Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default DC - Diversity done right

http://www.newsarama.com/34157-diver...ess-event.html

"If somebody had taken the Punisher, and made him female instead of who he is now - Frank Castle is now Francine Castle - that would piss me off. We've got two choices - well, three, but we're not doing any transgenders just yet. I just don't think of this as diversity, I think of it as just a new character. I think it's great to have a new character. I just don't look at is a diversity thing, because there have been great female characters and great characters of color through the decades."

"We've gotta stay one step ahead, and we've gotta be creating new stuff," said DiDio. "Somewhere along the lines we got scared, and we stopped creating new ideas. We just worried about servicing the same existing audience. We have to be more fearless in what we do - but rather than taking risks with existing characters and upsetting people, let's create new stuff and bring new people in."

"One of the reasons it doesn't work is when you take a character that everyone's known for a long time, and because we want to create that diversity, you say 'I'm just gonna change this'," Romita added. "That's force-fitting, it's retrofitting, and it never works comfortably. The idea is to create new characters...to be judged on their own merit."
    Finally somebody wakes up to the idea that replacing white male characters with gender/race variations of them is not something that is natural, and actually quite condescending to the readers.

Finally somebody realizes that people want to read diverse characters as THEIR OWN characters, to be judged at THEIR OWN merit, and not in the role of FEMALE THOR, or BLACK GIRL IRON MAN or BLACK CAPTAIN AMERICA.

If there was any doubt why I'm at DC 100% now, that doubt has faded.

Blue Beetle.

But yeah, Green Lanterns is one of my favorite books now so he is getting closer. This might be him hyping the new titles spinning out of the Dark Metal crossover.

For me, the right way to go is having original diverse characters and diverse legacies, that's the way to go, and DC seems to finally picked up the memo.

Also, Marvel's Legacies > Old heroes for me.

Personally, I think diversity works in both cases. There should be both original minority heroes, and minority legacies.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    For me, the right way to go is having original diverse characters and diverse legacies, that's the way to go, and DC seems to finally picked up the memo.

Also, Marvel's Legacies > Old heroes for me.
    Agreed on all ends.

For real, I've been reading DC for as long as I could read, and never once did I ever have interest in Marvel's characters. Then BOOM! The Marvel legacies popped up, and now I'm actually following a few titles. They're just more interesting and likable IMO.

Cool. Great. Fantastic.

Just keep supporting them after their creation.

Don't keep them sequestered in their books and let them play in the larger universe, don't let them fall off the face of the earth after this promotional period, and don't just keep them around as glorified background fodder.

Personally, I believe both avenues of diversity could work, especially since we are getting to a point where people realize it's fine to allow legacies and their predecessors exist simultaneously, yet independent of one another.

Also, Jane Thor is a part of a storyline by a dude who has been writing Thor for the past 5 years, so I don't see much of a problem with that.

I still would like to see them try solos for their characters they already have in their wheelhouse as well. New characters are cool, but don't neglect the folks that have been around already.
    Last edited by HereNThere; 04-20-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Blue Beetle.

But yeah, Green Lanterns is one of my favorite books now so he is getting closer. This might be him hyping the new titles spinning out of the Dark Metal crossover.
    I like blue beetle if only because I always wondered what the hell was up with the scarab. Its been around for thousands of years and is incredibly durable. So having a new character become its host was fine to me, It just said that The Scarab didn't find either of the other blue bettles who carried it to be worthy hosts

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    It just said that The Scarab didn't find either of the other blue bettles who carried it to be worthy hosts
    I mean, Dan was able to partially use its power, but in Ted's case, I subscribe to the in-universe theory that the reason the scarab didn't give Ted powers was because it could tell he didn't need them.

JRJR just became one of my favorite people in comics. And I still don't like the guy's art. lol This panel though will always have a special place in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by HereNThere View Post
    Cool. Great. Fantastic.

Just keep supporting them after their creation.

Don't keep them sequestered in their books and let them play in the larger universe, don't let them fall off the face of the earth after this promotional period, and don't just keep them around as glorified background fodder.

Personally, I believe both avenues of diversity could work, especially since we are getting to a point where people realize it's fine to allow legacies and their predecessors exist simultaneously, yet independent of one another.

Also, Jane Thor is a part of a storyline by a dude who has been writing Thor for the past 5 years, so I don't see much of a problem with that.

I still would like to see them try solos for their characters they already have in their wheelhouse as well. New characters are cool, but don't neglect the folks that have been around already.
    Can't be better said.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    JRJR just became one of my favorite people in comics. And I still don't like the guy's art. lol This panel though will always have a special place in my heart.

I don't read Spiderman, but very simple question: Did Renew Your Vows or anything revolving around it UNDO One More Day?!

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I don't read Spiderman, but very simple question: Did Renew Your Vows or anything revolving around it UNDO One More Day?!
    Not big on Spidey in general, but I think they are two separate universes?

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    No, it just stars a parallel universe Peter and MJ who are married and have a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    No, it just stars a parallel universe Peter and MJ who are married and have a kid.
    Damn it! 10char

Astonishing Member

There's actually several examples of DC having new characters of diversity taking over established hero mantles from older, white hetero characters, most of which happened waaaaaaaay before the New 52.

Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes taking over after Ted Kord died)
    Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt taking over from Terry Sloan)
    Batwoman (Kate Kane taking over from Kathy Kane)
    Batgirl (Cass Cain taking on the mantle that had been previously held by three white women)
    John Stewart Green Lantern
    Kyle Rayner Green Lantern
    Power Girl (Tanya Spears)
    Guardian (Mal Duncan)
    Manhattan Guardian (Jake Jordan)
    Kid Flash (NuWally taking the role occupied originally by OG Wally)

So, you're saying that Marvel is wrong for engaging in something DC has done several times in the past? I'd rather have it this way than some of the other methods D.C. has employed.
    Favorite Mythologies: Green Lantern, Batman (pre-Flashpoint), Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, the Justice League/JLA (pre-Flashpoint)

DC Pulls - Action Comics; Batman; Hal Jordan & the GLC; Superman; Wonder Woman

Marvel Pulls - Captain America: Steve Rogers; The Mighty Thor

Non-Big Two Pulls - Saga; Archie