Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    If you didn't mind and have the time to do so, would expound on what these hints of authenticities are? You're pretty vague on them, but stand by them firmly as future judgement criteria, so I'd like to hear what they are so I can understand them in advance.
    There are a few areas here, but one is that there are specific organizations around adoptees. Not all folks take part in them, but a great many do, and form lifelong friendships through them. Acknowledging that (even if the protagonist isn't a member themselves), and showing the character isn't living in a vacuum is. (One example that's not exactly adoptees is that I was pushing in the 90s for Linda Park to deal with the Asian American Journalists Association....a very big, real life group that would have fleshed out Wally's non-heroing life).

There's the area of acculturation; some folks dive headlong into it and become a super big fan of their ethnic background. Others shun it. Acknowledging that there's a variety of reactions and that there are behaviors that cater to it (summer camps for folks to learn about their ethnicity) is a mark of writers doing their homework (and let's realize that while this is a very deep dive, it's something a long form like a continuing series could and should dive into).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    There are a few areas here, but one is that there are specific organizations around adoptees. Not all folks take part in them, but a great many do, and form lifelong friendships through them. Acknowledging that (even if the protagonist isn't a member themselves), and showing the character isn't living in a vacuum is. (One example that's not exactly adoptees is that I was pushing in the 90s for Linda Park to deal with the Asian American Journalists Association....a very big, real life group that would have fleshed out Wally's non-heroing life).

There's the area of acculturation; some folks dive headlong into it and become a super big fan of their ethnic background. Others shun it. Acknowledging that there's a variety of reactions and that there are behaviors that cater to it (summer camps for folks to learn about their ethnicity) is a mark of writers doing their homework (and let's realize that while this is a very deep dive, it's something a long form like a continuing series could and should dive into).
    Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining these. I appreciate it.