Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 257
  1. #136
    Fantastic Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Calling it now, a Duke Thomas book will be part of the Dark Matter lineup. Everyone, prepare your laughter.
    Snyder did say that he have plans for Duke, and that it will be show on Dark Days, and considering that he is probably the writer with the biggest pull on DC he can easily promote a pet character.

  2. #137
    Fantastic Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    So guaranteed tries for me: Silencer (best plot setup and Abnett!), Immortal Men (I have no faith in Lee to stay on the book, but the art looks great and the concept does too. Tynion has proved himself finally on detective comics)

    Maybes: New Challengers (cool art and Snyder, but need to know more about the plot). Sideways (great art, interesting concept but Didio?? Does he write?)
    I didn't know that Didio write either, except for one short story in on of DC's holyday specials. For me the what catches my atention the most is Immortal Men (it reminds me of Eternal Warrior somehow) and Sideways (the art). New Challengers seen like it will have some FF vibe, so I will try it.

  3. #138
    Incredible Member Avi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    610

    Default

    I'll maybe check out Damage and The Silencer. Seems interesting enough.

  4. #139
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,526

    Default

    I guess I don't really understand the point of this initiative. I suppose the point is that to keep your top talent happy and working on your core books you have to throw them a bone every once in awhile. This is like the 20th time DC or Marvel has tried this and it generally follows the same pattern: the #1s sell pretty well because of the talent and then people lose interest because it just doesn't matter - these characters will be forgotten and never used in the future, so what's the point? What frustrates me about this is there are so many existing DC properties that are under or unused that could be revitalized and actually folded into the big universe. Taking your very best talent and having them tied up for 6 months on pet projects just seems like a monumental waste to me. Why not give us JSA, LOSH, Shazam, Swamp Thing, Vixen, Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, Dr. Fate, a proper Earth 2, Captain Atom, and on and on? All of those properties can be a blank slate because of Rebirth and it may actually "matter" to the DCU going forward

  5. #140
    Astonishing Member dan12456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I guess I don't really understand the point of this initiative. I suppose the point is that to keep your top talent happy and working on your core books you have to throw them a bone every once in awhile. This is like the 20th time DC or Marvel has tried this and it generally follows the same pattern: the #1s sell pretty well because of the talent and then people lose interest because it just doesn't matter - these characters will be forgotten and never used in the future, so what's the point? What frustrates me about this is there are so many existing DC properties that are under or unused that could be revitalized and actually folded into the big universe. Taking your very best talent and having them tied up for 6 months on pet projects just seems like a monumental waste to me. Why not give us JSA, LOSH, Shazam, Swamp Thing, Vixen, Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, Dr. Fate, a proper Earth 2, Captain Atom, and on and on? All of those properties can be a blank slate because of Rebirth and it may actually "matter" to the DCU going forward
    DC's popularity is at an all time high right now in the modern era. Maybe they are hoping they will be able to launch a couple new characters that will stick due to that? I can't blame them for the attempt.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, Invincible, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Nightwing, Titans, Trinity, Daredevil, Elektra, Royals, Secret Warriors, Black Bolt, Black Panther, Archie, Ninjak.

  6. #141
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    16,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    So guaranteed tries for me: Silencer (best plot setup and Abnett!), Immortal Men (I have no faith in Lee to stay on the book, but the art looks great and the concept does too. Tynion has proved himself finally on detective comics)

    Maybes: New Challengers (cool art and Snyder, but need to know more about the plot). Sideways (great art, interesting concept but Didio?? Does he write?)
    People seemed to have really enjoyed Didio's OMAC book.

  7. #142
    Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    NW UK
    Posts
    2,212

    Default

    Like many others on here, I'm not sure what to make of this announcement.

    Part of me thinks that, based on what I've seen so far, it all looks quite exciting and worth checking out (assuming I can afford it of course ). I can see this being quite successful if the titles are all minis. The biggest draw for me personally would be New Challengers.

    There's the other side of me though thinking 'Well, I'd probably prefer a new Shazam or Legion title though, if truth be told'.

    Like many others have mentioned, I'll watch this with interest and see how things unfold. Maybe it's not the ideal way to utilise DC's talent pool though. Oh, and welcome back Kenneth Rocafort.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 04-21-2017 at 12:10 PM.

  8. #143
    Astonishing Member unclepulky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    (1) ... but they could sell well, too. About DCYou, We are Robin was a nice idea, and with time could generate good series. It's also what is happening with Young Animal imprint, unique books that receive praise and have their fans. And let's look for both major publishers, who have lots of success with new characters - Harley Quinn and Squirrel Girl, for instance.
    (2) I wonder if there's space for Young Justice, with Titans, Teen Titans and Super Sons. And I wholeheartdly agree with Shazam. Could be a good book.
    1) First, don't even COMPARE Doreen and Harley. One's one of Marvel's greatest characters. The other never should have left the animated universe. And also, Squirrel Girl isn't new. She's been around since the early 90's.
    2) Yes, there is room for Young Justice. They're their own generation, and as worthy of a book as their predecessors and successors.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

  9. #144
    Fantastic Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That's the biggest selling point for me.
    This ! I really like the fact that they seem to be new characters, with their very own niches (hopefully) in the D.C. Universe. I honestly think that D.C. truly needs some new blood, and apparently they have chosen to do it in a good way (at least I think).

  10. #145
    Astonishing Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,232

    Default

    I think the big name creators on these books will keep them afloat but once Jim Lee or John Romita jump ship, I can see sales taking into cancellation levels. I applaud DC for trying new things but I wish these creative teams would have been put on books starring the JSA, Hawkman, Black Lightning, Zatanna, Shazam, and Vixen instead.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Batgirl & The Birds of Prey, Green Arrow. Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps, Justice League of America, Titans, Wonder Woman, & Wonder Woman '77.

  11. #146
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I guess I don't really understand the point of this initiative. I suppose the point is that to keep your top talent happy and working on your core books you have to throw them a bone every once in awhile. This is like the 20th time DC or Marvel has tried this and it generally follows the same pattern: the #1s sell pretty well because of the talent and then people lose interest because it just doesn't matter - these characters will be forgotten and never used in the future, so what's the point? What frustrates me about this is there are so many existing DC properties that are under or unused that could be revitalized and actually folded into the big universe. Taking your very best talent and having them tied up for 6 months on pet projects just seems like a monumental waste to me. Why not give us JSA, LOSH, Shazam, Swamp Thing, Vixen, Booster Gold, Rip Hunter, Dr. Fate, a proper Earth 2, Captain Atom, and on and on? All of those properties can be a blank slate because of Rebirth and it may actually "matter" to the DCU going forward
    Because they're not 'blank slates', something they address in these interviews. Fans have pre-conceived - and divisive - notions of what these characters are SUPPOSED to be. You are constrained by those ideas -- and even if you deliver something fun or interesting, you end up with a large part of the fanbase who refuses to engage because it isn't what was in their own head.

    By starting fresh with a bunch of characters, they're hoping they won't alienate a section of the fanbase from the outset. They're hoping that fans will come for the creators, and stay for the characters, which tended to be the 90s model.

    This is clearly a 90s-style initiative. They're trying to replicate the energy and success of the comics of that era. It's something that Dan goes back to a lot, at conventions, in meetings. He wants action-oriented, high energy comics. He thinks a lot of that is missing from the modern stuff.

    Young Animal is avant-garde reinvention, 80s pre-Vertigo. Wildstorm is modern updates of paranoiac scifi. Rebirth is for classic takes on classic characters. Hanna Barbera is

    And this is for new characters, with artist-driven stories, high energy and high action. I have no doubt that this is Didio's baby, just as Rebirth was Johns', Wildstorm is Jim Lee's, and Young Animal is an outgrowth of the Shelly Bond + Vertigo sensibility (creatively, Ellis and Gerard Way respectively, but I'm speaking of the editorial structure).

    Don't worry. You'll get Shazam and Legion and JSA soon enough, after they cancel some lower performing Rebirth titles. But they're looking to diversify their customer base, and the 'remit' of Rebirth is such that they'll probably be selling new LEGION and SHAZAM and JSA titles to the already existing REBIRTH buyers. This is just something else.
    Deniz Camp
    www.denizcamp.com
    Twitter: @mdesaad
    Check out my latest comic, OUR LOVE IS CHEMICAL

  12. #147
    Ultimate Member Lee Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    7,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think the big name creators on these books will keep them afloat but once Jim Lee or John Romita jump ship, I can see sales taking into cancellation levels. I applaud DC for trying new things but I wish these creative teams would have been put on books starring the JSA, Hawkman, Black Lightning, Zatanna, Shazam, and Vixen instead.
    Part of me thinks that these are vehicles specifically for these creators. Meaning that they will be cancelled if both creators involved leave the book.
    "The truest and sweetest things in life are not those which we see, but of which we dream." -Édouard René de Laboulaye.
    Currently reading: Cave Carson, Doom Patrol, Fantastic Four (60s), Forever People (70s), Journey into Mystery (60s), Mister Miracle (70s), New Gods (70s), Police Comics (40s), Shade the Changing Girl, Strange Tales (60s), Swamp Thing (70s & 80s), Watchmen, Whiz Comics (40s).

  13. #148
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Because they're not 'blank slates', something they address in these interviews. Fans have pre-conceived - and divisive - notions of what these characters are SUPPOSED to be. You are constrained by those ideas -- and even if you deliver something fun or interesting, you end up with a large part of the fanbase who refuses to engage because it isn't what was in their own head.

    By starting fresh with a bunch of characters, they're hoping they won't alienate a section of the fanbase from the outset. They're hoping that fans will come for the creators, and stay for the characters, which tended to be the 90s model.

    This is clearly a 90s-style initiative. They're trying to replicate the energy and success of the comics of that era. It's something that Dan goes back to a lot, at conventions, in meetings. He wants action-oriented, high energy comics. He thinks a lot of that is missing from the modern stuff.

    Young Animal is avant-garde reinvention, 80s pre-Vertigo. Wildstorm is modern updates of paranoiac scifi. Rebirth is for classic takes on classic characters. Hanna Barbera is

    And this is for new characters, with artist-driven stories, high energy and high action. I have no doubt that this is Didio's baby, just as Rebirth was Johns', Wildstorm is Jim Lee's, and Young Animal is an outgrowth of the Shelly Bond + Vertigo sensibility (creatively, Ellis and Gerard Way respectively, but I'm speaking of the editorial structure).

    Don't worry. You'll get Shazam and Legion and JSA soon enough, after they cancel some lower performing Rebirth titles. But they're looking to diversify their customer base, and the 'remit' of Rebirth is such that they'll probably be selling new LEGION and SHAZAM and JSA titles to the already existing REBIRTH buyers. This is just something else.
    I'm still hoping you're on that SHAZAM book, man!
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  14. #149
    Astonishing Member unclepulky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Because they're not 'blank slates', something they address in these interviews. Fans have pre-conceived - and divisive - notions of what these characters are SUPPOSED to be. You are constrained by those ideas -- and even if you deliver something fun or interesting, you end up with a large part of the fanbase who refuses to engage because it isn't what was in their own head.

    By starting fresh with a bunch of characters, they're hoping they won't alienate a section of the fanbase from the outset. They're hoping that fans will come for the creators, and stay for the characters, which tended to be the 90s model.

    This is clearly a 90s-style initiative. They're trying to replicate the energy and success of the comics of that era. It's something that Dan goes back to a lot, at conventions, in meetings. He wants action-oriented, high energy comics. He thinks a lot of that is missing from the modern stuff.

    Young Animal is avant-garde reinvention, 80s pre-Vertigo. Wildstorm is modern updates of paranoiac scifi. Rebirth is for classic takes on classic characters. Hanna Barbera is

    And this is for new characters, with artist-driven stories, high energy and high action. I have no doubt that this is Didio's baby, just as Rebirth was Johns', Wildstorm is Jim Lee's, and Young Animal is an outgrowth of the Shelly Bond + Vertigo sensibility (creatively, Ellis and Gerard Way respectively, but I'm speaking of the editorial structure).

    Don't worry. You'll get Shazam and Legion and JSA soon enough, after they cancel some lower performing Rebirth titles. But they're looking to diversify their customer base, and the 'remit' of Rebirth is such that they'll probably be selling new LEGION and SHAZAM and JSA titles to the already existing REBIRTH buyers. This is just something else.
    This is all probably true, but at the same time, I personally don't feel they should prioritize new ideas until they've fixed at least most of the damage the Nu52 caused. They've fixed some, but they're not even close to being done.

    And even more so than that opinion, this is all me, but "Action-oriented" comics, maybe focused is a better word, are ones I have absolutely no interest in.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

  15. #150
    Fantastic Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Because they're not 'blank slates', something they address in these interviews. Fans have pre-conceived - and divisive - notions of what these characters are SUPPOSED to be. You are constrained by those ideas -- and even if you deliver something fun or interesting, you end up with a large part of the fanbase who refuses to engage because it isn't what was in their own head.

    By starting fresh with a bunch of characters, they're hoping they won't alienate a section of the fanbase from the outset. They're hoping that fans will come for the creators, and stay for the characters, which tended to be the 90s model.

    This is clearly a 90s-style initiative. They're trying to replicate the energy and success of the comics of that era. It's something that Dan goes back to a lot, at conventions, in meetings. He wants action-oriented, high energy comics. He thinks a lot of that is missing from the modern stuff.

    Young Animal is avant-garde reinvention, 80s pre-Vertigo. Wildstorm is modern updates of paranoiac scifi. Rebirth is for classic takes on classic characters. Hanna Barbera is

    And this is for new characters, with artist-driven stories, high energy and high action. I have no doubt that this is Didio's baby, just as Rebirth was Johns', Wildstorm is Jim Lee's, and Young Animal is an outgrowth of the Shelly Bond + Vertigo sensibility (creatively, Ellis and Gerard Way respectively, but I'm speaking of the editorial structure).

    Don't worry. You'll get Shazam and Legion and JSA soon enough, after they cancel some lower performing Rebirth titles. But they're looking to diversify their customer base, and the 'remit' of Rebirth is such that they'll probably be selling new LEGION and SHAZAM and JSA titles to the already existing REBIRTH buyers. This is just something else.
    Exactly this. When Didio talked about diversion I understand that he was talking about more than just race and gender, but also about the type of stories they are going to tell, DC is aiming not just to bring a diverse public to read superhero comics, but also in bringing a audience that usually don't read superhero book.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •