Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Said no writer of detective stories ever.
    It's a rare writer indeed who is opposed to promotional material about their work being released to increase sales.
    Yes, it's still true. In my opinion is implied in every post. Please remember that.

Said no writer of detective stories ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It's a rare writer indeed who is opposed to promotional material about their work being released to increase sales.
    Eh, that wasn't a fair thing to say. Sorry.

Every detective writer (every writer), though, should want their stories to be experienced again and again. If the story is worthwhile, the experience is worthwhile even when you know the outcome. So-called "spoilers" are irrelevant to the quality of the storytelling. Good writers understand this. Even the good detective writers.
    Yes, it's still true. In my opinion is implied in every post. Please remember that.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I would think a good mystery writer would enjoy it when readers pick up on all the nuances they put in the story once they know what's behind the mystery. Assuming the writer bothered doing such a thing.

Unless its a really good twist thats never been done before I don't mind spoilers at all and those types of twist are pretty rare now a days

Nah. I try to avoid them, but fail about 90% of the time, and don't really care.
    If I'm determined to see or read something. Spoilers have zero effect on me.
    I also write Superhero Mystery and Superhero action, and Sci-fi and Sci-fi/horror, and horror.
    Even writing them I have a bare outline of the destination, and even when I get there, i'm like DAYUMMM!!!!
    Then I re-read and even knowing the ending I still enjoy it.
    Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

The video I posted in the OP shows a study. Over 800 people were given 12 short stories to read. But half of them were given stories that had a paragraph in the opening that spoiled the stories. Every single story except one was rated higher by people who were given spoilers. And the unspoiled story that did got higher rating was by the lowest margin.

The interesting thing is that 2/3 of the stories given were of ironic twists or mystery.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    The video I posted in the OP shows a study. Over 800 people were given 12 short stories to read. But half of them were given stories that had a paragraph in the opening that spoiled the stories. Every single story except one was rated higher by people who were given spoilers. And the unspoiled story that did got higher rating was by the lowest margin.

The interesting thing is that 2/3 of the stories given were of ironic twists or mystery.
    That's exactly how I write. There's always irony or twists in the story. ALWAYS Irony.
    Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/

I actually hate spoilers and actively try to avoid them. I'm not always successful mind you but I still try. Honestly, I find that it makes the film, show, book or comic far less enjoyable to me if I know too much about certain things beforehand and, in a few cases, its even led to a complete loss of interest in whatever it was. For example, there have been a couple of book series that I never bothered to finish because people spoiled the endings of them and it completely killed my interest in the rest of the journey.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 04-24-2017 at 05:24 PM.

DC: Action/Batman/Batman Beyond/BoP/Blue Beetle/Bug/Cave Carson/DoomPatrol/Flash/GLS/JLA/Kamandi Challenge/Mister Miracle/Mother Panic/New Super-Man/Nightwing/NW: The New Order/RHATO/Shade:TCG/Supergirl/Superman/Super Sons/Teen Titans/Trinity/Wild Storm
    Valiant: Bloodshot/Britannia/Eternity/Faith/Harbringer Renegade/Ninjak/Quantum and Woody/Secret Weapons/War Mother/X-O Manowar

I usually do that by looking at the name of the writer.
    Some directors are like that, too.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Class 5 Roaming Vapor BeastieRunner's Avatar

The only thing that bothers me about modern spoiler culture is when it is in the headlines, bylines, previews, or the first line in the paragraph.

Even "[SPOILER] Is Luke's Father!" is in poor taste.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The only thing that bothers me about modern spoiler culture is when it is in the headlines, bylines, previews, or the first line in the paragraph.

Even "[SPOILER] Is Luke's Father!" is in poor taste.
    I loathe those, worse is when people drop spoilers in random articles. Read a major Logan spoiler in college basketball preview of all things (poor analogy about Wolverines) when the movie hadn't been out two weeks.

I respect that some people don't care about spoilers, and a good story isn't ruined by spoilers, but some people enjoy a good surprise. No need to go out of your way to take that away.
    Current Pull: Deadpool, Ms. Marvel, Ultimates, USAvengers, Squirrel Girl, Jessica Jones.