Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series

Default Are you a Whovian? Post here and see what we all have in common

Someone brought this up in another thread and so I figured I would start a thread where Whovians could see what other fans have in common with them. I'll start. But first, here's how I became a Whovian:

I started watching the Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker) in the late 70's when I was 8 or 9 (kind of dated myself there). Once in a while I would catch an episode when my brothers and sisters weren't hogging the TV. I stopped watching the show though when I started playing sports and it was harder to get the show on my TV (it wasn't always broadcasted here in the USA). I saw some here and there for several years, but again, pretty much stopped watching it until the BBC started the show up again in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston playing the lead role of the Doctor.

Suddenly, I was hooked again and I couldn't get enough of it. Old episodes, books, magazines, collectibles. Whatever I could get my hands on. My favorite Doctor is the Tenth (or Eleventh depending on how you look at things) played by David Tennant. Not only is he a brilliant actor, but he brought such charisma, empathy and love to the role that I just find him the most compelling Doctor of all time. And it doesn't hurt that some of the best DW eps happened on his watch. And Rose is my favorite companion. Bad Wolf was such a great concept and beautifully woven into the DW tapestry of lore. I'm not going to lie. I cried and still do every time I watch "Doomsday".

My youngest son saw me watching the show when Matt Smith was playing the Doctor and he sat down and watched an episode with me. He was hooked! And was immediately engulfed by the same majestic and awe of the show that I had. From that moment on, we watched the show together and it was a great bonding experience. We would talk about the show and what we liked/disliked about every episode, etc. His favorite is Matt Smith, by the way. I think sometimes your favorite is usually the one you first watch.

We found out that Matt Smith was going to be at the Chicago Con about 5 years ago or so, so I told him I would take him to it and we both got a picture together with Matt Smith. My son was dressed as Matt Smith with a Fez and bow tie, and he has red hair so everyone at the con kept saying "look! a ginger Doctor!" and coming up to us and asking if they could take a picture with him. He thought it was cool. And they had a life size Tardis there at the con too so he also got his picture taken with it. It was so fun and we had such a blast. I know we'll never forget that day. My son has the Tenth Doctor's screwdriver and several DW posters up in his room (he graduates this year, so his love for the show has not waned although I don't think he likes Capaldi that much).

So, here's some of my favorite things to see if I have anything in common with other Whovians on this forum:

Here's what I like:

My favorite things to do:
    -Read my bible
    -Spend time with my family
    -Watch sports. My favorite teams are the Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Blackhawks, Chicago Cubs and Iowa Hawkeyes.
    -Watch TV and movies
    -Read comics and books
    -I'm a history buff and love watching the History Channel and Discovery Channel.
    -I like almost any show or movie that has to do with time travel.
    -I love animals, especially dogs. I have two.

My favorite TV shows of all time:
    -Doctor Who (obviously)
    -X-Files
    -Battlestar Galactica
    -Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    -Stargate
    -Stargate Atlantis
    -Lost
    -Supernatural
    -Angel
    -Game of Thrones
    -The Vampire Diaries
    -Luther
    -Orphan Black
    -The Walking Dead
    -Breaking Bad
    -The Big Bang Theory
    -Firefly
    -The Office
    -Everybody Loves Raymond

What I'm watching right now on TV:
    -Supernatural
    -The Blacklist
    -Fargo
    -The Americans
    -Elementary
    -The Expanse (the final ep of this season just aired)
    -Homeland (same thing)
    -The 100
    -Kevin Can Wait
    -iZombie
    -The Flash
    -The Originals

My favorite movies of all time (or at least some of them):
    -It's A Wonderful Life
    -Goodwill Hunting
    -Gladiator
    -The Big Lebowski
    -Braveheart
    -The Dark Knight trilogy
    -Star Wars
    -The Hobbit and LOTR trilogy
    -Avengers movies
    -Captain America, Winter Soldier, Civil War
    -Riddick movies
    -X-Men movies (yes, I like them all but the newer ones are the best)
    -Iron Man 1, 2, 3
    -Indiana Jones trilogy
    -Matrix movies
    -Aliens movies
    -The Notebook (yes, I'm a man and I like this movie. I don't care what people think)
    -The Fault In Our Stars (see above)
    -Divergent series
    -Jason Bourne movies
    -Mission Impossible movies
    -Underworld Movies
    -The Passion
    -Die Hard movies
    -M. Night Shyamalan movies
    -I Am Legend
    -Schindler's List
    -The Pianist
    -The Green Mile
    -Saving Private Ryan
    -Terminator movies
    -The 13th Warrior
    -Heat
    -The 300
    -The Breakfast Club

My favorite books:
    -The Bible
    -The Hobbit
    -The Lord of the Rings

Books I'm reading right now:
    -Leviathan Wakes

My favorite Marvel comic book characters:
    -The Fantastic Four
    -Daredevil
    -Captain America
    -Cyclops
    -Rogue
    -Jamie Madrox
    -Emma Frost
    -Jean Grey
    -Wolverine
    -Kitty Pryde
    -Miles Morales
    -Songbird
    -Storm
    -Magneto
    -Doctor Doom
    -Thanos
    -Galactus
    -Captain Britain
    -Meggan
    -The Black Knight
    -Blink
    -Mimic (from Exiles)
    -Thor (both Odinson and Jane)
    -Iron Fist and Luke Cage

My favorite Marvel comic book stores/series:
    -Fantastic Four by John Byrne
    -Fantastic Four by Hickman
    -Fantastic Four by Lee/Kirby
    -Daredevil by Lee/Everett, Wood, Romita, Colan
    -Daredevil by Frank Miller
    -DD by Bendis
    -DD by Brubaker
    -DD by Waid
    -Captain America by Stern/Byrne
    -Cap by Brubaker
    -Uncanny X-Men by Claremont/Byrne and Claremont/Paul Smith
    -X-Men by Claremont/Lee
    -Thor by Walt Simonson
    -Avengers/New Avengers by Hickman
    -Planet Hulk and WW Hulk
    -Excalibur by Claremont and Alan Davis
    -Captain Britain Omnibus by Alan Davis, Moore, Delano and Claremont
    -New X-Men by Morrison
    -Astonishing X-Men by Whedon
    -X-Factor by PAD
    -Wolverine by Frank Miller
    -Wolverine by Millar
    -Old Man Logan
    -Age of Apocalypse
    -Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix
    -Emma Frost
    -Uncanny X-Men by Fraction
    -Uncanny X-Men by Gillen
    -All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men by Bendis
    -Uncanny X-Force by Remender
    -X-Men Supernovas
    -X-Men Blinded by the Light
    -Exiles
    -Legion by Spurrier
    -Secret Warriors by Hickman
    -Ultimate Spider-Man
    -Spider-Man (Miles Morales)
    -Spider-Man Big Time, Superior Spider-Man by Dan Slott
    -Thunderbolts
    -New Avengers by Bendis
    -Secret Wars (1984)
    -Squadron Supreme
    -Infinity Gauntlet
    -Annihilation, Conquest, War of Kings and Realm of Kings
    -Nova by Abnett and Lanning
    -Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett and Lanning

My favorite DC comic book characters:
    -Batman
    -Starman (Jack Knight)
    -Nightwing
    -Robin (Tim)
    -Robin (Damian)
    -Batgirl/Orphan (Cass)
    -Batwoman
    -Catwoman
    -Spoiler
    -Shiva
    -Red Hood
    -Mister Miracle & Big Barda
    -Superboy (Kon-El)
    -Wonder Girl (Cass)
    -Jay Garrick
    -Superman (Kal-L)
    -Saturn Girl
    -Cosmic Boy
    -Lightning Lad
    -Triplicate Girl
    -Bouncing Boy
    -Mon-El
    -Polar Boy
    -Dream Girl
    -XS
    -Gates
    -Star Boy
    -Braniac
    -Orion
    -Black Canary
    -Shazam
    -The Joker
    -Two-Face
    -Riddler
    -Bane
    -Ras al Ghul
    -Talia al Ghul
    -Darkseid
    -Fatal Five
    -Black Adam

My favorite DC comic book stories/series:
    -Batman Year One
    -Batman TDKR
    -Batman Legends of the Dark Knight by Alan Davis
    -Batman by Brubaker
    -Batman No Man's Land
    -Batman Knightfall
    -Batman by Morrison
    -Batman Hush
    -Batman Under the Red Hood
    -Batman The Long Halloween
    -Batman by Snyder/Capullo
    -Batman & Robin by Tomasi
    -Batwoman by JHW III
    -Robin by Chuck Dixon
    -Nightwing by Dixon
    -Batgirl by Puckett
    -Legion of Super-Heroes by Levitz/Giffen
    -LOSH by DnA
    -Final Crisis Legion of 3 Worlds
    -Starman by James Robinson
    -JSA by Geoff Johns
    -Green Lantern by Geoff Johns
    -Green Lantern Corps by Tomasi
    -Teen Titans by Geoff Johns
    -Orion by Walt Simonson
    -JLA by Morrison
    -JLA by Waid
    -JLA Earth 2
    -Crisis On Infinite Earths
    -Infinite Crisis
    -Superman Our Worlds At War
    -All-Star Superman
    -JLA Lightning Saga
    -Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes (Action Comics 858-863)
    -Crisis On Multiple Earths
    -Green Arrow by Lemire

My favorite Indy/Vertigo/Imprint comic book characters:
    -Hellboy
    -Liz
    -Buffy
    -Angel
    -Xander
    -Spike
    -Faith
    -Death (from East of West)
    -Boy Blue (from Fables)

My favorite Indy/Vertigo/Imprint comic book stories/series:
    -Hellboy
    -BPRD
    -Buffy
    -Angel & Faith
    -East of West
    -Lazarus
    -The Sword
    -Planetary
    -Fables
    -Bone
    -The Umbrella Academy
    -Empires
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

"I am a mad man with a box!"---The Doctor

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Wow! What a post dear Whovian - I mean : THE Whovian - thank you for sharing all your tastes.

I'll be shorter in my answer. In fact I won't answer to all, and I won't do it at once today!

You know already that I'm a little bit a Whovian myself, as I told you once that I had a small collection of Daleks (three mugs, a small box with a lot of magnets and maybe twenty different figurines, not to forget an excellent Dalek bottle opener and the wonderful Desktop Patrol Dalek which are both so fun as you can see on the vids ).

I discovered the Doctor maybe ten years ago, when a channel on French TV used to air the first two seasons of the new series almost every day, or every night. It took me months to finally watch an episode! The few images I used to see while skipping through different channels always seemed me kinda lame and poor... I was stupid, I know...

Then, one night, as there was nothing valuable to watch elsewhere, I finally decided to have a longer look. And I was hooked! I don't remember which episode it was, but I know what I loved : the doctor himself (Eccleston or Tennant?) of course, the humour, the pacing, the incredible quality of the writing - of most of the episodes individually and of each season as a whole - the mix between bold hard Sci-Fi and popular TV-Show for all the family (damn! BBC knows its stuff... Nobody ever did something like that in France). And, even more important : the Daleks, the marvelous accents from all parts of the UK... and Rose Tyler... Rose...

That scene made me a fan :

And you're not the only one to cry every time you watch 'Doomsday', you know... To be fair, even thinking about it, or about the music of the ending, makes my eyes kinda wet...

I never watched any episode from the old/classic series though, but still follow the series and it never disappointed me. I love every doctor and every companion, and was really touched by the last episode I saw : 'Hell Bent', where both Capaldi and Jenna Louise Coleman were perfect, with such a clever and emotional writing of course...

As for my tastes, I will just say that I love animals - especially... cats!

And that I'm a huge fan of the very underestimated Riddick movies! So underrated... all of them...
    Last edited by Abe; 04-25-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    That scene made me a fan :

I love that scene too. Great episode!

And you're not the only one to cry every time you watch 'Doomsday', you know... To be fair, even thinking about it, or about the music of the ending, makes my eyes kinda wet...
    Glad I'm not the only one

I never watched any episode from the old/classic series though, but still follow the series and it never disappointed me. I love every doctor and every companion, and was really touched by the last episode I saw : 'Hell Bent', where both Capaldi and Jenna Louise Coleman were perfect, with such a clever and emotional writing of course...
    You should really try and check out the classic DW episodes. They're really cool.

And that I'm a huge fan of the very underestimated Riddick movies! So underrated... all of them...
    It's a great series. I like everything about it. Vin Diesel was perfect for that part.
    I will fight. Forever. For everyone, whether they know it or not. Whether they are watching or not. I will always fight.---Daredevil

"There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss, but when it looked back at us... you blinked."---Batman

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.---John 3:16

Come on now, I know there are more Doctor Who fans here.

BANNED

I've always wanted to get into Dr Who. But the sheer volume of material out there is making me shy about diving in.

I've seen *most* of the new series, barring a couple random episodes I missed, I have kept up with all of Capaldi's episodes though. I first saw the Eccleston episodes when Syfy was playing them (probably not to long after they first aired) but then lost interest when he was leaving. Eventually ended up watching a lot of Tennant's episodes in re-runs and getting back in only to do the same thing when Smith later on. I started actually making sure to watch the episodes as they released starting with Day of the Doctor. My favorite so far has probably been the 4th new season, with Tennant's doctor and Donna Noble. I like Capaldi a lot but i've felt his run has had a lot of spotty writing(and way to much focus on Clara).

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    I've always wanted to get into Dr Who. But the sheer volume of material out there is making me shy about diving in.
    I can see how this would be a concern. I would recommend starting with the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) in 2005 and continue from there to the current Twelfth Doctor.

Then if you want to, go back to the beginning and have fun watching the other Doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    I've seen *most* of the new series, barring a couple random episodes I missed, I have kept up with all of Capaldi's episodes though. I first saw the Eccleston episodes when Syfy was playing them (probably not to long after they first aired) but then lost interest when he was leaving. Eventually ended up watching a lot of Tennant's episodes in re-runs and getting back in only to do the same thing when Smith later on. I started actually making sure to watch the episodes as they released starting with Day of the Doctor. My favorite so far has probably been the 4th new season, with Tennant's doctor and Donna Noble. I like Capaldi a lot but i've felt his run has had a lot of spotty writing(and way to much focus on Clara).
    Tennant is my favorite Doctor and I love his episodes, especially the ones with Rose. I didn't like it when they brought on Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor because he was killing the part as The Cardinal in The Museketeers and he had to leave that show to do Doctor Who. But he's a brilliant actor and has been very good as The Doctor.

I know some fans don't like how Clara was kind of the focus of the series and seemed to be bossy and whatnot, but I liked her.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post

I know some fans don't like how Clara was kind of the focus of the series and seemed to be bossy and whatnot, but I liked her.
    Don't get me wrong I wasn't someone who was complaining she was still around, but maaaaaaaan did "Hell Bent" make me sour on her, I thought "Face the Raven" was a pretty decent end for the character and the stuff after it was taking focus off the actual interesting stuff going on(mainly, Galifrey stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Don't get me wrong I wasn't someone who was complaining she was still around, but maaaaaaaan did "Hell Bent" make me sour on her, I thought "Face the Raven" was a pretty decent end for the character and the stuff after it was taking focus off the actual interesting stuff going on(mainly, Galifrey stuff).
    See, I loved those episodes. And her death made the Doctor go Clint Eastwood on everyone. It was awesome

I started watching Who at the tail end of the Pertwee years, though I was too young to remember much. I wasn't much interested in Tom Baker's tenure, preferring the super-heroics on competing channels. Then, having more or less ignored Who for years, I saw Earthshock and became a rabid fan. I read the all the Target novelisations I could get my hands on (there were no reruns of Who in the UK back then barring selected episodes of the previous season - no past Doctors, no full season reruns), and eventually got to see all the existing episodes when they were shown on satelite tv in the 90s. Doctors 2,3,4, and 5 are favourites from the old series, 10 from the new. I'm not a big fan of the post 2005 series, finding it too self aware and jokey/sentimental, though some episodes I think are excellent.

Favouite shows in common
    Doctor Who (classic series)
    Buffy (seasons 1-3)
    Angel (season 1&5)
    Orphan Black (season 1)
    BSG reboot (season 1)
    Used to love the X-Files in the first couple of seasons, but I haven't much enthusiasm for it now.
    Lost (season 5 - not wild about Lost as a whole, but s5 is gold)

What I'm watching on tv right now in common
    Pretty much everything on your list except Supernatural and Kevin

Favourite movies in common
    Star Wars
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    The Matrix
    Die Hard
    The Terminator

Favourite Marvel characters in common
    Captain Britain (Moore/Davis)
    Wolverine (mainly pre 90s)
    Thor (mainly Simonson)
    Iron Fist

Favourite Marvel comic book series in common
    Uncanny X-Men (Claremont)
    Thor (Simonson)
    Captain Britain (Moore/Thorpe/Davis)

Favourite DC characters in common
    Shazam

Favorite DC stories in common
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Legion of Super-Heroes ( Levitz/Giffen)

Favourite indy series in common
    Hellboy
    Umbrella Academy
    Last edited by Panic; 04-30-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I started watching Who at the tail end of the Pertwee years, though I was too young to remember much. I wasn't much interested in Tom Baker's tenure, preferring the super-heroics on competing channels. Then, having more or less ignored Who for years, I saw Earthshock and became a rabid fan. I read the all the Target novelisations I could get my hands on (there were no reruns of Who in the UK back then barring selected episodes of the previous season - no past Doctors, no full season reruns), and eventually got to see all the existing episodes when they were shown on satelite tv in the 90s. Doctors 2,3,4, and 5 are favourites from the old series, 10 from the new. I'm not a big fan of the post 2005 series, finding it too self aware and jokey/sentimental, though some episodes I think are excellent.
    Yeah, the Eleventh Doctor was always joking too much. I still like it overall, but there were too many episodes where he seemed too much like a clown. Joking all the time and whatnot.

Favouite shows in common
    Doctor Who (classic series)
    Buffy (seasons 1-3)
    Angel (season 1&5)
    Orphan Black (season 1)
    BSG reboot (season 1)
    Used to love the X-Files in the first couple of seasons, but I haven't much enthusiasm for it now.
    Lost (season 5 - not wild about Lost as a whole, but s5 is gold)
    Orphan Black gets better and better. The final season comes out in June. You might want to check out the rest of the seasons just in time to watch the final season. I love the show.

Favourite indy series in common
    Hellboy
    Umbrella Academy
    YES! I think you're the only other person on these boards that I've heard say they like Umbrella Academy. I heard they were going to make a movie but the buzz for that has died down, unfortunately.

I'm up to date with Orphan Black, I just feel it got worse rather than better.

I'm up to date with Orphan Black, I just feel it got worse rather than better.
    Oh. Well, maybe you'll like the final season

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I discovered Doctor Who in 1984 when the local PBS station here in Philly showed Tom Baker episodes. And while the special effects made what I saw on the original Star Trek look cutting edge, I fell in love with the show and have been a fan ever since. Just for fun, here's my pecking order (in descending order) of the actors who've steered the TARDIS to all those fabulous adventures in time and space:

1) Tom Baker
    2) David Tennant
    3) Peter Davison
    4) Matt Smith
    5) Colin Baker
    6) Jon Pertwee
    7) Peter Capaldi
    8) Paul McGann
    9) Christopher Eccelston

Never saw: William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Sylvester McCoy
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!