Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

But at least it was kept in the same wheelhouse. Far as I know Sideways has nothing to do with Krypton, Superman, or that whole corner of the DCU.

Gotta admit to a big bias though, Im a hardcore Super-fan so I take stuff concerning his mythos more personally than I would a lot of other IP's.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Discipline = Freedom.

Invincible: The greatest superhero comic in the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    So Damage and The Immortal Men were originally gonna come out in October but are now coming out in December, and Silencer and Sideways were originally gonna come out in September is now coming out in January.

New Challengers were suppose to come in December, but it's possible it's coming out in February along with maybe The Terrifics.
    Quoting myself b/c apparently The Terrifics come out in January, Brimstone comes out in February, and The Unexpected in March.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Killspeed looks pretty awesome! I hope she has a big role in the Sideways title. Actually his supporting cast looks pretty awesome and I hope they all stick around.
    Doesn't she, I love her look and I love the fact that Killspeed's short, I feel like most female heroes are statuesque.

One of the things that caught my eye is that she is starting out as a supporting character, usually our favorite heroes only have non-meta supporting characters and meta villains, and maybe down the line a meta human is introduced after our protagonist is established etc.

I'm ready for this book already, I want another Jaime Reyes and Robbie Reyes to read about and Derek's villains are very interesting b/c I believe two of them are probably not even technically "villains"

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    Am I the only one who wants The Terrifics to be a team of super-scientists. I can imagine Mister Terrific, The Atom, Firestorm (If Stein was 1/2 of Firestorm) and Doctor Light (Kimiyo Hoshi) having an analytical discussion go anything scientific.
    Aren't they already a group of scientist, I should probably check some of these characters wiki.

Doctor Light (Kimiyo) would make a fantastic addition, and her costume already matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Black Zero cult? The last time I heard about a Black Zero cult they were involved with the destruction of a planet.
    Hmm, then I wonder if the cult in Sideways worships the inverse/blob of dark matter and if that blob is capable of essentially destroying a planet, and maybe that's a spin on a name/event etc.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 10-16-2017 at 12:05 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Dark Matter is thought to make up a lot of space, so you could say it's a black zero. You might be on to something with that.

All-New Member

Wow, the dark matter line is bigger than I originally thought. So many new titles to look forward to, and with great teams backing them...my pull list is gonna double in size!

Mighty Member

One of the things that caught my eye is that she is starting out as a supporting character, usually our favorite heroes only have non-meta supporting characters and meta villains, and maybe down the line a meta human is introduced after our protagonist is established etc.
    An aside, but I'm happy to see I'm not the only person who's every picked up that pattern when it comes to a lot of solo heroes, especially young/younger heroes.

Static/Virgil and Richie/Gear from the Static Shock cartoon are good examples of both the former and the latter. Though in the case of the latter, I have heard in the past that the reason they made Gear was out of writer necessity (finding reasons to keep the two close when one was a hero and the other a civilian was getting tougher for them to do and justify), though I am glad they did, regardless of the reasoning.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-16-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    An aside, but I'm happy to see I'm not the only person who's every picked up that pattern when it comes to a lot of solo heroes, especially young/younger heroes.

Static/Virgil and Richie/Gear from the Static Shock cartoon are good examples of both the former and the latter. Though in the case of the latter, I have heard in the past that the reason they made Gear was out of writer necessity (finding reasons to keep the two close when one was a hero and the other a civilian was getting tougher for them to do and justify), though I am glad they did, regardless of the reasoning.
    I'm glad I'm not the only that's noticed cause I can figure why that pattern is the case i.e not wanting to take away from the hero, but it's very predictable, same thing with love interests always being non-meta or anti-hero/villain which I think is a thing b/c of easy conflicts but it's at the point where I think it's a way to be lazy in writing.

~~

DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

If anybody was confused about the covers, here is how they work.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...oes-will-work/

~~

~~

Mighty Member

I'm glad I'm not the only that's noticed cause I can figure why that pattern is the case i.e not wanting to take away from the hero, but it's very predictable, same thing with love interests always being non-meta or anti-hero/villain which I think is a thing b/c of easy conflicts but it's at the point where I think it's a way to be lazy in writing.
    For the former, them not wanting to "upstage" the hero in a solo series is like the reason behind the pattern. Once again, that makes Static Shock a surprising yet happy exception, even if it came about for differing base reasons.

I didn't pay as much attention to the latter, but thinking it over after hearing it said aloud (or read; you know what I mean), that is a recurring thing, isn't it? The non-meta love interest who isn't villainous doesn't quite explain the anti-villain/villain love interest trend, outside "bad boy/bad girl" trend, or occasional reasons beyond "bad boy/bad girl".

For the former, them not wanting to "upstage" the hero in a solo series is like the reason behind the pattern. Once again, that makes Static Shock a surprising yet happy exception, even if it came about for differing base reasons.

I didn't pay as much attention to the latter, but thinking it over after hearing it said aloud (or read; you know what I mean), that is a recurring thing, isn't it? The non-meta love interest who isn't villainous doesn't quite explain the anti-villain/villain love interest trend, outside "bad boy/bad girl" trend, or occasional reasons beyond "bad boy/bad girl".
    I am surprised love triangles aren't prominent considering the love interests aspect, as you just mentioned the anti-hero/villain love interests are like the typical bad boy/girl, while the non-meta love interests are kind of reminiscent of the girl/boy next door, it's very much the same archetype, and both the "bad boy/girl" and "girl/boy next door" are always played aginst each other in tv and movies, but in comics since triangles are not as common as you'd think the non-meta love interests conflict falls more into fridging and secrets being kept from them as well as writers using that to show the whole dual identity double life thing of our hero, while the anti-hero/villain love interests conflict falls into the morals not matching up with our hero protagonist and just our hero dealing with temptation.

~~

~~

Scott Snyder doesn't talk about Challengers in interviews or on Twitter, I hope development of that book is still going well.

Mighty Member

I am surprised love triangles aren't prominent considering the love interests aspect, as you just mentioned the anti-hero/villain love interests are like the typical bad boy/girl, while the non-meta love interests are kind of reminiscent of the girl/boy next door, it's very much the same archetype, and both the "bad boy/girl" and "girl/boy next door" are always played aginst each other in tv and movies, but in comics since triangles are not as common as you'd think the non-meta love interests conflict falls more into fridging and secrets being kept from them as well as writers using that to show the whole dual identity double life thing of our hero, while the anti-hero/villain love interests conflict falls into the morals not matching up with our hero protagonist and just our hero dealing with temptation.
    That is kinda strange.

Also, that some have complained about it here on CBR, I'm surprised to hear tell of love triangles not being as widespread in the comics industry as in other forms of fiction. Still, the occasional "Betty and Veronica" aside (and even Archie choose a side pretty fast; I think the infamy blew that triangle up more than the story did, not that I'm an Archie buff or anything), which usually involve two non-metas, there really aren't that as many examples of serious love triangles in comics. Or at least not in any of the ones I tend to read.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Scott Snyder doesn't talk about Challengers in interviews or on Twitter, I hope development of that book is still going well.
    For now, I wanna say it is. It might have been pushed further back, but that'd be about it.

I wonder what will be the big difference between the Challengers and the Terrifics. The Terrifics is being advertised as a team of explorers, but that's kind of The Challengers's whole deal.
    Seems weird to have two teams with similar concepts in the same launch.

There has been an interview about Immortal Men, which is quite interesting, on CBR : http://www.cbr.com/interview-jim-lee...on-dc-rebirth/

Tbh, I forget this book is even still a thing b/c of the lack of news around it; and I just realized that every Dark Matter or rather New Age of DC Heroes book that was announced earlier this year has a vertical cover that was revealed at nycc except The Challengers

That is kinda strange.

Also, that some have complained about it here on CBR, I'm surprised to hear tell of love triangles not being as widespread in the comics industry as in other forms of fiction. Still, the occasional "Betty and Veronica" aside (and even Archie choose a side pretty fast; I think the infamy blew that triangle up more than the story did, not that I'm an Archie buff or anything), which usually involve two non-metas, there really aren't that as many examples of serious love triangles in comics. Or at least not in any of the ones I tend to read.
    Sideways could be potentially be one of the few with a triangle, just looking at the character designs for the book he more than likely knows the non-super powered twin sisters, he probbly likes the stylish one while the frumpy one has harbored feelings for him

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    There has been an interview about Immortal Men, which is quite interesting, on CBR : http://www.cbr.com/interview-jim-lee...on-dc-rebirth/
    These 3 or 4 characters that I keep seeing, that are on the cover of the comic are no where on the character designs, and the character that we're actually shown are no where on the cover. I will always be confused by that.

Other than that, them mentioning Vandal Savage got me a bit interested in this book.

Am I led to believe that they're adding more to the history nry metal...

~~

~~