous" he was which gives a completely new meaning to the whole "Women in Refrigerators" trope (and makes me believe that Waid dodged a HUGE bullet since if that would have happened these days the internet would have been asking for his head).
    At the risk of kicking a hornet's nest.How is a underage girl hitting on a older man a example of sexism?

  15. #90
    So much HYPE dawg! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    My "favorite" examples of Waid being sexist, and awkward as a whole, were during his Brave and the Bold run where he basically made Supergirl, an underage girl, start throwing herself to Hal Jordan who was heroically rejecting the temptation (which in retrospective seemed mostly like self-gratification)
    Okay that's a very strange choice.

    Chillblaine, a poor man's Captain Cold, freeze the Golden Glider to death just to show how "dangerous" he was which gives a completely new meaning to the whole "Women in Refrigerators" trope
    But isn't this more an example of jobbing, and it just happens to be with a female character? I mean, Glider is Cold's sister, right? And as you point out, Chillblaine is a poor man's Cold, so maybe he was doing it for that connection. If Glider were a man, the same jobbing due to being a sibling of Cold would likely have happened, I feel.

    But then again, I never read the story so the context may be lost on me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •