Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FF7 vs FF8

Default FF7 vs FF8

I've been gone awhile, but I'm back. Been playing a lot of Final Fantasy, so here goes...
    Cloud, Tifa, and Barret from Final Fantasy 7 vs Squall, Rinoa, and Zell from Final Fantasy 8. No summons and no limit breaks. Starting weapons only. Standard Khazan rules apply. Just a good old-fashioned brawl.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

If 'starting weapons only' means they're stuck with their very initial loadouts, then FF7 is in a better position. Cloud has a Bolt materia, and Barret has a gatling gun, while Squall and co. don't even have GFs to junction, and I don't think they have any spells until they hit a Draw Point. Squall's gunsword doesn't appear to work as an actual gun, so Rinoa's disc thing is about the only thing the FF8 cast can use in retaliation while trying to close the initial distance if Barret just immediately opens fire while Cloud spams lightning at them.

I'd enjoy seeing Tifa and Zell trade limit breaks.
    Currently Following:
    Superman, Action Comics, Superwoman, Super Sons, Detective Comics, Batman, Nightwing, Batwoman, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Deathstroke, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Flash, Harley Quinn, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Old Guard, Astonishing X-Men, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Elektra, Gamora, Thunderbolts, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja, Nancy Drew, X-O Manowar

This is where Advent Children comes in very handy.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

BEFORE Cloud got his super soldier treatment, he was ran through by Sephiroth and was lifted up by his wound and he kept fighting.

Squall on the other hand got cut on his forehead in a training duel and passed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    BEFORE Cloud got his super soldier treatment, he was ran through by Sephiroth and was lifted up by his wound and he kept fighting.

Squall on the other hand got cut on his forehead in a training duel and passed out.
    To be fair, he gave Seifer a matching one before passing out, but yeah, Cloud has him beat when it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by jesjesbinks View Post
    I've been gone awhile, but I'm back. Been playing a lot of Final Fantasy, so here goes...
    Cloud, Tifa, and Barret from Final Fantasy 7 vs Squall, Rinoa, and Zell from Final Fantasy 8. No summons and no limit breaks. Starting weapons only. Standard Khazan rules apply. Just a good old-fashioned brawl.
    i was thinking this was a Furious 7 vs Fate of the Furious thread lol.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    If 'starting weapons only' means they're stuck with their very initial loadouts, then FF7 is in a better position. Cloud has a Bolt materia, and Barret has a gatling gun, while Squall and co. don't even have GFs to junction, and I don't think they have any spells until they hit a Draw Point.
    You are right.

Squall gets his first draw point spell just before entering the dungeon where he gets his first GF.

Squall starts with nothing but his gunblade and some healing potions.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    This is where Advent Children comes in very handy.
    My only real gripe about Advent Children is that the movie explained (I believe?) that our heroes power levels' dropped over time (aside from Cloud, obviously) due to inaction and just not using materia. Their feats in the video game were way more impressive, and they were purposely nerfed so that Cloud would do 90% of the fighting for them.

But goddammit, I would've loved a full on team battle of Avalanche (minus Cloud) vs. the Sephiroth splinter trio.
    "Until the lion learns to write, every story will glorify the hunter."
    --African proverb

Any member of FF7 blitz's and one shits everyone from FF8. No impressive cuts scenes can compare. They're not even at FFX levels of superhuman, which is barely that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    My only real gripe about Advent Children is that the movie explained (I believe?) that our heroes power levels' dropped over time (aside from Cloud, obviously) due to inaction and just not using materia. Their feats in the video game were way more impressive, and they were purposely nerfed so that Cloud would do 90% of the fighting for them.

But goddammit, I would've loved a full on team battle of Avalanche (minus Cloud) vs. the Sephiroth splinter trio.
    It was mostly due to being out of shape, or just so used to the peace that their battle sense has gone to shit. Like Gohan from Dragonball.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Physically grabbing an released Black Hole to stop it is like throwing a sandwich at Galactus to stop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I stand by my belief of Toriyama seeing a certain match online and going "Oh Yeah?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    It was mostly due to being out of shape, or just so used to the peace that their battle sense has gone to shit.
    I said that. They grew weaker from inaction, which is synonymous to just not keeping themselves up.

But the primary reason for doing so from the writers standpoint is simply to pile on even more emphasis onto Cloud.
    Last edited by Cyke; 04-19-2017 at 02:37 PM.
    "Until the lion learns to write, every story will glorify the hunter."
    --African proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I said that. They grew weaker from inaction, which is synonymous to just not keeping themselves up.

But the primary reason for doing so from the writers standpoint is simply to pile on even more emphasis onto Cloud.
    Well, with the FFVII-R in development and the gameplay shifting to an action RPG, we'll hopefully get to see what Avalanche was like at their peak.
    Tsubaki: Noel, get ready for tomorrow tonight.

Noel: Why? What're we doing tomorrow night?

Tsubaki: The same thing we do every night---try to get Jin in my pants!

Noel:Ummm...

Also Swuall had one gf in collection at start. The electric sky snake deal. As in 8 you need them to cast magic. Even so, 7 wins easily.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Also Swuall had one gf in collection at start. The electric sky snake deal. As in 8 you need them to cast magic. Even so, 7 wins easily.
    He also had Shiva.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Physically grabbing an released Black Hole to stop it is like throwing a sandwich at Galactus to stop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I stand by my belief of Toriyama seeing a certain match online and going "Oh Yeah?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.