Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Superman#21

I think its highly likely at this point. The future Jon theory, while intriguing and probably more interesting, I think takes a back seat right now in regards to likelihood just based on what we've seen on page thus far. But if its anything on par with him crafting the whole town in a way, Black as the villain becomes more interesting in of itself.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

I agree. If it's a situation where Black has crafted this town and is using Jon's power all in service of making one big rebuttal to Superman's point to him in "What's So Funny..," then I'm very much in. Chester becomes a much more fascinating foe if he's willing to go to these lengths to formulate a rebuttal, and create a commentary. That's a version of him that goes beyond the run-of-the-mill parody of new millennium superheroes vs Superman. He'd become a character that uses the very thing that created him, parody/commentary, as a weapon/tool to fight Superman. That's a Manchester Black story I wouldn't mind reading.

Edit: But future Jon still has much more inherent interest behind it. Though, thinking about it more, that's likely something you want to save in the chamber for a few more arcs.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-19-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Rookie Member

Wasn't Manchester black in the previously volume of teen titans as a member of star labs?

He was, and he was very underwhelming. Basically the story of any character unfortunate enough to get roped into the New 52 Teen titans.

I'm guessing--if they're using Black--Tomasi, Gleason, and the crew took a look at Black's Titans appearance, laughed, and said "yeah, no, f#%k that."

That's my way of saying they'll likely be disregarding that particular chapter in the character's life

My one requisite for enjoying Manchester Black was that he never showed up again, because naturally he'd get a humorless opportunity to turn the tables. That was Endless Battle and I imagine any other use of him. If they're using him now and doing something along the same lines, at least the set up is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    My one requisite for enjoying Manchester Black was that he never showed up again, because naturally he'd get a humorless opportunity to turn the tables. That was Endless Battle and I imagine any other use of him. If they're using him now and doing something along the same lines, at least the set up is strong.
    The character basically screamed "one off." The point of the story--Action issue 775--was made well enough, and the characters in it did a good job. Making him come back seems pretty ill advised.

But, as you say, the set up is quite strong. If it is him, it seems like he's graduated from "arrogant new brand of justice anti hero" and more into something with it's own legs to stand on.

Darth Kathy is scary! That was one nasty chokehold. It seems Jon is filled with fear so to use another Star Wars reference, I think Clark would've been better off borrowing one of Yoda's quotes while lecturing Jon. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. This is very short and direct.

I think this arc will be very interesting. I'm eager to find out how Supes will impart his beliefs on the sanctity of life to his young and impressionable son. The use of lethal force is a weighty matter. Jon should remember what happened with Goldie. Killing a cat by accident was scarring enough not to mention killing another living being on purpose.

ATOMIC SUPERMAN, EARTH-25 Atomic Man's Avatar

I think it's obvious that Manchester Black is behind all of this, along with the rest of The Elite. The milk from last issue made screeching sounds and looked similar in appearance to Menagerie's symbeasts, which are shapeshifters. Cobb might be Coldcast and all of Hamilton could very well be a creation of The Hat's magic.

I do also think it's possible Kathy is Vera Black, that's the first thought I had when I saw that she was in on the whole thing.

Great issue, as usual, but as I read it, I totally forgot I was reading Superman and not Super Sons LOL. Both titles are pretty much interchangeable nowadays.

love both superman and super sons

A great issue. Kathy being a part of this whole swamp mystery is the last thing I expected. Didn't expect a connection to the Dinosaur Island story here. The "he" Kathy mentioned must be controlling Kathy and Cobb. I like it when Damian calls Clark Superdad.

Surely the mystery character was meant to invoke The Comedian from Watchmen? Cigarettes, mustache, that mask... I sincerely hope it's just smoke and mirrors, as I'm still holding out hope that the Watchmen characters will have a minimal impact on the whole Rebirth thing except for as some kind of metaphor, but in the few panels he appeared I found it hard not to think of Edward Blake.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Nightwing, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Surely the mystery character was meant to invoke The Comedian from Watchmen? Cigarettes, mustache, that mask... I sincerely hope it's just smoke and mirrors, as I'm still holding out hope that the Watchmen characters will have a minimal impact on the whole Rebirth thing except for as some kind of metaphor, but in the few panels he appeared I found it hard not to think of Edward Blake.
    Yeah the way the art was framed it was clearly meant to make us think it was The Comedian. The shadows invoking a mask around the eyes. The mustache and cigar. I saw that and nearly marked out.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    What was the deal with the wooden leg though? Wasn't that a call to the soldier on dinosaur island? Could it be a new villain?

I liked the issue as a whole, but a couple things bugged me. Superman telling the "kids" to suit up, bugged the hell out of me. Also, they are in the small town of Hamilton. They look just like Clark and Jon Kent and no one is putting it together that they are Superman and Superboy. That would never happen in a small town. I realize it's fiction, but come on.

This is how I feel about Jon in these books.