Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    True, but Waid has always been against Lois and Clark being together and I doubt he's a fan of the idea of Jon. Waid has said more than once that he sees Clark as the disguise; he only wrote Birthright as he did because it was supposed to be a new origin for Superman. The impression he's given is that over time, Clark would have been the disguise for the "real" guy, Superman. That's pretty antithetical to DC's current take on Superman. Ironically enough, Waid would have probably been able to do a lot with the New 52 Superman as Morrison envisioned him. The two of them running the Super books would have likely seen Superman unaffected by Rebirth to a large extent. As a fan of the version we currently have, I'm glad Waid wasn't involved.

I'd love to see a sequel to Birthright, however.
    Meh, I think he could swing it. And Jon's such a breath of fresh air that I think he might be down for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    He's a huge Superman fan, so I can't see him not taking a Superman book because of the version of the character.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This starts my case on why Jason Aaron should write Superman
    I'd be cautious. Seems like he'd craft an epic story... about a sleeveless Superman drinking beer with pa in Hell, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'd be cautious. Seems like he'd craft an epic story... about a sleeveless Superman drinking beer with pa in Hell, haha.
    Cautious? You mean hopeful. That sounds amazing lol

You know it surprises me that dc hasn't snatched up Jason Aaron as of yet or is he marvel exclusive? I would love to see him write Supes.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Waid has written Post-Crisis Superman though. Not much in the main books, but he used Superman in his Justice League run, & Brave and the Bold.

He's a huge Superman fan, so I can't see him not taking a Superman book because of the version of the character.
    Would he like the wife and the kid, though?

honestly if waid doesnt like it than it is probably a good idea...i do not see his appeal and frankly was not impressed with anything of his with big blue

mark miller and dan jungens and grant morrison and hell maybe even zack snyder have a better understanding of supes than him

Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Would he like the wife and the kid, though?
    Maybe not, but that wouldn't stop him from working with them.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

i hope 100 percent that he stays away from supes

He probably won't, but I'd probably like it more than Tomasi and Gleason's 'Superman', and would without doubt would like it more than Jurgen's 'Action Comics '. Considering his writing compared to the writers on the flagship books, I'd probably also find his work to be better for the character in the long run.
    oh yeah because birthright and kingdom come are such masterpieces

here superman is a gary stu and a veggie man

ATOMIC SUPERMAN, EARTH-25 Atomic Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jason white reborn View Post
    honestly if waid doesnt like it than it is probably a good idea...i do not see his appeal and frankly was not impressed with anything of his with big blue

mark miller and dan jungens and grant morrison and hell maybe even zack snyder have a better understanding of supes than him
    You clearly don't know how much Waid knows about Superman and just how much he loves the character. I can't think of anyone (living, at least) who knows and loves the character as much as he does.

As for Snyder, he hates Superman, a fact he publicly admits. He's never made an actual Superman movie; he's instead made a movie about a character that is the summation of how he and David Goiter see Superman. Neither wanted to make a Superman movie, instead deconstructing Superman into a directionless hobo dullard who thinks with his fists and his crotch. Alan Moore's Supreme is more Superman than Snyder's NotSoSuperman, an irony that still amazes me to this day.

ATOMIC SUPERMAN, EARTH-25 Atomic Man's Avatar

This from a guy who thinks Zack Snyder knows Superman better than Mark Waid. Have you actually READ Birthright or KC? I suspect you're one of those types who reads/hears something about a movie or comic from another source and then latches onto it because it's "hip" to bash stuff.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I'm of two minds. Certainly, there's an ideal Waid/Samnee Superman run to be had. But I don't know that Waid's in a place where that's going to happen. Real-world politics and concerns objectively have a place in Superman, he was created to deal with them...but Waid's attempts at telling progressive superhero stories lately have been ruinously awful. Take Champions #3: a story about a teen superhero team fighting Islamic terrorists is an unbelievably dicey proposition from word go, but when when Hulk mentions "I've got a horse in this race too. The idea of anyone keeping anyone from learning drives me extra green" it takes it into the narrative realm of an awful 80s PSA comic, and by the end when they're manufacturing a 'miracle' it ends up a 60s DC title. Plenty of titles and creators at both of the Big Two are dealing with social issues in their books with tact and understanding and conviction, whereas his work in this area of late, from Champions to Strange Fruit, can't seem to think of anything beyond hitting the problem with a cudgel. It's the epitome of a guy making a show of how woke he is while not being nearly as much so as he thinks, and if he took that approach with him to Superman it could no fooling end up Grounded-level terrible. If he just did high-flying moral adventure stories though, and someone like Margueritte Bennett handled "Superman deals with current affairs"-type stories, I think it'd be a new golden age.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 04-19-2017 at 06:43 PM.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar

I like both stories, especially Birthright.

I don't think Kingdom Come presented Superman as this perfect figure. Quite the opposite really, the Superman in Kingdom Come is one that was "broken". As for making Superman a vegetarian in Birthright, I only wish Waid had gone further.

And, you mentioned Mark Millar and Grant Morrison as two writers that got Superman better than Waid, well, both those writers also believe Superman should be a vegetarian. Morrison has said that when he writes Superman, the character is a vegetarian.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

This from a guy who thinks Zack Snyder knows Superman better than Mark Waid. Have you actually READ Birthright or KC? I suspect you're one of those types who reads/hears something about a movie or comic from another source and then latches onto it because it's "hip" to bash stuff.

i have read one of them...kingdom come

it is awful for many reasons(norman kay is a awful protagonist who is of the worst type....a observer) and it was the comic that inspired the worst comic couple i have ever let my eyes on

wonder/supes

if nothing else i would shit on that comic just for that precendent

he is also from "house of meaningless and useless identity politics" marvel...do you really want him to touch superman after being with them?