Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    EXACTLY. During Gen X she conferred with Charles as a peer and their conversations were framed as if she was closer to his age than the main X-Men. Which also helped with the Banshee ship teasing when I think about it.

And when Cyke first approached her with his marital problems in Morrison, she called herself "Auntie" Emma.
    Morrison was the one that made her young though.

About the same age as Scott and Jean, and older than Bobby.

"See, now I'm going to live, Professor. Not just for me... but for Annie, too. I'm going to have an amazing life, Professor. For both of us." - Marvel Girl #1(2011)

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Quesada inserted Emma in Jean (and to an extent Charles's place) and gave her a huge push throughout Marvel.
    It was Morrison responsible for Emma's elevated position in the X-Mythos. Even before writing NXM he had said online that he was really interested in playing up her character. I think Quesada saw that was working and gave her a more prominent place in the larger MU, in part to make up for the death of Jean.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Taking time off from 'Marvel Future Fight' on my cell

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Sliding timescale is a weirdness of serial storytelling that I've always been iffy about. Aging up Kitty and aging DOWN Emma, among many things.
    Genkai nante nai
    (No limits)
    Zettai nante nai
    (No absolutes)

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It was Morrison responsible for Emma's elevated position in the X-Mythos. Even before writing NXM he had said online that he was really interested in playing up her character. I think Quesada saw that was working and gave her a more prominent place in the larger MU, in part to make up for the death of Jean.
    Make up for Jean's death? the character that hated Jean just because Jean was more beautiful and powerful than her?
    One of the reasons Jean kept dead all this time is because they shoved Emma on her place.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I don't agree with the sentiment that Cyclops and Jean would've broken up. And even if it did, I don't see her getting together with Wolverine. Early on in Morrison's run, Wolverine said outright that it would never work between them. Even during the Planet X arc, he told Jean that Cyclops still loved her and he "had some growing up to do." Wolverine clearly accepted that he and Jean couldn't work in the long run. I also think he understood that over time, Cyclops and Jean will find a way to work through their issues. They've worked through death, clones, and time-traveling children. I don't see anything in the Morrison run that was insurmountable. The only thing that could've possibly broke them up was death and I think Morrison even knew this to some extent. Even Whedon knew it when he had Emma admit outright that she "ranked below a corpse." While I do think Jean surviving would still lead to some tension between her and Cyclops, I think in the long run they would've worked things out.

This seems to be the main point of contention though. Some believe their marriage would've dissolved. Some believe it would've continued. It may actually warrant a separate thread entirely. But based on the actual content of Morrison's run and the many X-men comics that preceded it, I think it's more likely that the marriage would've remained, assuming Quesada didn't demand it get retconned.

I also don't agree that Schism would've happened in the same way. That was largely a clash between Cyclops and Wolverine. If Jean were present, I don't thinks he would have let it get that severe. Now there still would've been a schism of sorts. But if it was going to be between anyone, it would've been between Jean Grey and Charles Xavier. Xavier trusted Jean to carry on his dream after he stepped down. However, the events of M-Day may change that. She might start making decisions that Xavier doesn't agree with. It could very well lead to a sort of psychic clash of sorts, one that ends with Xavier restarting his school while Jean stays on the west coast. I think thematically, it makes sense that Xavier's star pupil would eventually rebel on him. That would be a much better schism, in my opinion.

I also don't think that Jean's presence precludes Hope's existence. M-Day happens regardless of Jean's presence. So the need to fix it is still there. Hope would probably still be born in the same way. The Messiah Trilogy really wouldn't change that much, but I do think Jean would've handled Cable differently. She might have tried to get him to stay in the present so they could raise the baby. I can see her wanting to protect that child. However, regardless of what she does, it's really hard to say whether AvX would play out. Depending on how Jean would handle Hope, it could set up a very different kind of conflict involving the Phoenix. We can speculate, but the possibilities at that point just become too broad.
    Morrison isn't the final say on any X-men character. I don't think Wolverine and Jean couldn't work out, sh is th elove of his life so I believe he would work much harder than cyclops to make the relationship work.

ALso deaths, time traveler kids are nowhere near the cheating problem. It was a personal choice of cyclops, not some weird variable that they can't control.

Seeing how Morrison viewed Jean as the girl scoout, having a very good heard and he wanting x-men to go edgy with Emma. I really see a fallout for jean/cyclops relationship because of the cheating (it was much more than sex) and Cyclops going militant for the x-men.
    The schism would be Jean x Cyclops, with Wolverine siding with Jean.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 04-21-2017 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    It would have been a lot more interesting having Scott and Emma try to be a couple WHILE Jean is alive versus what they did. It felt like they had to have Jean dead so Quesada can have his hard on for Emma and legitimately keep her with Scott. He hates red heads for whatever reason.

And a lot of the events would have taken a different turn. I'd imagine in the end it would have been Jean's Xavier to Scott's Magneto which would have been awesome and exciting to see. It would have been too organic and made too much sense. Instead we got Wolverine as headmaster to oppose Scott.
    QFT! (oh god I just did that)

Man, there was always something about Joe Q I didn't like, this is one of the big reasons. Emma has always been such a huge turn-off as a so-called 'X-Man' but now that she's gone a little bit back to her roots I think I like her more.

I mean, is there ANY chance or hint of Marvel bringing adult Jean back or are we pretty well stuck with Jeanager?

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    QFT! (oh god I just did that)

Man, there was always something about Joe Q I didn't like, this is one of the big reasons. Emma has always been such a huge turn-off as a so-called 'X-Man' but now that she's gone a little bit back to her roots I think I like her more.

I mean, is there ANY chance or hint of Marvel bringing adult Jean back or are we pretty well stuck with Jeanager?
    stuck with jeen for some time

I never understand why jean grey fans are so angry with emma, like its not that serious. Why cant yall just ship them together like normal people

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    I never understand why jean grey fans are so angry with emma, like its not that serious. Why cant yall just ship them together like normal people
    Since you asked, Jean Grey has always been genuine and sweet. Emma seems like the woman your man cheats on you with because she's got the Playboy Bunny look and lacks certain morals.

I know that's not fair to Emma fans, not trying to start a war, that's just how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Since you asked, Jean Grey has always been genuine and sweet. Emma seems like the woman your man cheats on you with because she's got the Playboy Bunny look and lacks certain morals.

I know that's not fair to Emma fans, not trying to start a war, that's just how I feel.
    So basically you don't know anything about her character since that's apparently all you have to judge her on besides her looks, anyways I really am not bothered by the emma hate most people aren't going to like her just like how most people aren't going to like jean, this thread is slowly gonna turn into a why Jean is better then Emma thread.

Probably the same reasons Cyclops fans are with Wolverine...

So basically you don't know anything about her character since that's apparently all you have to judge her on besides her looks, anyways I really am not bothered by the emma hate most people aren't going to like her just like how most people aren't going to like jean, this thread is slowly gonna turn into a why Jean is better then Emma thread.
    lol probably. I always preferred Emma to Jean personally. I just think she's a more interesting character. Not that I dislike Jean but if I had to choose who I'd rather read about it's no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post

Morrison wasn't fooling anybody with that "I'm only 27 yes old" B.S. -- us old school fans know better than to believe that...
    Last edited by ZNOP; 04-21-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    Time travel is optional.
    "Off panel", is a laughable defense.
    If it wasn't printed... It didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Morrison wasn't fooling anybody with that "I'm only 27 yes old" B.S. -- us old school fans know better than to believe that...
    I actually thought that the only 27 thing was supposed to be bs. As in I assumed Emma was just lying about her age.

Quote Originally Posted by MeloDet View Post
    I actually thought that the only 27 thing was supposed to be bs. As in I assumed Emma was just lying about her age.
    She wasn't lying shown in her solo that showed her origins when she saw the O5 on tv when she was younger she was around the same age as them, she simply de-aged just as with many comic characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    lol probably. I always preferred Emma to Jean personally. I just think she's a more interesting character. Not that I dislike Jean but if I had to choose who I'd rather read about it's no contest.
    This is how I feel I'm pretty much indifferent to Jean I don't hate her nor do I love her.

The purpose of this thread was to explore a hypothetical scenario, not to bash Emma or Jean. I love both of these characters. Both of them bring something different to the table. Jean was more of a diplomat while Emma was more of a teacher and protector. It just so happened that the x-men would end up needing a diplomat more than a teacher through modern continuity. That's not a shortcoming for Emma, it's just how it worked out. To the credit of the stories somehow Marvel found two completely opposite women who provided a great contrast between the classic and modern era's of the x-men.