Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    He still became a criminal, though. Was it without knowing about Batman?
    IIRC he learned about Batman in prison (which he was in not for comitting crimes but for being born) and broke out to go fight him for extremely vaguely defined reasons.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Spectacular Member

I think the majority of batmans rogue gallery would have still been criminals anyway, the only villain with a genuine link in that regard is the joker and even he was still the red hood beforehand, as others a have said the theory that batman is the cause of the villainy in Gotham is not true in my opinion, Gotham was bad for crime long before Bruce finally took up the mantle, with the likes of the Falcone, Maroni and Sullivan families running rampant until he took the fight to them.

If anything all batman did was escalate the amount of crimes, with many of his villains doing acts of crime in Gotham to simply lure him into a trap or some other crazy scheme.

Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

I want a "What if Batman Didn't Exist" series for Bane! What would his objection be?

You could also argue that Batman gives them someone to focus on outside of regular people. Like maybe some of them would have 50X higher body count if they didn't spend so much time specifically scheming against Batman.

Catwoman might have become a more unrepentant and brutal criminal and thief without her affection for Batman or his influence tempting her to work on the right side of the law or use her skills to help people.

She might not have even become Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Heart View Post
    I want a "What if Batman Didn't Exist" series for Bane! What would his objection be?
    His objection? That he's in prison because his mother was in prison when he was born.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Catwoman might have become a more unrepentant and brutal criminal and thief without her affection for Batman or his influence tempting her to work on the right side of the law or use her skills to help people.

She might not have even become Catwoman.
    Yeah, totally forgot about Selina!

She probably wouldn't have becoming Catwoman - at least going by the Year One origin, wherein she put on the suit because she was inspired by Batman.

Even Pre-COIE, she started out as an ordinary jewel thief ('the Cat') and probably only created the costumed persona of Catwoman after she encountered Batman.

I think I've figred out one villain who wouldn't exist without Batman...

...Harley.

Think about it, without Batman Red Hood doesn't fall into a vat at Ace Chemicals and becomes The Joker, and no Joker means Harleen Quinzel doesn't fall madly in love with him and turns to a life of crime to gain his affections, which means she doesn't become Harley Quinn.

Even some takes on her origin have Batman playing a pivotal role, such as the moment where he brings in a battered and bruised Joker, which spurs Harley to don her costume and break Joker out of Arkham.

Now, sometimes Harleen is depicted as being sleazy or with looser morals prior to becoming a costumed criminal, but nothing to the extent of what she's done helping the Joker as a Supervillain.

So, however indirectly, without Batman Harley Quinn probably would not have existed.

And another thing...would Langstrom have done the experiments that transformed him into Man-Bat without Batman's inspiration? I know that's played a part in some takes on his origin.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

In the original canon, Batman had nothing to do with the lab accident that created Mr. Freeze. Also, I don't think he had anything to do with how Poison Ivy came about either. As for minor bad guys, can Bats be blamed for the likes of the Mad Hatter, Clock King or the Ventriloquist? I don't think so.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!