Default The Thing (John Carpenter) vs The Blob (1988 remake)

Two film horror duel it out, who will win?

Will eighties thing couldn't touch original blob, not sure about the original

60S thing would be interesting too since its mothra

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    60S thing would be interesting too since its mothra
    I only know of the 50's Thing, who was a Frankensteins's monster looking fella who was actually a vegetable.
    So this Zealot comes to my door, all glazed eyes and clean reproductive organs, asking me if I ever think about God. So I tell him I killed God. I tracked God down like a rabid dog, hacked off his legs with a hedge trimmer, and boiled off his corpse in an acid bath. So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as "the soul". So I hit him. What would you do?

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmazilla View Post
    Will eighties thing couldn't touch original blob, not sure about the original
    Yeah, the original Blob is an alien pile of acid goo. It's not even clear if it has cells that the Thing could infect.

The 1988 version, however, is explicitly a government bio-weapon consisting of terrestrial cellular organisms. I think the Thing just takes that Blob over, though it'd be almost no difference to the outside observer--how do you mutate to body-horror an already shapeless goo?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    The 1988 version, however, is explicitly a government bio-weapon consisting of terrestrial cellular organisms. I think the Thing just takes that Blob over, though it'd be almost no difference to the outside observer--how do you mutate to body-horror an already shapeless goo?
    Seems like it depends.

Didn't they fire it into space, and that is how it wound up in the meteor? If that is the case, it might not be exactly what it was when they did so.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Seems like it depends.

Didn't they fire it into space, and that is how it wound up in the meteor? If that is the case, it might not be exactly what it was when they did so.
    Yeah, that's what happened.

I don't really see it changing much, though - sure, it might have evolved, or been exposed to cosmic rays or such, but nothing to the point where it no longer had a cellular structure. (When I say the original Blob might not have cells that could be infected, I don't mean it might have cells that can't be infected, I'm saying it might not have cells at all.) We can't really argue that being in space for a bit could make The Blob immune to The Thing without creating a precedent that lets, say, Sue Storm or Buzz Aldrin also be immune.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    Yeah, that's what happened.

I don't really see it changing much, though - sure, it might have evolved, or been exposed to cosmic rays or such, but nothing to the point where it no longer had a cellular structure. (When I say the original Blob might not have cells that could be infected, I don't mean it might have cells that can't be infected, I'm saying it might not have cells at all.) We can't really argue that being in space for a bit could make The Blob immune to The Thing without creating a precedent that lets, say, Sue Storm or Buzz Aldrin also be immune.
    There's surely no precedent.

That said, how it wound up in a meteorite does provide an interesting set of question marks as to if it returned exactly as it left.

I don't really see how the Thing could do anything to the Blob.