Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 375
  1. #241
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Craig's another one who's hung on too long, it's been...what? Eleven years since he was cast? I know there's only been four movies with him in all that time, but he also lent voice work to video games in between them, and his indecisiveness on whether he'll remain as Bond is one of many things holding up the next movie (others being distribution rights issues)
    If the producers didn't want to keep him, this wouldn't be an issue. Craig is willing to move on, it's them that keep bringing him back.

  2. #242
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    If the producers didn't want to keep him, this wouldn't be an issue. Craig is willing to move on, it's them that keep bringing him back.
    Exactly. If the producers weren’t happy with Craig, or indeed felt it was time to cast someone else, they wouldn't have offered him $200 million to come back. Originally, he was going to do 4 films. They were going to be released every 2 years. So, 2006, 08, 10 and 12. However, the rights issue held it up for 4 years and then Spectre was delayed an extra year. Who knows when the next one will come out. Craig isn't a young guy. I'd be reluctant to do more films that are as physically demanding as Bond ones are at his age. Make no mistake though, if he wasn't wanted he'd be gone like yesterday. He is wanted though.

  3. #243
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Whenever it's pointed out to some people how much ASM sells, so many crawlspacers like to point out that "quality does not equal quality"-- and then they always bring up the success of Michael Bay's Transformers or Justin Bieber's music career. ALWAYS with the Transformers and Bieber.

    But whenever Silver Surfer, a non flagship title, is brought up then quality doesn't seem to be an issue and it is just about sales. Funny how that works. Because, on a quality level, this was the only book from the Big Two (Marvel/DC) that was nominated for Best Ongoing Series in the entire industry. Out of all the hundreds of books put out in North America, Silver Surfer was 1 of 5 nominated in this category. And, in the category of Best Single Issue of the year, it was the ONLY book nominated out of the Top 5 companies (Marvel, DC, Image, IDW, and Boom). And it too home the Eisner for the Best Single Issue of 2016 out of the entire industry.

    It's a shame that a crawlspacer would only look at sales and not quality when SILVER SURFER comes up. Go figure.
    I wonder, since our ol' pal Metamorphosis/Cheesedique is supposedly so good at going through Comichron for sales figures, if perhaps he could dig up the sales for JMS' non-Spider related niche books like DREAM POLICE, BOOK OF LOST SOULS, or THE TWELVE. Wonder how they fared compared to his Spider-sales? It'd be a shame if someone was single-minded enough to equate those non-Spider sales with the merits of either that creator's skills or those titles.
    Rewards from insider elites mean very little in terms of fan popularity and sales IMHO. A lot of crap movies,books,etc. get awards, doesn't mean much if the real buying public and fans don't like it and support it.

  4. #244
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    Rewards from insider elites mean very little in terms of fan popularity and sales IMHO. A lot of crap movies,books,etc. get awards, doesn't mean much if the real buying public and fans don't like it and support it.
    So I see you've come around to accept that it *does* mean something that the FANS have made this current run of ASM Marvel's best selling super hero comic for 5+ years-- something the book hasn't always been.

    Glad you've changed your mind on that, Timmyb52.

  5. #245
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    So I see you've come around to accept that it *does* mean something that the FANS have made this current run of ASM Marvel's best selling super hero comic for 5+ years-- something the book hasn't always been.

    Glad you've changed your mind on that, Timmyb52.
    You may be Marvel's # 1 best selling superhero comic but that isn't saying much with many of Marvels flagship titles dropping in sales and numbers, and that Star Wars outsells you month after month. And it's really telling when the only time Marvel's # 1 selling superhero title can beat DCs flag ship characters is with some lame sales gimmick,variant,sales incentives,over-shipping or high cover prices. Don't forget retailers put Amazing # 25 on the top last month...not consumers, as the numbers for Amazing # 26 will show real soon.

  6. #246
    Moderator oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    I'm not saying your book doesn't sell decent/sustainable numbers...I'm just saying it could be doing way better than it is currently.I'm sure you and Marvel are aware of this and this is partly what is behind the current Legacy {Rebirth} initiative to bring back disgruntled fans such as myself back to Marvel. Marvel can do this...all they have to do is undo OMD once and for all.Is that really so much to ask in return for a massive jump in sales and readership?I know you can't honestly answer that since you work for Marvel but it's something whose time has come.We will be patient and see what this Legacy business is really all about for the time being and how "it will break the internet".
    Timmy, I would have to go back and look to be sure, but I am pretty sure the vast majority (if not all) of your 235 posts here to date have all had to do with your displeasure with Dan Slott as writer of ASM (which is perfectly fine as that is your prerogative) and the notion that ASM would/should do better with another writer and/or retcon of OMD (which is not fine as you can not possibly forecast nor prove that).

    Frankly, Timmy, you come across as someone with an axe to grind and, despite many posts---both from Dan himself and regular posters here----providing actual facts and sound logic to prove your assertion wrong , you continue to rail against Slott and Marvel's decision to keep him on the title (at least for now). You haven't broken any forum rules so I am not posting this as a Moderator but rather as a fellow fan: maybe your time is better spent discussing what you actually like as opposed to something you don't like and doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon? As an example, I really enjoyed Slott's first few years on ASM; after Superior wrapped though (and I thought it wrapped way too fast and left a flat taste in my mouth), I haven't enjoyed the title very much at all. I liked a few arcs here and there but, for me, I was/am ready for Slott to move on. I think he is much better suited for a title like Fantastic Four if that were to be resurrected and, honestly, it's just time for a fresh voice/take on Spidey in the flagship title IMO. Having said that, I don't expect a change until 2018 at the earliest so, for now, I am still reading (just because I have been doing so for many years and it is not so bad that I would stop) and I don't think my posting hundreds of times here or elsewhere will change that. In a similar vein, I loved the first 2 seasons of "Homeland" but it went off the rails for me after that. I still watched but wasn't really happy with it so I eventually stopped. If Slott is still on ASM in 2018 (or whenever) and I am still not enjoying it, maybe I will drop it.

    But to suggest that you know for a fact that Marvel will sell a lot more copies than they are currently (and it has been established that the title is selling very well by any/all metrics available) if they dump Slott and/or retcon OMD is just ridiculous. You don't and can't know that. Maybe they will sell more, maybe they will sell less, maybe they will sell the same. We don't know. But, for now, there is no denying how well the book is selling and I also have to believe that Marvel is much more invested in the book's success than you or I so, again, the foundation of your basic premise that you continue to put forth is patently invalid.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

  7. #247

    Default

    A bunch of posts were deleted.

    The first deletion applies for a reason that made sense in another thread, and was applicable here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Folks, let's leave discussions about Crawlspace (or other forums) out of this thread. Stay on topic, please.
    The second deletion is that there's little value in posting a link to an article you haven't read, nor is it entirely on-topic in the current discussion.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  8. #248
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    Man, if Amazing Spider-Man is selling like crap then Renew Your Vows must be selling like mega crap.

  9. #249
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Man, if Amazing Spider-Man is selling like crap then Renew Your Vows must be selling like mega crap.
    RYV is usually about half of what the main title sells. So this assessment is pretty much true.

  10. #250
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    890

    Default

    While I'm not really against Slott, I think Joe Kelly has been doing a far better job of writing Peter, Parker Industries, and even Anna Maria to an extent over on Spider-Man/Deadpool. The armor seems much more formidable and versatile, Peter is MUCH more assertive, Peter is shown actually building tech and researching things (both for Parker Industries and for Spider-Man - most recently, he appears to have upgraded Otto's Superior Mark II suit), Parker Industries resources are used in their adventures but PI isn't needlessly made a major plot point for every single story arc, and Anna Maria has been present but not naggy. Spider-Man/Deadpool #13 was the best issue featuring Spidey that I've read since ASM vol 4 #1 (by far the best issue by Slott for a long time), and many of Kelly's issues on the book have been reaching a similar level on a consistent basis.

    I think he really deserves a chance on the main title, especially if Parker Industries stays on post-Legacy. Slott seems to be hellbent on wasting this exciting story opportunity, while Kelly has used it much better despite the far less time he has had with it.

  11. #251
    Astonishing Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    4,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    RYV is usually about half of what the main title sells. So this assessment is pretty much true.
    It's also new and an AU, both of which tend to mean lower sales than something that's mainstream, like ASM. (For what it's worth, RYV seems to be getting more consistently positive reviews than ASM, so make of that what you will.)

  12. #252
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Timmy, I would have to go back and look to be sure, but I am pretty sure the vast majority (if not all) of your 235 posts here to date have all had to do with your displeasure with Dan Slott as writer of ASM (which is perfectly fine as that is your prerogative) and the notion that ASM would/should do better with another writer and/or retcon of OMD (which is not fine as you can not possibly forecast nor prove that).

    Frankly, Timmy, you come across as someone with an axe to grind and, despite many posts---both from Dan himself and regular posters here----providing actual facts and sound logic to prove your assertion wrong , you continue to rail against Slott and Marvel's decision to keep him on the title (at least for now). You haven't broken any forum rules so I am not posting this as a Moderator but rather as a fellow fan: maybe your time is better spent discussing what you actually like as opposed to something you don't like and doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon? As an example, I really enjoyed Slott's first few years on ASM; after Superior wrapped though (and I thought it wrapped way too fast and left a flat taste in my mouth), I haven't enjoyed the title very much at all. I liked a few arcs here and there but, for me, I was/am ready for Slott to move on. I think he is much better suited for a title like Fantastic Four if that were to be resurrected and, honestly, it's just time for a fresh voice/take on Spidey in the flagship title IMO. Having said that, I don't expect a change until 2018 at the earliest so, for now, I am still reading (just because I have been doing so for many years and it is not so bad that I would stop) and I don't think my posting hundreds of times here or elsewhere will change that. In a similar vein, I loved the first 2 seasons of "Homeland" but it went off the rails for me after that. I still watched but wasn't really happy with it so I eventually stopped. If Slott is still on ASM in 2018 (or whenever) and I am still not enjoying it, maybe I will drop it.

    But to suggest that you know for a fact that Marvel will sell a lot more copies than they are currently (and it has been established that the title is selling very well by any/all metrics available) if they dump Slott and/or retcon OMD is just ridiculous. You don't and can't know that. Maybe they will sell more, maybe they will sell less, maybe they will sell the same. We don't know. But, for now, there is no denying how well the book is selling and I also have to believe that Marvel is much more invested in the book's success than you or I so, again, the foundation of your basic premise that you continue to put forth is patently invalid.
    I have never said I "know for a fact" that bringing in a new writer would increase sales....those are your words not mine.I have always maintained that it is a "POSSIBILITY" it could...not a set in stone fact. Although my main point {along with many others on this board} was merely that Amazing would benefit from some new blood in order to bring a sense of newness and freshness to a title which is becoming stagnant and stale and might boost interest in the title with a fresh voice and new direction. I have said,and maintain that resolving the main issues of OMD would increase readership and sales. You are conflating two different things as one.No where in the statements you quoted me from above say anything about "a new writer" at all!In conclusion...the whole point of that statement you quoted me from is that Dan's current Amazing numbers of 60,000 - 65,000 could be enhanced even more if OMD was resolved,thereby reuniting the fanbase and bringing back disgruntled fans back to the title,regardless if Slott or someone else was the writer.

  13. #253
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Someplace thats not here
    Posts
    1,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    I have never said I "know for a fact" that bringing in a new writer would increase sales....those are your words not mine.I have always maintained that it is a "POSSIBILITY" it could...not a set in stone fact. Although my main point {along with many others on this board} was merely that Amazing would benefit from some new blood in order to bring a sense of newness and freshness to a title which is becoming stagnant and stale and might boost interest in the title with a fresh voice and new direction. I have said,and maintain that resolving the main issues of OMD would increase readership and sales. You are conflating two different things as one.No where in the statements you quoted me from above say anything about "a new writer" at all!In conclusion...the whole point of that statement you quoted me from is that Dan's current Amazing numbers of 60,000 - 65,000 could be enhanced even more if OMD was resolved,thereby reuniting the fanbase and bringing back disgruntled fans back to the title,regardless if Slott or someone else was the writer.
    See when you say stuff like this its hard not to read your response as you saying it as a fact: "So many try to say that the sales of Amazing are fine without realizing that the title could be making even more every month if Marvel/Slott would just address this crap called OMD and how it keeps Peter a perpetual loser to a demon as long as that deal remains in continuity.This would go a long ways in reunifying the fanbase and increasing sales and readership back to Amazing.Being happy and content with just 60 percent when they could be generating 100 percent if they just made a couple of tweeks and fixed some things seems like real bad business sense to me."

    That does not sound like you giving your opinion but stating it as a fact. Stating stuff like that as if sales are only 60 percent of what they could be without making it clear thats just your view and without backing it up with any kinds of evidence reads as if you are stating a fact when that it certaintly not the case here.

  14. #254
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    629

    Default

    my 2 cents on this tired argument thats been going on since BND.

    -People like to point to ASM's lower sales numbers and say, "See! See! They're failing! What they've done on this book is failing! Now bring back the marriage!" This is the one sticking point of the last 10 years of Spider-Man comics, and any boost in sales is handwaved away by "gimmick/anniversary/variant covers/events/some other excuse". Meanwhile, it looks at ASM in a vacuum and ignores the larger context of all the damn Marvel books performing even worse. If ASM is failing, then just about every comic Marvel publishes is also failing. And Im not even against that argument, as its very clear Marvel is in a commercial rut right now, to the point they need to orchestrate retailer meetings and tell them they're gonna fix things. But this is more a "People are disenchanted with Marvel's current product at $4 a pop" then "People are disenchanted with Amazing Spider-Man because Dan Slott/No marriage"

    -The sad truth is that I dont think there's anybody better at Marvel to write Spider-Man right now. Waid goes faaaaaar too much into the "Peter Parker is a giant fuckin' LOSER" and he writes corny old man jokes. Kelly is too "edgy", breaking Spider-Man morals and worldviews on a whim and the tone is all wrong for the character. Zdarksky's already writing the book. Fraction/Samnee would be The Dream, but one doesnt work for the company any more and the other has another project on the way. So basically we're stuck with Dan, who is currently in his past his prime modern Simpsons era, but is still the most knowledgeable, comfortable writer for ASM Marvel currently employs.

  15. #255
    Moderator oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    my 2 cents on this tired argument thats been going on since BND.

    -People like to point to ASM's lower sales numbers and say, "See! See! They're failing! What they've done on this book is failing! Now bring back the marriage!" This is the one sticking point of the last 10 years of Spider-Man comics, and any boost in sales is handwaved away by "gimmick/anniversary/variant covers/events/some other excuse". Meanwhile, it looks at ASM in a vacuum and ignores the larger context of all the damn Marvel books performing even worse. If ASM is failing, then just about every comic Marvel publishes is also failing. And Im not even against that argument, as its very clear Marvel is in a commercial rut right now, to the point they need to orchestrate retailer meetings and tell them they're gonna fix things. But this is more a "People are disenchanted with Marvel's current product at $4 a pop" then "People are disenchanted with Amazing Spider-Man because Dan Slott/No marriage"

    -The sad truth is that I dont think there's anybody better at Marvel to write Spider-Man right now. Waid goes faaaaaar too much into the "Peter Parker is a giant fuckin' LOSER" and he writes corny old man jokes. Kelly is too "edgy", breaking Spider-Man morals and worldviews on a whim and the tone is all wrong for the character. Zdarksky's already writing the book. Fraction/Samnee would be The Dream, but one doesnt work for the company any more and the other has another project on the way. So basically we're stuck with Dan, who is currently in his past his prime modern Simpsons era, but is still the most knowledgeable, comfortable writer for ASM Marvel currently employs.
    Very well said. I would just say there ARE in fact better choices to take over from Slott who has stayed way too long at the party IMO. Nick Spencer would be great; I also think Waid could do better at this point as well and agreed on Chris Samnee---his throwback style would be welcome after the high tech look of the past few years.
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •