Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Also this wasn't in secret empire #0 but in the prelude to the zero issue of Steve Rogers #16 spoiler warning!!!

But it showed Maria hill finding out the truth and then being ambushed by hydra agents then she contacts Rick jones while the hydra goons chase her but he ultimately sides with Steve when Steve contacts him in the middle of the conflict and while we see Maria being trapped by hydra goons who block her pathway but we're not shown any wounds to her or shown her being killed? So does this mean she managed to escape with help? Or she was captured? Or killed off screen? Oh please let it not be a off panel death that would be such a disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Bob's not so comical anymore. And he's not exactly "Bob", either. His true identity has been awakened but I won't spoil what mystery villain Bob really is.
    You can't start a spoiler thread then hold back on the spoilers :P

Seriously though, threads like this are the only reason I know half of what's happening in the MU

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I hope Carol punishes Steve at the end of the story she needs to put him in his place for trying to manipulate her and getting people killed then say YAS QUEEN!

Controversial opinion but Steve got more people killed since standoff ended then Carol ever did during civil war ii I don't know why I'm turning this into a Carol was right argument but I am lol.
    So when Carol comes off bad in event its bad writing, and wrong and you shouldn't hate her for it.

But when they make Captain America a literal Nazi despite Steve being the exact opposite SINCE THE COVER OF HIS FIRST ISSUE, its open season?

Good to know.

Mighty Member

I loved this issue. It was the best comic I have read since the Vision series ended. People should follow this series even if they have event fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    To address the biggest question some might have - I believe it's absolutely clear that reality itself was never changed and that we're still dealing with Steve's altered memories. In Steve's new memories, the idea is implanted back in 1945 that his life in service of Democracy was the fake all along - an illusion created thanks to the Allies' use of the Cosmic Cube - and that his new memories of Hydra is the "truth" that's been reawakened in him.

But this is just the way that Kobik has made all this plausible in Steve's mind, the way that he can reconcile the memories of two realities. Because we're seeing this from Steve's perception, some might wonder themselves whether if reality has been altered as he believes but, no, I'm certain that's not the case. This is all just so we can understand why Steve believes what he does - not to make us question the established reality of the MU.
    That Kotaku article got a lot of people in hysterics so thanks for actually explaining that plot point lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

I liked this issue. I wasn't actually sure how everything was going to tie together (which is good, i mean, I like speculating about what's coming as much as anyone, probably more than most, but i like being surprised) Like, the planetary shield, I knew it tied into his plan, but not exactly sure HOW, and trapping all the cosmic heroes on the other side was a great move. I mean, sucks to be them, but strategically.

It's looking like Tony and Riri will be instrumental in stopping him. I wonder if Steve, even with his intricate planning, could have anticipated the one two punch AI Tony and Riri after (probably) orchestrating Civil War 2 to take Tony out of the picture, presumably at least in part because he knew Tony was smart enough and knew him well enough to figure things out. (though he also needed the superhero community in a weakened state, of course. but I don't think it is a coincidence that he arranged to have 2 of the smartest people in the MU eliminated.) I mean, he obviously is aware of them now, and did manage to keep them distracted for a while there, but by the end they seemed to be the only ones to piece things together without having it explicitly shown to them. AI tony will be either especially hard, or especially easy to stop, due to being tied to a computer rather than a flesh and blood body. On the one hand, he is pretty much immune to physical harm when controlling a suit, if one is destroyed he just jumps to another. But if they find the computer his brain is in, he's fucked.

I liked how Maria hill was handled here as well. Spencer had spent all this time discrediting her in a way that worked well with her character, and then, finally, it bit her in the ass when it mattered the most. So now all of a sudden she's gone from villified to scrappy freedom fighter vs an oppressive regime. Still doesn't make many of her past decisions right, of course.

And yes, I thought the explanation of what exactly changed was handled well. Keeps continuity intact, while explaining away any inconsistencies that go against the Hydra reality warp.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-19-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Also this wasn't in secret empire #0 but in the prelude to the zero issue of Steve Rogers #16 spoiler warning!!!

But it showed Maria hill finding out the truth and then being ambushed by hydra agents then she contacts Rick jones while the hydra goons chase her but he ultimately sides with Steve when Steve contacts him in the middle of the conflict and while we see Maria being trapped by hydra goons who block her pathway but we're not shown any wounds to her or shown her being killed? So does this mean she managed to escape with help? Or she was captured? Or killed off screen? Oh please let it not be a off panel death that would be such a disappointment.
    No way Hill dies off-panel.

Not even remotely possible, so don't worry - she's fine.

I get the gist of what has been happing recently, but should one read any thing prior to this issue, or can I jump right in with issue #0?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I liked this issue. I wasn't actually sure how everything was going to tie together (which is good, i mean, I like speculating about what's coming as much as anyone, probably more than most, but i like being surprised) Like, the planetary shield, I knew it tied into his plan, but not exactly sure HOW, and trapping all the cosmic heroes on the other side was a great move. I mean, sucks to be them, but strategically.
    Steve's plan for the planetary shield was one of the things I was most curious about going into this issue and I loved how utterly simple yet cunning his use for it was. I never saw it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm sure plenty of people will be mad at Steve, but really it's not his fault. He didn't ask to be manipuled by a cosmic cube. He's a victim too.
    Yea he's a victim in this, but he really needs to get his smug ass kicked. That's the only way there will be a satisfying moment in this event after putting us through over a year of Captain Hydra being so smug about everything he's been doing, just like Osborn getting a shield to the face in Siege. Call it cathartic. Kobik can fix him up when she gets back to fix her mess.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Joe View Post
    I get the gist of what has been happing recently, but should one read any thing prior to this issue, or can I jump right in with issue #0?
    All of Captain America: Steve Rogers, there are some Thunderbolts issues as well.

Astonishing Member

You could jump right in and follow along just fine. Which at this point might be your best bet if you don't want to spend a lot of time catching up.

However, this issue definitely has more of an impact if you've read the Steve Rogers: Captain America run.

I think most issue 0's are designed so that people can theoretically jump in if they need to.

But you are missing out on what was a pretty incredible journey getting here. This was perhaps the best built up marvel event I've ever seen. I obviously can't say how good the actual event will be because it's only just started... but the build up at least is as good if not better than any event marvel has ever put out IMO.

>I really enjoyed this 1st... er... 0th... 0st... issue. Steve is brutal and efficient yet his humanity is still there, esp. with Sharon. I think that's even more frightening than having him be a mustache-twirling fascist or a Joker psycho Nazi.
    >A bit annoyed that New York is attacked not once but twice this issue. Attack somewhere else for once, bad guys.
    >I didn't think any prior reading was necessary for this issue. Everything was perfectly explained.
    >Really looking forward to the rest of this event esp. since we won't have another one for a blissful year and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    >I really enjoyed this 1st... er... 0th... 0st... issue. Steve is brutal and efficient yet his humanity is still there, esp. with Sharon. I think that's even more frightening than having him be a mustache-twirling fascist or a Joker psycho Nazi.
    >A bit annoyed that New York is attacked not once but twice this issue. Attack somewhere else for once, bad guys.
    >I didn't think any prior reading was necessary for this issue. Everything was perfectly explained.
    >Really looking forward to the rest of this event esp. since we won't have another one for a blissful year and a half.
    I think it had to be New York. If the idea is to draw in and shut down the hero community, that's the place to do it. Doing it in Chicago or whatever won't net Steve the same number of fish in his net.