Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Clem Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever's Avatar
    First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice

He used to wear the trunks.

His new origin shares similarities with Secret Origin, but only loosely. Birthright and Man of Steel seem to be completely out.

And thank you Jurgens for not using the "I've got you", "Who's got you?" exchange.
    Last edited by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever; 04-20-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Invincible Member Sacred Knight's Avatar

So the trunks were part of the history. Too bad they still are forced to riff off of the movie to a degree, though. The Constitution rescue was better and would have worked just fine again. There's not a whole lot about the Byrne origin I like anymore, but that was one of them. It was the one Jurgens worked with his entire first run too.

I think the divergent point, where Superman will pinpoint a discrepancy, will be after the wedding when Lois gets pregnant. Then they might do something where for the rest of Rebirth Superman has it in the back of his head wondering if fighting this new threat and winning will erase his son.

Not feeling this art, though.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-20-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son. - Jor-El.

what the heck happened to the art of Action??? You'd think I'd be happy to see the trunks at least in his history but this art... bleh...

Churchill was great last issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    what the heck happened to the art of Action??? You'd think I'd be happy to see the trunks at least in his history but this art... bleh...

Churchill was great last issue...
    Churchill was solicited as the artist for this issue, but he probably couldn't deliver two issues in one month or maybe there were re-writes like with 'Superwoman', so someone had to fill in for him.

I think the art here is still good though.

Astonishing Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Supes wearing trunks in the past seems a last minute decision. He doesn't have them in the cover showing his past (AC #977).

I'm gonna take a guess that something will have had to change or else they could have just said this is pre flashpoint Superman, but it's looking more and more likely nothing from the merger happened.

I don't mind that Superman used to wear the trunks, glad he grew out of them though. I'm guessing after he stopped using the black suit and the mullet, he took the underwear off his suit.

It's sad looking at this artist trying to recreate what Gary Frank drew, when he did it so much better. This fill in art is terrible.

Also looks like Jackie has always been part of the daily planet crew in this continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Churchill was solicited as the artist for this issue, but he probably couldn't deliver two issues in one month or maybe there were re-writes like with 'Superwoman', so someone had to fill in for him.
    That wouldn't really make sense, though. These issues were solicited back in January, so he was probably put on them back in December.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

REAL SUIT REAL SUIT REAL SUIT

Shame they've apparently ditched everything from Morrison's Action and completely abandoned any premise that this is really a merger, but that was always in the cards; at least we got this. Even if they never bring this costume back properly - though that's considerably more likely now - at least it's there, and if nothing else that means that great little Superman/Superboy/Krypto story from the Rebirth Christmas Special still fits. Barberi though...nothing wrong with his work, but boy this is a step down from Churchill.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That wouldn't really make sense, though. These issues were solicited back in January, so he was probably put on them back in December.
    Yeah, Superman family solicits have always been written laizly. They called the July issues of Action Revenge parts 1 and 2 even though the arc is supposed to start next month lol

The new costume is the best trunkless version so far, and I like it well enough, but seeing it juxtaposed with the classic does it no favors.

I've seen stronger work from Barbieri, but this is solid.

"...consider the long game." The war against Manhattan? Is that Oz?

Good to see the planet staff back in full force .

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Then last minute rewrites maybe?

These were the same solicits that listed Supewoman #9 as part one of “SUPER WOMEN”, with a completely different story to the one we got this week.

So SO is basically his origin again. How disappointing. Glad the trunks are at least part of his history anyway. It doesn't look like they've saved much of anything from New 52. Or if they have, it obviously isn't anything important. Unless this isn't his "official" origin and they are just rehashing one set of memories and they'll cover his New 52 history later. I doubt it, though. It sounds like they really hated the New 52 and all this is just them getting back to what they consider to be the "real" Superman.
    Jokerize those fries!