Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default The Thing (John Carpenter) vs The Blob (1988 remake)

Two film horror duel it out, who will win?

Will eighties thing couldn't touch original blob, not sure about the original

60S thing would be interesting too since its mothra

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    60S thing would be interesting too since its mothra
    I only know of the 50's Thing, who was a Frankensteins's monster looking fella who was actually a vegetable.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    Will eighties thing couldn't touch original blob, not sure about the original
    Yeah, the original Blob is an alien pile of acid goo. It's not even clear if it has cells that the Thing could infect.

The 1988 version, however, is explicitly a government bio-weapon consisting of terrestrial cellular organisms. I think the Thing just takes that Blob over, though it'd be almost no difference to the outside observer--how do you mutate to body-horror an already shapeless goo?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    The 1988 version, however, is explicitly a government bio-weapon consisting of terrestrial cellular organisms. I think the Thing just takes that Blob over, though it'd be almost no difference to the outside observer--how do you mutate to body-horror an already shapeless goo?
    Seems like it depends.

Didn't they fire it into space, and that is how it wound up in the meteor? If that is the case, it might not be exactly what it was when they did so.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Seems like it depends.

Didn't they fire it into space, and that is how it wound up in the meteor? If that is the case, it might not be exactly what it was when they did so.
    Yeah, that's what happened.

I don't really see it changing much, though - sure, it might have evolved, or been exposed to cosmic rays or such, but nothing to the point where it no longer had a cellular structure. (When I say the original Blob might not have cells that could be infected, I don't mean it might have cells that can't be infected, I'm saying it might not have cells at all.) We can't really argue that being in space for a bit could make The Blob immune to The Thing without creating a precedent that lets, say, Sue Storm or Buzz Aldrin also be immune.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    Yeah, that's what happened.

I don't really see it changing much, though - sure, it might have evolved, or been exposed to cosmic rays or such, but nothing to the point where it no longer had a cellular structure. (When I say the original Blob might not have cells that could be infected, I don't mean it might have cells that can't be infected, I'm saying it might not have cells at all.) We can't really argue that being in space for a bit could make The Blob immune to The Thing without creating a precedent that lets, say, Sue Storm or Buzz Aldrin also be immune.
    There's surely no precedent.

That said, how it wound up in a meteorite does provide an interesting set of question marks as to if it returned exactly as it left.

I don't really see how the Thing could do anything to the Blob.

So I'd never really paid much attention to the 1988 version . Until this thread. Thanks guys I needed more nightmare fuel in my life.

Also don't see how the Thing could absorb the 88 version either given that it dissolves anything it touches as well, dissolving occurs at the molecular level
    Last edited by Hiromi; 04-30-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Astonishing Member The Chou Lives's Avatar

Because the Thing infects organic material at contact. The Blob was like a super huge white blood cell with some intelligence. But the Thing, would infect it via contact before being eaten completely as blob took time given mass to dissolve victims.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Because the Thing infects organic material at contact. The Blob was like a super huge white blood cell with some intelligence. But the Thing, would infect it via contact before being eaten completely as blob took time given mass to dissolve victims.
    It's not upon contact. It would have to infect the cells first. By the time that happened, blob would have already dissolved it.

yep, we saw both in the 1982 and 2011 movies that it doesn't instantly kill or absorb it's victims even when it's able to physically grab them, see Blair grabbing Garry or Edvard tentacle stabbing several people and assimilating Finch, it took time, and the 1988 Blob was acidic enough to instantly start dissolving people, see the girl in the movie theater who it hadn't even absorbed and had half her face melted off just from contact.

Edit: Basically how is it supposed to assimilate something when it requires points of contact and those points of contact are going to be actively melting? It's kind of the borg trying to assimilate xenomorphs thing, they require getting nanites into the bloodstream when the bloodstream is actively destroying the nanites
    Last edited by Hiromi; 05-01-2017 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    yep, we saw both in the 1982 and 2011 movies that it doesn't instantly kill or absorb it's victims even when it's able to physically grab them, see Blair grabbing Garry or Edvard tentacle stabbing several people and assimilating Finch, it took time, and the 1988 Blob was acidic enough to instantly start dissolving people, see the girl in the movie theater who it hadn't even absorbed and had half her face melted off just from contact.

Edit: Basically how is it supposed to assimilate something when it requires points of contact and those points of contact are going to be actively melting? It's kind of the borg trying to assimilate xenomorphs thing, they require getting nanites into the bloodstream when the bloodstream is actively destroying the nanites
    Good god, I am so happy that I'm reading this thread in the morning rather than before bedtime.

P.S. While obviously the Blob touching you hurts like hell (as was demonstrated in the movie) and not that it matters at all to this fight, but I'm wondering just what a victim of the Thing feels when they start to get assimilated. Is there tingling? Are your nerves on fire?
    "Until the lion learns to write, every story will glorify the hunter."
    --African proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post

The way I see it is that the 1988 Blob either:

A) Isn't externally acidic at all - the dissolving is literally its cells eating the victim's cells via phagocytosis. The Thing isn't noted as being stopped by the white blood cells in our blood that do this, so it should be able to infect the Blob.

-or-

B) Emits acid, but only in somewhat limited amounts/potency - it's enough to kill and slough off the surface layer of the Thing's body, but the next layer is going to push aside the dead tissue, effectively using it as a sponge to scour the acid off until a layer is able to touch naked Blob cells, at which point the Thing now has Blob cells that are themselves demonstrably immune to Blob acid.