Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 208
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Trinity #8 Discussion

    What did people think of this? I like how they describe new 52 Superman's life as being a shadow of truth, which I think makes sense. It's funny people were mentioning the trunks in another thread when we see two different Superman wearing them in a spread in this issue, though it could mean nothing. Overall, I liked it, even though nothing actually happened.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,939

    Default

    Haven't read the full thing, but looked at the highlights of it from Bleeding Cool.

    Loved that spread.

  3. #3
    Hi-Fi Fight Club Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    2,733

    Default

    It was very meta.

    Message of the issue? New 52 Superman fans and Post-Crisis Superman fans need to stop sniping at each other because we're ruining things for the fans (the injured civilians) that just want to enjoy Superman stories without getting caught between of New 52 bashing/Post-Crisis bashing, New 52 is better/Post-Crisis is better fans, who are destorying what we claim to want to protect and care about.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 04-19-2017 at 05:14 AM.
    Creativity without constraint comes with responsibility. We do not make art in a vacuum isolated from sociopolitical context - RG

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member Lvenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    266

    Default

    A seriously meta issue, the comment about New 52 Superman being a shadow of the truth might annoy New 52 fans. This was definitely a Rebirth heavy issue, the Trinity keeping all this secret from the League is going to have big consequences down the line.

  5. #5
    Always Rakzo
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    3,400

    Default

    I have been pleasently surprised by Bunn's little run. Quite solid stories with appropriate characterization although is not clear what is the connection between this chapter and the last one, it seemed like Bunn just wanted to reference the nature of Rebirth.

    Loved the art as well.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    A seriously meta issue, the comment about New 52 Superman being a shadow of the truth might annoy New 52 fans. This was definitely a Rebirth heavy issue, the Trinity keeping all this secret from the League is going to have big consequences down the line.
    Probably, but it's the truth in this case. Those stories happened, but obviously Superman was tampered with in those years.

  7. #7
    Super Member GSman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Where you least expect
    Posts
    815

    Default

    I thought it was alright. I wondered if we'd see what the relationship was between Clark and Diana and if they were involved in the past, but we didn't so it might be gone.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    I thought it was alright. I wondered if we'd see what the relationship was between Clark and Diana and if they were involved in the past, but we didn't so it might be gone.
    I honestly think it's gonna be swept under the rug and not referenced until a writer feels the need to mention it.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2,939

    Default

    So the trio are keeping secrets from the leauge...when will Bruce and Barry bring Clark and Diana up to speed on their investigation into the comedian's button? I mean, Bruce does take a licking because of it in today's Batman...

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member sakuyamons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,004

    Default

    The Trinity hiding things from the League? That will end well.

    Nice issue! Very meta, loved the scene with the "AU" Supes, Wondy and Bats. It's genuinely one of the titles I enjoy the most

  11. #11
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    So, roll-call of the alternate Supermen, Batmen and Wonder Women...?

    I identified these so far.


    New Earth 2 Superman
    Original Siegal/Shuster Superman
    New 52 Superman (with T-shirt and jeans)
    Pre-Flashpoint Superman (?) [not sure which one specifically, but there were two who had a modern look, but with trunks]

    Bronze Age 'Diana Prince'
    New 52 Wonder Woman
    Pre-COIE Wonder Woman
    Odyssey Wonder Woman

    666 Batman/Damien Wayne
    New 52 Batman
    Pre-Flashpoint 'Year One' Batman [at least two of them wearing some version of that suit]
    'New Look' Batman [at least two of them wearing the yellow oval]

  12. #12
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    The Trinity hiding things from the League? That will end well.

    Nice issue! Very meta, loved the scene with the "AU" Supes, Wondy and Bats. It's genuinely one of the titles I enjoy the most

    Definitly very meta.

    Two things that made me think a lot...
    First there was a very clear reference to Secret Empire and Steve Rogers by Batman. "Just by tweaking small elements of your life, they could essentially weaponize even the basic concept of Nature vs Nurture" which is exactly what is happening in Marvel.

    Second...there is something oddly evocative of Infinite Crisis 1 around all the issue.
    Trinity together alone and discussing, the menace that someone is trying to keep them apart, they are keeping secrets from the rest of JL., Wonder Woman with her cape, the fortess of solitude crystals and those of the exhile dimension of E2 Superman and Lois, Alex Luthor and Superboy prime; the reality shattering punches of superboy and these alternative versions of the trinity; the way they are being monitorized in the end of the issue by someone that we don't know their real purpose but can be a looming threat.

    The one thing that I liked more is that they became aware that they and their reality could be being manipulated for a long time and they were not aware of that.
    I really don't know if Cullen Bunn is aware of the plans of Geoff Johns... but since that 10 years were removed from continuity, in real world time that would put us again circa 2006. And even more interesting...could it be that they everyone is being manipulated from even before ...like in Crisis in the Infinite Earths linking it to the end of Watchmen (more less the same time) and the words of Manhattan repeated in the end of rebirth special?
    Last edited by Heinrich Mahler; 04-19-2017 at 10:09 AM.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member sakuyamons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    2,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    So, roll-call of the alternate Supermen, Batmen and Wonder Women...?

    I identified these so far.


    New Earth 2 Superman
    Original Siegal/Shuster Superman
    New 52 Superman (with T-shirt and jeans)
    Pre-Flashpoint Superman (?) [not sure which one specifically, but there were two who had a modern look, but with trunks]

    Bronze Age 'Diana Prince'
    New 52 Wonder Woman
    Pre-COIE Wonder Woman
    Odyssey Wonder Woman

    666 Batman/Damien Wayne
    New 52 Batman
    Pre-Flashpoint 'Year One' Batman [at least two of them wearing some version of that suit]
    'New Look' Batman [at least two of them wearing the yellow oval]
    Post-COIE Wondy was there as well. I think.

  14. #14
    Incredible Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    748

    Default

    I did not like it (not much of a surprise, I guess), mainly because of of how even now D.C. can green-light snipe at the New 52 Superman. The mention of a "shadow of a truth" to describe it was awful and keep making me feel unwanted by D.C. when it comes to Superman. Knowing that I had kept only Trinity and New Super-Man on my pull list, I guess I'll just reduce it to New Super-Man, which has a very New 52's vibe to it.

  15. #15
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I did not like it (not much of a surprise, I guess), mainly because of of how even now D.C. can green-light snipe at the New 52 Superman. The mention of a "shadow of a truth" to describe it was awful and keep making me feel unwanted by D.C. when it comes to Superman. Knowing that I had kept only Trinity and New Super-Man on my pull list, I guess I'll just reduce it to New Super-Man, which has a very New 52's vibe to it.
    Well, there's nothing new there about the "shadow of a truth" thing. That's been the whole POINT of Rebirth.

    Its been established in-story already that New 52 Superman was a 'stripped down' Superman who's timeline was corrupted by external influences...just like everyone's timelines have been corrupted.

    Hell, the notion that Nuperman's life wasn't what his life SHOULD have been was played around with as early as Morrison's run...with Morrison having established that Vyndktv, by killing the Kents prematurely, irrevocably altered the course of Superman's life.

    But the spread of the multitude of alternate versions of the Trinity served to cement the fact that the New 52 Superman was a 'legit' multiversal variant of Superman - much like, say, the Earth 2 Superman (both of them). He had a life and it did matter...even if that life was created by someone messing around with Superman's life.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •