Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 94

Thread: Superman#21

  1. #1
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,075

    Default Superman#21

    Well...that was a Wham! issue

    spoilers:
    Loads of action in this one, courtesy of the Squid from issue two resurfacing and causing all manners of chaos. Superman, Jon, and Damien tackle it, Supes tells a concerned reporter that they're not exterminators, but the squid suddenly gets a second wind and attacks, injuring the reporter. Jon loses it and uses his heat vision to cut up the squid. The town authorities praise Jon, but are annoyed that he had to do what Superman would not. Clark and Jon have a few words afterwards and Clark learns from Jon and Damien about the abandoned house and gas found in Deadman's Swamp. Supes takes off and tells Jon to go home.

    Jon and Damien get into a skirmish when Damien proposes they take the Batmobile and find Batman. Kathy arrives and saves Jon from Damien by force-choking him. Jon's heat vision goes off but it deflects off of Kathy before shutting off, Kathy tells him "he" will keep him safe until it's time and that he is special. Superman enters the house on DeadMan's Swamp
    end of spoilers

    Overall, a sound issue with several amusing moments between Jon and Damien, some sage advice from Clark to Jon about choosing what to do with your own fear...and the ending made me a bit sad, as it definitely likely means we won't be seeing much more of Jon's unique friendships he's gained in Hamilton by arc's end
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-19-2017 at 01:15 AM.

  2. #2
    Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    A New Frontier
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    So now I'm thinking:

    spoilers:
    Everyone in Hamilton that's a authority figure of some sort is working with Cobb. I thought it was just the doctor, but the cop's reaction made me change my mind.
    end of spoilers
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

  3. #3
    So much HYPE dawg! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,535

    Default

    I'm doubling down on my theory of the "he" Kathy is talking about being a future Jon Kent.

    Apparently this guy has the power to selectively give and take away Jon's powers.

    Clark more or less quotes Pa from Man of Steel (pretty awesome btw), and I think it's foreshadowing the cross roads nature of this arc and their time in Hamilton. If a bad future Jon is at the end of this pulling strings, then I think this is where the path that leads to his future starts.

    Hamilton really is like a miniature of a "simpler time." So I can't wait to see how Tomasi and Gleason write the "real world" when they move the family.

    I wonder if "Superman Black" is able to give others powers or bring out dormant powers in people?

  4. #4
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Long time lurker, first time poster.

    I just wanted to say I loved this issue. I really like how Tomasi are giving Jon his own rouges gallery, that'll pay off dividends down the road. You can really tell that Damian is really warming up to Jon over the past arcs. Which was a bit jarring reading Supersons #3 which takes place before this arc. So interested in the evolution of these characters (Damian and Jon) it's making every issue a must read, feels like every issue is a must read because each issue Jon is getting so much development. Rambling on now, anyway, loved this issue! I want more!

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,070

    Default

    Well... all of that was a surprise. Loved it.

  6. #6
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Quite liked this one once again. Tomasi and Gleason make every scene focusing on the Superfamily enjoyable and throwing Damian into the mix makes this even better. Plus, the plot progresses satisfactorily with interesting twists.

    Art was stunning as well.

  7. #7
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Quite liked this one once again. Tomasi and Gleason make every scene focusing on the Superfamily enjoyable and throwing Damian into the mix makes this even better. Plus, the plot progresses satisfactorily with interesting twists.

    Art was stunning as well.
    But it wasn't really about the Super family. Lois was, again, sidelined. She had two lines of no substance and was totally absent for the rest of the issue. How is Tomasi serving the family well if the female member of the family is left out like this? Why doesn't she get to be part of this?

    Lois is an investigator. That's what she does. Would the Lois we know really sit home on the farm and be content letting everyone else solve a mystery?

  8. #8
    Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    A New Frontier
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Lois is an investigator. That's what she does. Would the Lois we know really sit home on the farm and be content letting everyone else solve a mystery?
    It goes a bit deeper than that.

    Lois is supposed to be a investigative journalist. What does it say about her that she's been living in a town where all this shady stuff has been happening, possibly with several key figures in town not being on the level, and her being oblivious to all of it?

    Of course, the same applies to Clark, but he's got the whole Superman thing to fall back on.

    We're still early into the story, so there may very well be an explanation for all this, but until then, it doesn't look good for how Tomasi/Gleason are handling that aspect of the story.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,412

    Default

    I think Tomasi and Gleason are doing super work with the family. I couldn't really give 2 figs about whether Lois is getting in on the action since she isn't the reason for me picking up the title.

    The Superman office is killing it for the 1st time in forever so not sure why some people wanna trash the good work. Tomasi and Gleason are doing such stellar work and they are doing wonders with Damian.

    This issue was interesting sure didn't see the twist at the end coming and really enjoyed Robin fighting alongside the Supers.

  10. #10
    Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    A New Frontier
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    The Superman office is killing it for the 1st time in forever so not sure why some people wanna trash the good work. Tomasi and Gleason are doing such stellar work and they are doing wonders with Damian.
    Could be that they don't think it's good work, or it could that they enjoy the books but are critical of certain aspects.

    I'm sure you already know that you can like something while not liking everything about it.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

  11. #11
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Not sure how to post spoilers so if someone could assist that would be appreciated. I have a question but it may be related to the plot of this weeks book. Thanks in advance.

  12. #12
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    It goes a bit deeper than that.

    Lois is supposed to be a investigative journalist. What does it say about her that she's been living in a town where all this shady stuff has been happening, possibly with several key figures in town not being on the level, and her being oblivious to all of it?

    Of course, the same applies to Clark, but he's got the whole Superman thing to fall back on.

    We're still early into the story, so there may very well be an explanation for all this, but until then, it doesn't look good for how Tomasi/Gleason are handling that aspect of the story.
    I'm bothered that the two best investigative journalists in the world apparently need Batman to tell them that something is wrong. This story would be so much more compelling to me if it was Lois and Clark chasing leads to solve this.

    I agree it's early days and I'm trying to be patient. But I'm losing faith, guys. I'm sorry to be a buzzkill. :/

  13. #13
    Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    A New Frontier
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDR123 View Post
    Not sure how to post spoilers so if someone could assist that would be appreciated. I have a question but it may be related to the plot of this weeks book. Thanks in advance.
    You got to use spoiler tags, like this:

    [spoil*]Insert spoilers here[/spoil]

    Remove the * and post whatever you want between the tags.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

  14. #14
    Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    A New Frontier
    Posts
    2,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I agree it's early days and I'm trying to be patient. But I'm losing faith, guys. I'm sorry to be a buzzkill. :/
    No need to apologize to me of all people, I'm the biggest buzzkill here.
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

  15. #15
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I think Tomasi and Gleason are doing super work with the family. I couldn't really give 2 figs about whether Lois is getting in on the action since she isn't the reason for me picking up the title.

    The Superman office is killing it for the 1st time in forever so not sure why some people wanna trash the good work. Tomasi and Gleason are doing such stellar work and they are doing wonders with Damian.

    This issue was interesting sure didn't see the twist at the end coming and really enjoyed Robin fighting alongside the Supers.

    So because you "couldn't give two figs" about the female lead of the franchise being underused that means that those of us who are concerned about it and are sharing our genuine concern can't share it? Comics are supposed to be inclusive. You may not care about her being treated well but plenty of people DO and it's not like DC has "sales" to spare here.

    And no one is "trashing" the book. At least, I'm not. There is a lot I like about this book but I read 3 Superman family books today and Lois Lane had literally 2 lines in one of them and was a non issue for the others. This concerns me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •