Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Would you consider Steve Ditko not wanting to give interviews to be rude?

Many of us know that Steve Ditko doesn't get as much recognition as he should for co-creating various Marvel characters and that he has been a recluse for decades. If I was in his position, I certainly would want to do some interviews to express my views on not getting the fame/royalties I was due. It is possible to balance respecting another's privacy and get an interview. For example, a journalist could simply ask Ditko about question not getting the fame/royalties he was due and the interviewer would be on their way. Also, I think it is possible to be overly protective of one's privacy.

Would you consider Steve Ditko flat-out refusing to give any interviews to rude?

Let's not forget that outside of the above, there could be a case of where the interviewer had a difficult time in their life (like depression or a history of being abused). As such, that interviewer may say that it was Steve's work on [title] that helped them persevere. Also, there is a Ben Kaye 6/28/15 CBR article called "An 8-year-old fan wrote Steve Ditko a letter, and here’s how Ditko responded". If I was Steve, I would feel humbled that a young kid was a fan of my work from the 60s. That should be more special than not getting the fame I was due.
    Last edited by Kadmos1; 04-21-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Not at all. He doesn't owe us anything. In fact we should be grateful that we got so much cool stuff from him. If he wants to be left alone so be it. He is obviously a strange kind of guy with some kind of weird beliefs that we don't have to agree with, but we should respect his wishes.

Nope that was easy.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think intruding on someone's desire for privacy is rude.
    Doctor Doom Appreciation Thread at CBR Forums
    My old SuperHero Squad name: Steel Divine Duke

Niffleheim

What's so rude about not wanting pestering "journalists" interviewing him about his work?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos1 View Post
    Also, I think it is possible to be overly protective of one's privacy.
    Ditko was raised and grew up during a time when people valued their privacy greatly. Seems foreign now, but at one time privacy was a very important part of American life (even more so than fame and fortune to some). Now that we have generations growing up with social media it seems odd to some that anyone would value their privacy.

People also used to keep their politics and religious views to themselves and not wear it on t-shirts or create banners showing off their virtues.

I don't blame Ditko, the man should be able to live his life however he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by stain View Post
    Ditko was raised and grew up during a time when people valued their privacy greatly. Seems foreign now, but at one time privacy was a very important part of American life (even more so than fame and fortune to some). Now that we have generations growing up with social media it seems odd to some that anyone would value their privacy.

People also used to keep their politics and religious views to themselves and not wear it on t-shirts or create banners showing off their virtues.

I don't blame Ditko, the man should be able to live his life however he wants.
    .....there's already that one commentator that ruins it....

Incredible Member

If he doesn't want to give interviews, then he doesn't have to. He is under no obligation to give them. If he wants to be left alone, then people should respect his decision.
    Check out my Deviantart Page: http://leokearon.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stain View Post
    Only because people would go on witch hunts for anyone who defected from "the norm" and engaged in "UnAmerican Activities".

We should respect Ditko's privacy and his desire for it.

Incredible Member

The guy is 70-ish and retired. Why would anybody bother him?

Hell, even if he was 30, he would have a right to refuse interviews (even if he would probably want to give them at that age and point in his career). If nothing else, the bulk of his work is in the past. Anything that needs to be said about it has probably already been said.
    Current pull-file:
    -Sword Quest
    -
    -
    -the Vision (Director's Cut)
    -WWE

-----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    The guy is 70-ish and retired. Why would anybody bother him?
    He is actually 89.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Wanting your privacy respected is rude now?

Maybe some people don't get it and need it spelling out, but to paraphrase Neil Gaiman Steve Ditko 'isn't our bitch' and doesn't owe us anything.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Only because people would go on witch hunts for anyone who defected from "the norm" and engaged in "UnAmerican Activities".
    Maybe I should clarify, and I certainly don't want to start a political or religious thing. LOL

For some people, when Ditko was growing up, it was considered poor manners to discuss religion and politics in public. Professionally, particularly in the creatives fields, people kept their opinions to themselves so as not to alienate their potential customer base. It's well known actors and artists in the 40s, 50s, and early 60s had well groomed public personas for this very reason. As activism became more popular so did speaking out.

I did not mean to make it seems as if people today, in our culture, should not speak out. I would say there is a difference between people that actually do good in support of their beliefs and those that hashtag and t-shirt support causes but that is clearly a different debate for a different time. Very sorry to make it seem that was the point of my post.

My point stands though, Ditko's interview stance and relative privacy are not that uncommon for someone of his age and cultural upbringing. Either way, for every Ditko there is a Stan Lee that is more than willing to be interviewed and documented for forever in pop culture.

Fantastic Member

Nope. Dude wants to be left alone, then leave him alone.