Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Azrael a metahuman?

I'm not super familiar with Azrael but I am aware that he has an enhanced physical condition and fighting skills as the result of some sort of psychological training. Do his artificially enhanced physical abilities make him a sort of metahuman?
    I'm on Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/Atlanta962

And YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/false314

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Not anymore then Cass is, I would imagine.

I'm gonna assume you're talking about the original Azrael, Jean-Paul Valley, and not his...sub-par successor Michael Lane.

Jean-Paul does not possess the meta gene. Rather, he was a test tube baby made with various genetic enhancements. Originally, his psychological conditioning made it so that Jean-Paul could only access his incredible strength while he was wearing the Azrael suit, making him vicious and unstable in the process.

Personally, despite not having the gene, I DO consider him a meta. While a lot of his feats are just high level street level stuff, in the last arc of his book, an arc so frustratingly written it pains me to think about, the guy was picking up full sized trees over his head, and throwing them. At that point, in my book, you've got to be meta.
    World's Biggest Cassandra Cain Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not anymore then Cass is, I would imagine.
    The difference, besides the fact that while both of their strength and speed are off the charts, it's Cass speed and Jean-Paul's strength that are completely ludicrous, is their bodies. Cass was conditioned after being born, while Jean-Paul was a genetically engineered test tube baby. That's why I consider Cass non-meta, but Jean-Paul meta.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Was it ever fully explained how the so-called "System" of the Order of St. Dumas worked? It was the source of the Azraels' abilities, but I'm not sure it was ever broken down exactly how it functioned.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I'm gonna assume you're talking about the original Azrael, Jean-Paul Valley, and not his...sub-par successor Michael Lane.

Jean-Paul does not possess the meta gene. Rather, he was a test tube baby made with various genetic enhancements. Originally, his psychological conditioning made it so that Jean-Paul could only access his incredible strength while he was wearing the Azrael suit, making him vicious and unstable in the process.

Personally, despite not having the gene, I DO consider him a meta. While a lot of his feats are just high level street level stuff, in the last arc of his book, an arc so frustratingly written it pains me to think about, the guy was picking up full sized trees over his head, and throwing them. At that point, in my book, you've got to be meta.
    Wikipedia says that anyone in the DCU with some kind of superhuman ability is a metahuman and lists Wonder Woman and Aquaman as examples of metahumans. So if you think his abilities are superhuman he definitely counts as one.
    I'm on Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/Atlanta962

And YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/false314

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Was it ever fully explained how the so-called "System" of the Order of St. Dumas worked? It was the source of the Azraels' abilities, but I'm not sure it was ever broken down exactly how it functioned.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    No, we never really got the details. At least as far as I'm aware. The basics were just that the costume triggered something in his brain which caused the rest of the body's stats to be boosted.

Astonishing Member

I would count him as meta human, since he iirc wasn't completly human and animal dna slised into his genes.

The intersting question is of course if that is still the case with the new version, in his case the system is a computer that is build into his armor so his power are not completly identical with the original version.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The intersting question is of course if that is still the case with the new version, in his case the system is a computer that is build into his armor so his power are not completly identical with the original version.
    For real? What an absolute waste. Good job taking the incredibly interesting and unique original System of Azrael and turning it into something we've seen eleventy-billion times previous.
    #StryfeWasRight - The mutants should have been wiped out. Nihilism, take me away!

Wolverine - "I'm the best there is at what I do and there are only two genders"

I thought that azrael was always the same character(jean paul) in post-crisis world but according DC wiki he is death since 2003, I ignored that, I see him in convergence..

But in convergence appeared the original superman, dead for years..
    Last edited by adrikito; 04-21-2017 at 02:56 AM.

The difference, besides the fact that while both of their strength and speed are off the charts, it's Cass speed and Jean-Paul's strength that are completely ludicrous, is their bodies. Cass was conditioned after being born, while Jean-Paul was a genetically engineered test tube baby. That's why I consider Cass non-meta, but Jean-Paul meta.
    In my eyes
    'Some are born great (Meta), some achieve greatness (not meta), and some have greatness thrust upon them(meta, as they have a form of metagene).'
    EG. Martian Manhunter, Stephanie Brown (face it, you all thought I was gonna say Batman) and Flash
    You know in the DC universe, apparently 12% of people have a form of metagene.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

Hmm, good question. Is Damian a metahuman then?
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Wikipedia says that anyone in the DCU with some kind of superhuman ability is a metahuman and lists Wonder Woman and Aquaman as examples of metahumans. So if you think his abilities are superhuman he definitely counts as one.
    Wonder Woman isn't a meta. I have no idea what Aquaman is or isn't.
    That page also list Superman, who isn't any kind of human, and several people with purely technological improvements like Vera Black and Cyborg.

Jean-Paul has actual powers, but that doesn't make him a meta.
    Last edited by Carabas; 04-21-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I have no idea what Aquaman is or isn't.
    Half-Human, half-Atlantean. No Meta gene.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I thought that azrael was always the same character(jean paul) in post-crisis world but according DC wiki he is death since 2003, I ignored that, I see him in convergence..

But in convergence appeared the original superman, dead for years..
    Jean-Paul did die in 2003, and stayed that way until BR:E (Shocker, DiDio had admitted to not liking him). But in Battle for the Cowl, we met Michael Lane, BY FAR the most powerful character to be directly associated with the BatFam, Lane was also boring as Hell, and he dressed like an Assassin's Creed reject.